Bien's story

Bnguyen

Reaction score
I am only turning 19 and my hair is dramatically falling out. I notice my hairline receding when i was a sophmore in highschool, but never bother thinking that it was normal. My dad also suffers from hair loss. Anyways, recently, the top of my head is starting to thin out and lots of hair is falling out. I believe its called the crown? I know for shure its not falling out at the vertex. I recently used nizoral 1%, and rogaine 5% for about a couple of weeks now. I am also taking the hair vitamin that i bought from walmart that contains biotin, zinc, copper, etc... I dont want to loose my hair, not just yet, im not 19. I told my mom and she was ignorant enough to say that its fine, but i no that its not. I finally convince her that it is really getting worst and she told me to go see a doctor. However, i do not know which doctor to go see, a dermatologist maybe? I know for sure that going to a family doctor would do me no good, right? who do i go see to get a prescription for propecia?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you are confortable with your general family doctor and would feel better discussing hair loss options with him/her, then by all means do it, they CAN give out prescriptions for drugs like propecia (this is actually how i got mine). On the other hand, a dermatologist is going to be more informed on the topic of hairloss and on the treatment options available (i.e. propecia) and will probably be better at answering any questions you have about hairloss. Unfortunately, in my opinion doctors that don't know much about propecia (like many family docs) are more reluctant to give out the drug to a young person like yourself, because they are not fully aware of how the drugs works and who a good candidate for the drug is.

My recommendation to you is to first find a dermatologist in your area, and make an appointment. Second, read up and inform yourself as much as you can on the drug and various treatment options, this site is an EXCELLENT source of information; that way you will be knowledgable about the topic and armed with good questions for the doctor you visit. If you have any questions, i'm fairly certain there is someone on this forum that can answer it for you. good luck.