Best Way to Fade a Piece Whose Hair is Too Dark?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got a lace piece at a reasonable price, but it's color is unideal, being too dark.

What's the best, least destructive way to quick fade?

Should I leave it out in the sun all day?

What do you guys think would work best?

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sun is a good option. My current piece was too dark out of the box but 2 weeks of trying to get some sun on it and it’s lightened up to the point where my grandma asked if I had highlights in my hair

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses.

@TooBad, How significant do you approximate the color removal associated w a single wash using clarifying shampoo would be? For reference, I ordered a 2, which is my true color, but since wearing I've noticed I look much better w Color 3. I've used clarifying shampoo in the past to get a ton of serum out of my hair, and I recall its being harsh - but don't recall how much lightening it caused.

I'm also pretty sure I've never done an alcohol soak on a unit without fluid the container turning dark.

Also, I know most of you guys use conditioner containing SPF. I don't. I know you guys are trying to preserve your color but does the sun damage the hair as well?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Overtone makes a sulfate and parben free clarifying shampoo called the Fader, I've never used it. There must be similar products from other brands. The efficacy depends on what kind of color is used and the condition of the hair.

If it's a very dark factory color, it's likely from a textile dye. I'll usually dissolve a teaspoon or two of Rit Color Remover in a small basin of water, microwave it for about 45 seconds, and swirl the hairpiece around in it for 30 seconds - a couple of minutes tops, checking the color very frequently. If necessary reheat the solution. This is not all that gentle, the more effective it is the more damage is done. But it should be ok to lift the color one level if it's just slightly too dark. This is probably the quickest and most effective method, but it's not for the faint of heart.

If it's hair color usually I'll do a deep conditioning treatment with a shower cap and apply heat from a blowdryer. That can be just as effective as clarifying shampoo, and obviously not as harsh on the hair. But with a lace piece I would worry about the integrity of your knots.

If you've got time, oxidation/sun exposure may be the safest bet, also damaging but there is no damage-free way to do this. It's a lesser evil kinda thing.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With fabric dye remover always use the minumum amount of heat necessary for it to work and sumberge the hair in it for the minimum amount of time. Condition afterwards.

With any clarifying shampoo, condition afterwards.

Lifting or fading the color may reveal tones that were less apparent. The level may be a better match but it doesn't mean the tone will match.