++ Best Topical DHT blocker ( spironolactone or Azelaic acid ) ++

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dermatologists at one point in the not-too-distant past were suggesting that free fatty acids in the skin (released as a result of the degradation of triglycerides by P acnes bacteria) were a factor in the cause of acne, although they now seem to have backed away some from that idea. It's a bit ironic, then, that a certain specific free fatty acid (azelaic acid) is actually used to treat acne.

I was just thinking out loud when I said that about azelaic acid and alopecia areata. Areata has been treated in the past by the topical application of some pretty noxious and irritating substances, so I was just wondering to myself if the use of azelaic acid for that had a somewhat similar rationale.

Bryan

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Dermatologists at one point in the not-too-distant past were suggesting that free fatty acids in the skin (released as a result of the degradation of triglycerides by P acnes bacteria) were a factor in the cause of acne, although they now seem to have backed away some from that idea. It's a bit ironic, then, that a certain specific free fatty acid (azelaic acid) is actually used to treat acne.

I was just thinking out loud when I said that about azelaic acid and alopecia areata. Areata has been treated in the past by the topical application of some pretty noxious and irritating substances, so I was just wondering to myself if the use of azelaic acid for that had a somewhat similar rationale.

Bryan

Oh, just about alopecia areata. Nevermind!

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Seems like spironolactone wins hands down. But if you compare Dr. Proctors Proxiphen with spironolactone, it seems like Proxi already has spironolactone...So is Proxi better?

powersam

Reaction score
dont think proxi has much spironolactone in it though. wouldnt be a replacement for using spironolactone by itself

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think prescription Proxiphen has 2% spironolactone, but I might be off on that.

In any event, I can't imagine that anybody's version of topical spironolactone alone (at any strength) would be as effective as Proxiphen.

Bryan