Blood Work Results Before Propecia Back

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well just got my blood work results back. Unfortunately, despite requesting it, DHT was not tested. Here are the results from the Serum Androgenic Hormone Investigation.

Total Testosterone: 12.1 nmol/L Ref.Range (8.3- 30.2)
SHBG 48 nmol/L Ref: (13- 71)
Calculated Free Testosterone 189 pmol/L Ref: (225-725)
Sensitive Oestradiol 79 pmol/L Ref: ( 50-150)

As you can see, my free testosterone is low while total testosterone is on the low side too but within the normal range. SHBG and estrogen look normal.

How common are results like this in balding males and does it make any difference if I now start Propecia?

Last edited:

TheSneakyTruth

My Regimen
Reaction score
These are just baseline results. It's really hard to draw any conclusions from these, other than normal male, with regards to balding. This is due to people responding differently to different levels of compounds. Some people's follicles are highly sensitive to androgen receptor (AR) function, whereas others are not.

It's unfortunate that there are no DHT results. Usually labs use a LC/MS assay to determine DHT quantity, check to see if this isn't listed elsewhere on your blood work results. Furthermore, getting results post finasteride-commencement will be valuable in determining your response to the drug.

Lastly, don't get too hung up on the low testosterone values. T is highly variable, and even changes throughout the day. It's highest immediately after you wake up, and if you sleep light in the mornings, it can drop from as a result of that too. The "test before 9am" is a catch all phrase to encourage some form of consistency across patients.

Furthermore, SHBG and albumin sequester androgens very strongly. If your SHBG was very high, it would effectively mean your overall androgen function was low, despite a high total testosterone. Just keep an eye on the free testosterone, as it may just be a test anomaly. Furthermore, free test can be raised by finasteride (usually leads to raise in free oestradiol too),

g.i joey

Reaction score
All I could say is that it you having lower range Estro before starting finasteride is def a good thing. That's the number I'd wanna keep an eye on for post treatment tests

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
These are just baseline results. It's really hard to draw any conclusions from these, other than normal male, with regards to balding. This is due to people responding differently to different levels of compounds. Some people's follicles are highly sensitive to androgen receptor (AR) function, whereas others are not.

It's unfortunate that there are no DHT results. Usually labs use a LC/MS assay to determine DHT quantity, check to see if this isn't listed elsewhere on your blood work results. Furthermore, getting results post finasteride-commencement will be valuable in determining your response to the drug.

Lastly, don't get too hung up on the low testosterone values. T is highly variable, and even changes throughout the day. It's highest immediately after you wake up, and if you sleep light in the mornings, it can drop from as a result of that too. The "test before 9am" is a catch all phrase to encourage some form of consistency across patients.

Furthermore, SHBG and albumin sequester androgens very strongly. If your SHBG was very high, it would effectively mean your overall androgen function was low, despite a high total testosterone. Just keep an eye on the free testosterone, as it may just be a test anomaly. Furthermore, free test can be raised by finasteride (usually leads to raise in free oestradiol too),
I should also mention the test was done about an hour after waking.

diffuse_thinner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm must say I'm quite alarmed about the low T levels. I should also mention that I suffer from mild ED and am overweight despite losing a lot of weight over the past couple of years. Regarding Propecia, one thing I did not mention was that I took it for about three weeks back in 2006. I immediately stopped getting morning woods and a decade on I still seldom get them. I was not aware of finasteride side effects at the time and thought losing morning erections was just to do with getting older although I was only 23 at the time( 33 now).

Smallville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm must say I'm quite alarmed about the low T levels. I should also mention that I suffer from mild ED and am overweight despite losing a lot of weight over the past couple of years. Regarding Propecia, one thing I did not mention was that I took it for about three weeks back in 2006. I immediately stopped getting morning woods and a decade on I still seldom get them. I was not aware of finasteride side effects at the time and thought losing morning erections was just to do with getting older although I was only 23 at the time( 33 now).

Getting bloodwork before/after really won't do a thing if you do get PFS...

A lot of guys with PFS have normal hormonal levels..

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well just got my blood work results back. Unfortunately, despite requesting it, DHT was not tested. Here are the results from the Serum Androgenic Hormone Investigation.

Total Testosterone: 12.1 nmol/L Ref.Range (8.3- 30.2)
SHBG 48 nmol/L Ref: (13- 71)
Calculated Free Testosterone 189 pmol/L Ref: (225-725)
Sensitive Oestradiol 79 pmol/L Ref: ( 50-150)

As you can see, my free testosterone is low while total testosterone is on the low side too but within the normal range. SHBG and estrogen look normal.

How common are results like this in balding males and does it make any difference if I now start Propecia?

imo - none of this even really matters in regards to male pattern baldness. If you're worried about sexual sides that's a different thing. I had mine tested before and after finasteride. My T was elevated on finasteride and my DHT dropped significantly. Lost hair like I was going through chemo. AR activity is the only thing that matters. You can have super low DHT and still lose hair like crazy.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
AR activity is the only thing that matters. You can have super low DHT and still lose hair like crazy.

That's a very true statement i.e. that you can have low natural ("natural" meaning no finasteride or dutasteride involved) serum levels of DHT and still lose your hair like crazy. I'm living proof of that, I've been balding in the NW6 pattern very gradually for the roughly the past decade, got my DHT levels tested a year ago and they were right at the very bottom of the normal range. Got on finasteride and been on it for now 9 months, not seen any regrowth, possibly the loss has halted but as my hair loss was/is so gradual I can't say for sure yet if finasteride has halted it, at least until probably 2 years of being on finasteride then checking photos I have from 2 years ago.

I believe the guys who gain the most from finasteride are the ones that have very high natural levels of serum DHT and either low or normal AR activity. People like me with very low natural DHT but still having hair loss, have very high AR activity so possibly even the slightest bit of DHT in my scalp is going to continue my loss, only time will tell whether or not the 69% reduction of serum DHT from taking finasteride will help me, but as I said: I'm 9 months in and have nothing to write home about as yet!

Last edited: