Blending a 5-inch system into a longer style - any experience or photos?

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been a lurker for years but finally had a consultation and am taking the plunge next month.

My existing hair is a chin length side-part 'bob' kind of style, more or less all one length, with a slight wave. (This style should also save me from having to worry about the blend at the back and sides too). I am very receding and quite thin on top, but the consultant said I have very good back and good high sides, so the piece will be cut in quite a narrow shape to keep as much real hair as poss.

I'm going for the attached mono lace top with clear skin perimeter and the length of it is listed as 5-6 inches.

My question is, do you think such a piece will blend ok into my existing hair, which is longer (I guess like 8 or 9 inches to chin level). The consultant seemed to think so but I find it difficult to envisage how it might look. I had hoped to purchase a system with longer hair so that my style would all be one length, but the custom orders are on an 8 month wait list and I don't want to DIY it so am making do with the shorter system.

If anybody has had a similar blend would be good to hear your experience, thanks.

Attachments

• piece.png
    piece.png
    636.3 KB · Views: 93

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I do this. My hair is about about 10 to 12 inches long. I have good bio hair on the back and sides, but it was thinning and receding on top so I just shaved the balding area on top and use a 6 inch stock lace system on that area, which I blend in with my bio hair. It isn't an exact match colour wise or texture wise, but it's close enough. I wanted to get a custom system that was as long as my bio hair, which would completely cover my bio hair at the back and sides, but due to the pandemic it's been difficult (my current supplier has taken nearly a year and still not done my custom order). Ideally it's better to cover the entire length of your bio hair with the hair system, however it's possible to do it the way I do as a starting point if you have longer hair that's thinning on top.

And why 5 inches? Standard stock systems are 6 inches my friend!

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes if the colour and density is right for the system and matches your donor side/back hair...
If the density is too much...a faded/undercut style is the only thing that will work unless you are able to thin out the hair system.
I saw a video on MG Ford saying on an all lace base you can use acetone and dot certain hairs to remove them to thin out the hair system.
Wrong colour match can be easily dyed...But not ideal if the dye doesn't last long...

HenryP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers both. I've booked my appointment now and we've decided on a different system after all - a full lace 6-7 inches, so we'll see how it goes.

zero0x

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a video where he gets man bun style with a hairpiece. Youtube link : watch?v=dKjFFR13oEU