Bladder/Abdominal Pains

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I posted on here a few days ago about quitting but had a change of heart a couple of times. I got 5 days into 0.625mg of finasteride everyday, said I was going to quit because of aching testicles and dull ache in bladder/groinal/abdominal region.

I decided to continue though as I really don't want to be bald and thought maybe I could ride it out. Plus I had to stop taking Minoxidil because it was making me short of breath. I didn't want my hair to be defenceless so the next day I took another 0.625mg. Pain in my bladder returned and little more intensely over a 3 hour period at work before dying down. I also started getting a slightly aching back but that could be because of the physical nature of my work.

Today would be day 7 but I skipped the dose as I'm getting worried. I don't feel any urge to pee but the aching bladder/stomach and sometimes area around my groin still comes and goes. Also when I pee a little bit of dribble comes out afterwards which I don't normally have? I hear stories of Prostasis and wondered if somehow I've done something to my prostate/bladder?

Anyone got any experience? I'm supposed to go on holiday next week and really don't want to have contracted a UTI or Prostasis somehow? It seems unlikely but possible?

TheLoneWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree a physician's visit should help put your mind at ease. More frequent urination is a pretty common side effect on finasteride. I pissed practically every hour on the hour for over 10 years. If you're holding in that urine, you can probably expect some bladder pains which will refer to your back if big enough.

Let's look beyond the finasteride though. Have you been taking Vitamin C lately to stave off a cold? Do you have a history of kidney stones in your family? Have you recently had unprotected sex with anyone new?

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree a physician's visit should help put your mind at ease. More frequent urination is a pretty common side effect on finasteride. I pissed practically every hour on the hour for over 10 years. If you're holding in that urine, you can probably expect some bladder pains which will refer to your back if big enough.

Let's look beyond the finasteride though. Have you been taking Vitamin C lately to stave off a cold? Do you have a history of kidney stones in your family? Have you recently had unprotected sex with anyone new?

I'm pissing pretty frequently but I also drink a lot of liquids, a lot of water mostly so it's not that. The back pain comes and goes also, I've had back pain before though because like I said I have a very physical job. The pain has only started in the last few days though, coincidentally with the finasteride.

I'm taking Viviscal 1x a day (supposed to help with hair, contains Vitamin C & Zinc amongst other things). I've had a slight cough/runny nose since last Sunday though. Not really sure what to make of all this?

Going to continue to stay off the finasteride so that I can hopefully enjoy my holiday and then maybe I'll start up again? Don't really have a choice, I'm only 22 so getting a hair transplant isn't really an option is it?

Oh and I had unprotected sex with a girl about 1 month ago, got tested for Chlymydia and Gonorrhea, got results yesterday, all came back clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a secondary though. I'm on generic Finasteride, not branded Propecia. Is it possible my body doesn't like the filler in the pills? I had heard some people make the switch and get less sides?

TheLoneWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people are using generic Finasteride since its hard to get a doctors prescription for Propecia and have insurance cover it. I would give the finasteride another shot after your holiday and when you're feeling better. You are likely to see some side effects on it but it could be those sides go away after a couple of weeks once your body adjusts. I wouldn't give up on it yet since it's pretty much the best thing out there for hairloss.

I looked up the Viviscal but couldn't find the amount of Vitamin C it contains. I doubt it's enough to cause a kidney stone. Good show on the STI tests. You just never know so glad you got the all clear. My advice is to buy a foam roller for your back (I have a bad back and the foam roller when it's hurting does me an IMMENSE amount of good), wait until your holiday is over and you're feeling 100%, then try the finasteride again and report back.

Edit: IMO, the Viviscal sounds like snake oil. Make sure your bladder symptoms aren't present when you take it while off the Propecia because for all we know, their "proprietary Amino blend" is causing it.

AussieM

Reaction score
Every fortnight or so I get this pain too. I'm on finasteride daily have been for a couple years. I spoke to my doctor about it and he wasn't concerned but he did say 'its healthier to not be on finasteride' which I already knew.

Honestly it doesnt worry me but if it happens more often you should defs see a doctor

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funnily enough I had very very weakly last night before bed and it passed?

Didn't see a doctor. Going to hold off for now, I've lowered dose to 1.25mg every 3 days. I actually made another thread with general questions which no one has replied to yet though.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I completely forgot to reply. I actually made another thread with General hair loss questions I was hoping to get answers to but so far no responses.

I'm on finasteride again. 1.25mg every 3 days. Very very dull bladder/ball ache last night for about 20 minutes. Also having slightly weaker erections, takes me a while longer to get it up and then sits around 85/90%. It's all in my other thread if you have answers for this though? Think it's been pushed to page 2 now.

DeadLine

Reaction score
Kidney stones perhaps. Or maybe it could be thanks to alcohol. Not drinking enough water can also cause issues in the long run.