Blood Pressure & Propecia

Wonko

Reaction score
I have a question. Is there any connection between propecia & blood pressure? Since I started taking propecia, my doctor has said my blood pressure is "a little high". I think I'm rather young to have high blood pressure (24), but my family is wrought with blood pressure (they're all bloddy nuts!)

Anybody out there with experience on this issue?

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
No, but Minoxidil does.

The Gardener

Reaction score
But minoxidil is a vasodilator, it would lower blood pressure, not raise it.

That's actually how it was discovered. Upjohn originally developed minoxidil as an oral treatment for high blood pressure marketed under the name "Loniten". During trials, they noticed that several users reported increased hair growth and regrowth in previously balding areas.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
It will lower your blood pressure in the short term, but it was also widely reported that minoxidil as blood pressure medication was not a good option for long term sufferers as the body resited against it quite quickly and this is why it caused severe side effets such as kidney failure and water retention.

It is possible for people's bodies to react negatively to Minoxidil, or perhaps from withdrawals, especially in this case where he said blood pressure problems run in the family which means there's an underlying heart condition present.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Loniten is a commonly prescribed medication and people use it orally for high blood pressure every day. As an oral supplement for high blood pressure, the normal starting dosing is 5mg taken twice a day, and then increased up to 10mg per dose on an ongoing basis. Depending on the particulars of a person's condition, this dosage is regularly upped to 20 mg per dose, twice a day, and is indicated to dosages up to 40mg per dose, all within very safe FDA guidelines.

Given this I doubt the assertion that 1ml, applied topically, not orally, twice a day, represents any sort of statistical risk to a user. Come on, they are allowed to sell the sh*t over the counter... it's as easy to buy Rogaine as it is to buy a pack of tic tacs! Given the overly litigious nature of our society, I doubt this would be done if any pattern of systematic harm was noted over minoxidil's long history of safe usage among human patients.

This is NOT to say that a particular user, especially if they have heart disease, might want to think twice about using minoxidil... I agree that care must be taken. But, let's keep things in perspective.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with what your saying... BUT, there has been plenty of reported cases of systematic absorption causing blood pressure problems.

Google it and have a look.

What prompted me to say what I said was because I looked at his regime, it states that after using minoxidil he had 'strange and weird side effects.' Some people are just very sensitive to some drugs and it appears it's affecting him badly as he might have an underlying blood pressure problem.