Best Topical DHT blocker?

stoja

Established Member
Reaction score
u will get the similar results using eod and should expect similar sides....

jassi12

Reaction score
Ok, I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 3 months, I shoulda noticed earlier but I dont have as strong libido as I did before. Especially these past 2 weeks, its harder to achieve a erection. This hasn't been true during intercoarse really though. I'm guessing its the SP's sides? No pain or watery semen, just some loss of libido, and less morning wood/ random erections.

So i decided to not touch SP again for a week or two to see if everything returns to normal, after which I'll try finasteride possibly EOD and see if I get any sides. While I do think alot of it is mentally, and anxiety.

Also for topicals, lets say I put minoxidil in my hair, the next time I will apply minoxidil do I have to wash again, or can I put minoxidil over the previous dosage?

jassi12

Reaction score
Bump, and kind of a question.

Has anyone tried and had any sucess with topical finasteride? I've heard of people crushing 2 5mg proscar pills and putting it into their minoxidil. But is this a good way to reduce the DHT locally? It'd be great to here anything about such a method.

eclipsegum

Reaction score
jassi12 said:
Bump, and kind of a question.

Has anyone tried and had any sucess with topical finasteride? I've heard of people crushing 2 5mg proscar pills and putting it into their minoxidil. But is this a good way to reduce the DHT locally? It'd be great to here anything about such a method.

According to a 2009 study topical finasteride has similar results to oral, but not quite as good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19172031

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
eclipsegum said:
According to a 2009 study topical finasteride has similar results to oral, but not quite as good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19172031

Another fairly recent study of topical finasteride that was done by some big names in dermatology found that its haircounts were actually slightly LOWER than those of the placebo. That was probably just a slight statistical fluke, but nevertheless it shows that topical finasteride just isn't very effective.

Jacob

Reaction score
There's Bryan again..commenting on studies and effectiveness :shakehead:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
There's Bryan again..commenting on studies and effectiveness :shakehead:

Sure, that's what I like to do: comment on studies and effectiveness. What's your point? :dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
Bryan said:
Sure, that's what I like to do: comment on studies and effectiveness. What's your point? :dunno:

There aren't any for Proctor's crap...OMG..why am I even bothering?

So why did you say something about my "commenting on studies and effectiveness"? You seem very confused.

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Jacob said:
Bryan said:

There aren't any for Proctor's crap...OMG..why am I even bothering?

So why did you say something about my "commenting on studies and effectiveness"? You seem very confused.

:shock: :doh:

jassi12

Reaction score
Ben said:
jassi12 wrote:
Ok, I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 3 months, I shoulda noticed earlier but I dont have as strong libido as I did before. Especially these past 2 weeks, its harder to achieve a erection

Sides from Saw Palmetto? it could be mind over matter.

I think it seriously might be, cause ever since I started reading nearly every little thread on this forum. It might have started getting to my head.

But then again, I used to have a very strong morning wood before. Its less and sometimes non existent now. I can still get it up from any sort of stimulation, and theres no problem at all during sex. It just seems a bit weaker in terms of before. My ejaculation isn't watery what so ever, and its still as powerful as before tbh lmao.

Anyhow, I've been off of Saw for a week now, I think i'll be good in another couple if anything.

I got got my 30 pills of proscar, but first I want to regaine my full libido before I try anything, and I even got my blood test done today for free testosterone and such, so I'll see how that is.

I'm ordering 5% Kirk minoxidil to get started on the diffuse, I think im more concerned with damagingg my self internally in comparison to what little damage minoxidil can do.

I'll keep my finasteride sitting for a while to see what I decide, I may even try it topcically, experimentally ofc, because regardless of the studies I've read people getting success with it.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ben said:
jassi12 wrote:
Ok, I've been taking Saw Palmetto for about 3 months, I shoulda noticed earlier but I dont have as strong libido as I did before. Especially these past 2 weeks, its harder to achieve a erection

Sides from Saw Palmetto? it could be mind over matter.

Agreed. You're all up in your head. Saw Palmetto does absolutely jack sh*t anyway.

If you want to seriously stop hairloss, take finasteride. If you're not prepared to do that, you need to start accepting that you're going to go bald and should probably just leave these forums and stop worrying about it.

wi11iam

Reaction score
hairhoper said:
EDIT: Bryan do you know of an male pattern baldness spironolactone study, I can only find acne ones (and the most prominent study seems to use only 6 participants)?

Anyway....

It is generally acknowledged that it is a very weak topical antiandrogen.

Also no evidence to back up the quality and efficacy of spironolactone creams from the suppliers you can get it from.

There are also zero 'Success Stories' from anyone using spironolactone alone.

I wouldn't waste your cash!

Wrong. Check out my story, been on spironolactone/minoxidil for a year and my hair is as good as ever.

jassi12

Reaction score
I'll be started both finasteride and minoxidil soon but I think i'll take finasteride EOD regardless. Also are there any tips on ways to minimize shed from both treatments? I have heard of tapering methods onto minoxidil such as 1 week of once a week then every 3rd day, and work upto everyday. Could the same be done with finasteride, so 1 for a week, then 2 for next week..and gradually increase? Would this decrease my possible shed if any?

jassi12

Reaction score
Ok so i popped my first pill just minutes ago and cut proscar into what turned out to be slightly uneven 7ths, I wanted to experiment, but I think i'll stick with fourths from now on. Also the peices I cut are secured in my pill cutters box, can the exposure to air reduce their effect since I plan to go once a week on finasteride for about a couple weeks first to get a feel of the drug?

Answers needed!