Birth Control Pills

G

Need to find good BCP to take with Aldactone

If anyone is currently taking Aldactone can you advise of a good anti-androgenic BCP to be on with this treatment?

Dwendae

Reaction score
Birth Control Pills

My best friend was using OrthoTriCyclene when she started to develop a bald spot on the back of her head. We went to the doctor and he said that the birth control pill was not known to cause hair loss. he said that it was probably some osrt of stress in her life. When she sterted to lost the hair there was no significant change in her life except the pill. Is there a an article that researches hair loss froom the pill?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I know that your body thinks that your are pregnant while on them and if you stop taking them it simulates the end of a pregnancy and you get telogen effluvium as you would if you were really pregnant. It happens to women all the time.

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
LoEstrin is a bad, bad pill! Don't take it...the progesterone in it can cause women who may be androgenetically sensitive to lose their hair. Make sure when you consider a pill that you do some research into the type of progesterone that's in it.

rachel

Reaction score
What birth control pills are "safe" for women with hair loss? Is there such a thing as a safe pill (re: hair)?

Also - could you explain the components of your regimen again?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: types of pills, I don't know the list of "safe" pills, I only know that the one I was taking was bad, and that several other women on the boards have had the same experience. You could probably just ask your gyno what type of progesterone is in LoEstrin, and then tell him you want a pill that doesn't have that type of progesterone and explain why.

I've been using Nizoral 2% because I had a really bad case of seb derm that seemed to spring up right around the time my hairloss started. There are some studies that indicate ketokonazole (Nizoral) helps stave the miniaturization of hair follicles for those that are prone to Androgenetic Alopecia. I alternate this with Neutrogena T-Sal (salicylic acid 3% helps the seb derm as well). Stopped all BCP and synthetic hormones, and started taking some extra zinc because my zinc levels were very low, and zinc helps hair growth and strengthens the immune system. And, I started seeing a therapist and working on stress management techniques because that was a big component of my life when all my hairloss started.

Hagar64

Reaction score
totaldispHAIR said:
Re: types of pills, I don't know the list of "safe" pills, I only know that the one I was taking was bad, and that several other women on the boards have had the same experience. You could probably just ask your gyno what type of progesterone is in LoEstrin, and then tell him you want a pill that doesn't have that type of progesterone and explain why.

I've been using Nizoral 2% because I had a really bad case of seb derm that seemed to spring up right around the time my hairloss started. There are some studies that indicate ketokonazole (Nizoral) helps stave the miniaturization of hair follicles for those that are prone to Androgenetic Alopecia. I alternate this with Neutrogena T-Sal (salicylic acid 3% helps the seb derm as well). Stopped all BCP and synthetic hormones, and started taking some extra zinc because my zinc levels were very low, and zinc helps hair growth and strengthens the immune system. And, I started seeing a therapist and working on stress management techniques because that was a big component of my life when all my hairloss started.

Isn't one of the keys in the discussion about BCP that the progesterone in it is synthetic?