Blackwell-Synergy, "Hair Cycle Clock, A Guided Tour&quo

michael barry

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
One fine soul linked the most complex article Ive ever seen about the various cycles of the hair follicle and what the researches Ralf Paus and Kerstin Foitzik of the Dept. of Dermatology at the University Hospital of Hamburg-Eppendorf , Germany have found. Tom Hagerty called it "scientific and technical writing at its best" and it was on his site that it was linked. Its way over my head, and it will cost you $26 to have access to it for 30 days.

The article summarizes competing models of the so-called "hair cycle clock even going into detail of the various 8 parts of the anagen phase and the several parts of telogen (who knew?). I tried to link the explicit article, but the addy is just way to long to type. If you go to blackwell-synergy.com and go to the search box there and type in "Hair Cycle Clock" you can read it in all its very long, complex glory. If not, you can go to the discussion forum of Male Pattern Baldness on Hairloss-Reversible.com and scroll down to the bottom few threads and you will see one called "Baldness, Vested Interests, and Money" that my own silly *** started. The article is linked about halfway down the various posts and its title highlighted.

Tom fielded an intelligent question on his post from some poster who theorized that the so-called hair cycle clock must be located in one of the micro-stuctures that remain in the telogen phase. Tom stated that the structure of the follicle that remains in telogen is everything above the arrector pilli muscle. The arrector pilli is inserted in the area of the bulge where the stem cells are located. In one of the earlier 8 anagen phases, these stem cells migrate down to help form the new anagen follicle. One other micro structure remains in telogen also. This is what Dr. Rolf Paus calls the "secondary hair germ" This small cluster of epithelial cells located between the bulge and dermal papilla can hardly be seen even under a powerful microscope. Dr. Paus answer to "where does the HCC reside?" was that the HCC is autotomous and resides in the follicle itself, Hagerty thinks he means in the DNA of the cells that compromise the follicle-----Im supposing Tom means a part that remains during the telogen phase.

This article was extremely difficult for me to read, but some of the RSG (real smart guys) on this forum might be able to draw conclusions, make light, and generally shed light on the Germans findings. Hope you all can take a look at it.