Black Pepper(Piperine) inhibits the affect of Propecia

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the internet looking at what curcumin does for hair. I found that curcumin's effects on the body can be intensified by taking a supplement called Piperine, which is an ingredient found in Black Pepper

I did a little more research and found that while piperine does in fact intensify the effect of some drugs, it also inhibits the workings of many others.

Of the list i saw, 2 common hairloss drugs (internal and extra) affects were dampened when taken along with piperine

finasteride (Propecia)
ketoconazole (nizroal)

Here's the full list from the article I read:

Drugs: acetaminophen, alfentanyl, amiodarone, amlodipine, astemizole, atorvastatin, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, buspirone, Cafergot, caffeine, carbamazepine, cerivastatin, chlorpheniramine, chlorzoxazone, cimetidine, ciprofloxacin, cisapride, clarithromycin, cocaine, codeine, cyclosporine, dapsone, dextromethorphan, diethyl-dithiocarbamate, diltiazem, disulfiram, efavirenz, enflurane, eplerenone, erythromycin, estradiol, ethanol, felodipine, fentanyl, finasteride, fluconazole, fluvoxamine, gestodene, Gleevec, glucocorticoids, haloperidol, halothane, hydrocortisone, indinavir, irinotecan, isoflurane, isoniazid, itraconazole, ketoconazole, LAAM, lercanidipine, lidocaine, lovastatin, methadone, methoxyflurane, mibefradil, mifepristone, modafinil, nefazodone, nelfinavir, nevirapine, nifedipine, nisoldipine, nitrendipine, norfloxacin, norfluoxetine, odanestron, phenobarbital, phenytoin, pimozide, pioglitazone, progesterone, propranolol, quinidine, quinine, rifabutin, rifampin, ritonavir, salmeterol, saquinavir, sevoflurane, sildenafil (v****), simvastatin, sirolimus, St. John’s wort, tamoxifen, taxol, terfenadine, testosterone, theophylline, trazodone, troglitazone, verapamil, vincristine, zaleplon, zolpidem

Also note testosterone was affected by this drug. I wonder if DHT is inhibited or intensified...

http://www.delano.com/Articles/piperine-multiplies.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piperine

docj077

Reaction score
It doesn't say whether or not this substance induces or inhibits the CYP enzyme systems, so you really can't form an educated opinion either way.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CYP enzymes?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
Of the list i saw, 2 common hairloss drugs (internal and extra) affects were dampened when taken along with piperine

finasteride (Propecia)
ketoconazole (nizroal)

Uhh...you misread what they said. They said that those metabolizing enzymes (members of the cytochrome P450 group of enzymes) are simply AFFECTED by piperine, without specifying whether they are enhanced or dampened.

However, the wiki article says that piperine is a CYP3A4 inhibitor, which means that piperine ought to be expected to enhance the absorption of finasteride and dutasteride (not sure about ketoconazole). Finasteride and dutasteride are both degraded by CYP3A4.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
It doesn't say whether or not this substance induces or inhibits the CYP enzyme systems, so you really can't form an educated opinion either way.

The wiki article states that piperine is a CYP3A4 inhibitor.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
CYP enzymes?

The cytochrome P450 family of enzymes (there are several members in that group...I believe maybe a couple dozen or so) are substances that slowly evolved in animals over the eons, mainly in response to environmental insults. In other words, they helped to degrade toxic elements that were eaten by animals. Nowadays, they also have the unfortunate property of helping to degrade things that we DON'T necessarily want them to degrade, like prescription drugs. But we're becoming more aware of other substances that fight that effect by degrading the degraders (piperine and grapefruit juice are just a couple of examples).

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I admire the knowledge of you guys.

docj077

Reaction score
Bryan said:
docj077 said:

The wiki article states that piperine is a CYP3A4 inhibitor.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Testosterone 5alpha-reductase inhibitory active constituents of Piper nigrum leaf.

School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kinki University, 3-4-1 Kowakae, Higashiosaka, Osaka 577-8502, Japan.

Previously we reported that Piper nigrum leaf extract showed a potent stimulation effect on melanogenesis and that (-)-cubebin (1) and (-)-3,4-dimethoxy-3,4-desmethylenedioxycubebin (2) were isolated as active constituents. As a part of our continuous studies on Piper species for the development of cosmetic hair-care agents, testosterone 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity of aqueous ethanolic extracts obtained from several different parts of six Piper species, namely Piper nigrum, P. methysticum, P. betle, P. kadsura, P. longum, and P. cubeba, were examined. Among them, the extracts of P. nigrum leaf, P. nigrum fruit and P. cubeba fruit showed potent inhibitory activity. Activity-guided fractionation of P. nigrum leaf extract led to the isolation of 1 and 2. Fruits of P. cubeba contain 1 as a major lignan, thus inhibitory activity of the fruit may be attributable to 1. As a result of further assay on other known constituents of the cited Piper species, it was found that piperine, a major alkaloid amide of P. nigrum fruit, showed potent inhibitory activity, thus a part of the inhibitory activity of P. nigrum fruit may depend on piperine. The 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activities of 1 and piperine were found for the first time. In addition, the P. nigrum leaf extract showed in vivo anti-androgenic activity using the hair regrowth assay in testosterone sensitive male C57Black/6CrSlc strain mice.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Good job guys! f*** I love this Forum! :punk:

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
bornthisway said:
BTW, the piper nigrum study I posted was based on topical application.

PDF: http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/30/12/2402/_pdf

Thanks BTW, I was wondering about that.

If you find a place to buy piperine let us know. :)

Np. I posted this over at HLH when I posted the PDF:

"There are formulations already of piper nigrum (black pepper) that are available, the following is not to be used internally (concentrated):

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essentia ... pepper.htm

Another one:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=7828

It's also considered a circulatory stimulant.

How effective *these* would be applied topically, I don't know for sure.. but there are *many* natural herbal remedies for hair loss (garlic, cayenne, turmeric) including black pepper. Interestingly, the research to back natural herbs, etc, came many decades later. I imagined it was mostly quackery."

I possibly will add at least one or two more items to my topical but only after I gauge it's current effectiveness. There are a few things that are interesting but I'm still conflicted on whether to incorporate them.

Take a look at the garlic thread: http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums ... =5&t=18637

EnterTheDragon had some regrowth at above link (pics).

hatched said something pretty interesting also:

'In my post that got deleted from this thread, I had suggested that one strategic approach (there are other strategies, of course) that could be taken would be to combine at least one anti-cancer agent, one anti-hypertension/heart disease agent and one anti-diabetes agent. For example, circumin (and ASJ-9) is anti-cancer, garlic covers all three bases, magneseium is anti-hypertension/anti-heart disease, corsolic acid is anti-diabetes, minoxidil, of course, is anti-hypertensive, spironolactone (a diuretic) is anti-hypertensive and counters minoxidil's sodium-retention side-effects, and on and on. So many things that purportedly work for hair growth are strangely effecttive against these big 3 killers. It's a simple approach that can be used topically and internally. Don't worry about all the minute details, upregulation/downregulation of this or that, blah, blah, just make sure you include something from each of these categories.'

Also regardaing black pepper, since it is a circulatory stimulant, and those formulations are pretty concentrated, I'm sure it will work similar to the other herbs which improve circulation when applied topically.

The following seems to be the most promising to me.. cayenne. SD was able to restore his hair line.. I think Hounty stopped hair loss on a form of curcumin/turmeric as well:
http://regrowth.com/hairloss-forums/vie ... =6&t=16497

Regarding curcumin I know others (HLH,Regrowth) including myself have had positive experiences with it.. I'm going to use it in conjuction with cayenne shortly.