BHT

G

Jayman, one last question. Did you have any side-effects from Avodart and do you think it works better than finasteride for you?

G

gillenator, avodart gives me no sides and 90% of my diffusion is in the frontal third of my scalp.

i also haven't treid minoxidil yet. i will try rogaine foam this summer and give it 6 months to a year before even considering an hair transplant. this mighthelp fill in some of the diffused areas and thicken up the hair, u know? then i might not even need one.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jay

How come you wont start minoxidil now? It's obviously needed as per ur story.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
lookinggood,

what do you think of my situation illustrated above?

I am wondering because I'm between an NW1.5 and NW2 diffuse and I've heard estimates ranging from 2000 to 3000 donor grafts necessary to filll me back in. I don't understand this though. If I had to guess, I'd say I've lost 10000 of my ~100000 hairs, mostly in the front. So does it make sense that I'd need 3000 grafts to give me the appearance of full density?

I guess I should try minoxidil in a few months to see if it might help with the diffusion in front. What's your experience with that, gillenator?

If that guy has 271 square centimeters of area to fill then I'd estimate that I have about 60-70 square centimeters of area to fill. The difference is that my area is spread across the whole NW5 area, in patches. I don't have any real bald spots, just a moderate thinness in front where I can tell where I'm missing about a third of my hairs there.

I do have very high sides of hair on my head though and my sides and back are thick as hell because I'm on Avodart and I'm only 22. So I might have 8000+ grafts available to a doctor. If HM doesn't come out for awhile, I might be comfortable having him take out 3000 or so to bring me back to a full NW1 with a juvenile hairline.

Here's a pic of my situation as of last year:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/273/hairloss006ka6.jpg

Do you think 3000-3500 grafts would fill me back to a full head of hair?

Jayman,

I am very fimiliar with your case. Let me preface by saying I am not an expert, maybe astute to some degree so with that said I will only offer my opinion and share what I know.

I think a hair transplant at this stage is not a good idea.
Here are the factors:
1) you are very young and although you have made some great strides with Avodart, you have not demonstrated enough time to qualify as stabilized.
2) The risk of permanent shock loss, although rare still a relative risk.
3) You get a hair transplant now and you may be chasing your hairloss aggressively for yrs b/c it will fall out around the grafted hair and with a dense packing like Armani's that is front loaded, will make the rest of the head looking freakish and possibly patchy. I have seen a few cases like this and it is worse than looking bald.
4) I think you have a case of hair greed. The Armani pics have you wondering what if and it happens to many. Me included. Just say NO...right now. Be strong and say no right now. You are doing well but "well" isnt enough for you. It's OK we all do. I have it now and I had a small hair transplant 7 months ago.

Just chill, you look so much better than last yr and you will add minoxidil so we'll see from there. Reevaluate after 6 months of minoxidil foam use.

I hope that helps.

LG

I

G

LookingGood! said:
Jay

Because I feel like I'm getting some solid regrowth every day with Avodart and i might be able to fill in about half the area shown in that photo. I think I iwll get more regrowth from it so I don't want to confuse avodart regrowth with minoxidil regrowth. Do you think it's possible for Rogaine foam to fill in the rest, from your experience? I've never used minoxidil so i don't know. I feel like in a lot of the scalp areas that my hair are there and turning vellus so maybe minoxidil could turn them tihck and terminal again?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
LookingGood! said:
Jay

Because I feel like I'm getting some solid regrowth every day with Avodart and i might be able to fill in about half the area shown in that photo. I think I iwll get more regrowth from it so I don't want to confuse avodart regrowth with minoxidil regrowth. Do you think it's possible for Rogaine foam to fill in the rest, from your experience? I've never used minoxidil so i don't know. I feel like in a lot of the scalp areas that my hair are there and turning vellus so maybe minoxidil could turn them tihck and terminal again?

