Best type of Minoxidil for someone in the UK. Which brand, Regaine??

geezer10

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to start using minoxidil but am unsure on what to go for. Is the best option Regaine, or is there a cheaper alternative that does the same job?

Cheers

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to start using minoxidil but am unsure on what to go for. Is the best option Regaine, or is there a cheaper alternative that does the same job?

Cheers

Yeah I use Kirkland minoxidil 5% from the minoxidil-direct uk website, it's very cheap when you bulk buy, certainly a lot cheaper than Regaine even when you only buy 1 months worth.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
Buy any generic inexpensive minoxidil LIQUID you can find,; they all are the same. Try ebay; some deals in 6 or 12 bottles (1 year supply) are dirt cheap compared to prices in stores.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Which ever brand is chosen I think it's best to stick with that permanently. IMO even small changes in ingredients between brands could disrupt growth cycles and cause shedding.

adam1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Bowser your defo right, been on spectral minoxidil as its making my hair incredibly weak on my hairline and no sign of regrowth, I expected shedding, but I didn't expect so much hair to get weaker and weaker, is there anything that anyone can recommend me to try regarding minoxidil - prefer liquids - have heard good things about lipogaine and folligen - I know Kirkland is cheap but again I am not sure of the brand.

AlexJ1

Reaction score
Yeh I would say Rogaine products are the best, I purchased mine from the company Crown Clinic in the UK.. can buy from there website. It is definitely best to stick with one product and see it through. My hair has been weak and quite limp so I do not want to risk using any other products.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
The reviews on Amazon say Kirkland is significantly more greasy than Regaine. Has anyone here used both? Do you agree with these Amazon reviews?

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
The reviews on Amazon say Kirkland is significantly more greasy than Regaine. Has anyone here used both? Do you agree with these Amazon reviews?

I think Kirkland has changed the formulation recently. And I believe it is less greasy, rather drying. If anyone finds any minoxidil solution too greasy, I would suggest tinker around adding conc. rubbing alcohol first to a small minoxidil sol. quantity in a certain ratio, use it and see if the solution becomes less greasy or so and take it from there; and make a new solution yourself by using same ratio in combo.

On the other hand, if you find your original minoxidil sol. too drying and irritating, then tinker around adding glycerine in a similar fashion

On a cautionary note, by adding alc./any liquid to the minoxidil sol., you are basically decreasing the minoxidil original % conc. So you would need to use more liquid sol. to get the full benefit of whatever original % minoxidil dose.

The above potion is just experimental and trial and error, nothing is guaranteed