Better To Stop Minoxidil Use Well Before Surgery?

MeanArchive

Reaction score
Does it make sense to be on Rogaine before a transplant? I was on it before but stopped when I decided I'd get a transplant. My thinking was that the hair saved through Minoxidil was my weakest hair. It will probably fall out in the future. Better to have it taken out of the equation and have the surgeon considered what my hair looks like without it. Does that reasoning make sense?

Note, I am not referring to stopping Rogaine for a short period right before the surgery. I understand some doctors recommend that - I believe for blood clotting purposes.

Hiker

Established Member
Reaction score
You should try to keep as much of your natural hair for as long as you can.

MeanArchive

Reaction score
That seems wise... But I want my transplant to cover me for the long term. If the hair saved through Rogaine will only last 5-10 more years, maybe it's better to have the doctor take that into account. It could make him more conservative, or it could make him cover more areas.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Any minoxidil or rogaine hairs would fall out eventually, maybe 6 months or 1 year I doubt they would stay on your head for 5 let alone 10 years they need the juice to continue to stay or grow really.

I have noticed this by quitting all hair loss treatments twice in my 12-13 years use.

A question like this is better suited by the Doctor really, but your theory is sound you want the Doctor to fill in the actual spots where it matters not just the ones the rogaine may have covered I guess.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
My surgeon's orders are to drop minoxidil 1 month prior to the procedure, resume 2 weeks post

I see what you're saying though