I started the minoxidil foam at the end of November so too early to tell but my hair is so healthy as per the hair transplant MD and majority in the anagen phase in my forlock. I attribute this success to propecia and the foam along with 5% spironolactone at the hairline since November also.
minoxidil could only help. Jump on the foam bandwagon and dont worry about the absolute Avodart factor......fighting male pattern baldness is a war and you need ur arsenal. Just add it.

G

LookingGood! said:
JayMan said:
[quote="LookingGood!":f836c]Jay

I started the minoxidil foam at the end of November so too early to tell but my hair is so healthy as per the hair transplant MD and majority in the anagen phase in my forlock. I attribute this success to propecia and the foam along with 5% spironolactone at the hairline since November also.
minoxidil could only help. Jump on the foam bandwagon and dont worry about the absolute Avodart factor......fighting male pattern baldness is a war and you need ur arsenal. Just add it.[/quote:f836c]

I definitely will add it in August but I wanna give Avodart the full year. My hair won't get any worse between now and then. Avodart is protecting it. Then I can add the foam and know that all the regrowth I'm getting will be from that. minoxidil is a huge lifetime commitment and I want to make sure that I can differentiate results.

thanks lg

hrscare

Reaction score
pikehunter said:
I had never heard of Body Hair Transplantation until I saw some info. posted on this site about it. Does anyone know where to find the most truthful, up-to-date info. on this development and where this currently stands as a possible solution?

Read Scientist's blog. Thats the most thoroughly documented bht case ever.
http://bodyhairtransplant.blogspot.com/ ... results=24

Dr. Woods, Dr. Arvind, Dr. Cole have well documented bht cases. BHT is not for everyone though.

G

I don't think the minoxidil will regain that degree of hair caliper, back to terminal, but I guess you'll never know how you will respond to it until you start in August. I have heard of nothing but good things about the foam product, kind of pricy though. Hopefully a generic foam product will come out soon.

G

I think scientist had more BH donor sources than anyone else I heard of.

hrscare

Reaction score
Other recent case of bht I liked was topshiny.
2079.jpg

G

Do you know how many grafts and what region(s) of body the grafts were extracted?

michael barry

Reaction score
Here is video of a BHT (in the first post of this thread) of a repair patient who only used BHT's, http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... &mode=full

BHT's are not as good as scalp hair, but they have been able to help some men who are pretty much out of donor hair and still have baldness up top and need something to tide them over for a while. Here is one more repair case, http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... &mode=full

Ive only seen one "wow" result with BHT's, and it was the best transplant result Ive ever seen. I have seen five or six pretty good results with BHT's thusfar, and a couple that lean toward "good".

To be fair though.....................many are still low yielding. The more you get, the WORSE. The guys who go for low density (less than 30 grafts per cm) get much higher yield. Guys with sagittal angles also do much better. Its hoped that in ensuing passes, the docs can thicken up the body hair after a good year or so lull between surgeries, after the hair has time to take on longer growth phases on the scalp. Ive seen some men really "go for it" and go for big density to have lousy results (hair just barely grew at all after even a year and a half). Alot is still not known about hormonal signalling environments conductive to body hairs and how personal genetic profiles effect it on the head as of now.

However, as Im sure Gillenator will agree, Im glad some docs like Cole, Woods, and Umar are trying to make it available to guys who are in bad shape up there and dont have enough donor left. Count on your head hair first guys, and if you aren't a good candidate for a hair transplant, be honest with yourself and dont get one. Research the living hell out of it if youre a good candidate and want it.

CCS

Reaction score
how much time between grafts is safe for head hair? Is 7 months too soon?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hrscare said:
Other recent case of bht I liked was topshiny.
2079.jpg

Why??? Why I ask you all in the hairloss community would anyone want to spend money to look like this? Cole documented that some of his BHT patients start growing in the 12-20 mark. YOu get a hair transplant to look better, have more styling options and frame the face somewhat...NOT to achieve a thinning, balding look! You cant even style this hair. Horrible!