++ Best Topical DHT blocker ( spironolactone or Azelaic acid ) ++

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

between 2% spironolactone solution and 5%AZ acid solution
which one is better can bolck DHT
in fact
which one has most resullt and least side effect for existing thin and downy regrowth who i have now

spironolactone or AZELAIC Acide ?

tanks

SE-freak

Reaction score
Dear friend testohate:

This is the first time you yell. I believe that spironolactone will have better resullt in bolckin DHT, but I am not 100% positive about that.

A more KVN will be able to help you more here.

tanks :oops:

triton2

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that a more interesting question would be:

Which one is more effective at stopping hairloss: azelaic azid+b6+zinc or spironolactone?

From the posts from Bryan I've read here I'd say it should be spironolactone, which has some scientific evidence that leads to the conclusion that it might be a medium-good treatment for male pattern baldness. On the contrary, I believe that neither azelaic azid or zinc have behind them any evidence nearly as strong as spironolactone's.

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
triton2 said:
I think that a more interesting question would be:

Which one is more effective at stopping hairloss: azelaic azid+b6+zinc or spironolactone?

tanks for help
cause i use minoxidil 5% 2 x a day , so don't have decision to use which toplicaly solution who has zinc ( like as ZIX or H&S shampoo PTZ)
i don't think about solution caotain AZ acid and Zinc & B6
my question about spironolactone 2% and AZ acide solution whitout any zinc
anyway tanks

triton2

Established Member
Reaction score
In that case, I guess my opinion is that Spironolactone has much more scientific evidence to support his effectiveness than azelaic acid, which seems to have none whatsoever, just in vitro studies; there's no in vivo evidence for azelaic acid as far as male pattern baldness is concerned.
If I were to choose between one and the other I'd certainly choose spironolactone. And that's what I'm doing, because I have azelaic acid and zinc and I'm just going to throw them to the trash as I begin again to use spironolactone. I'm not going to waste anymore time again with azelaic acid, as I did in the past, when I would use it twice daily, which probably only served the purpose of screwing my spironolactone applications, 'cause I'd apply the spironolactone solution and immediately after the azelaic acid solution, which probably washed some spironolactone off my scalp (bad idea).

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree I'd have to say spironolactone because not only is it an AR receptor blocker but it also converts the testosterone in the scalp to estradiol which may be beneficial to hair.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
global said:
...(spironolactone) also converts the testosterone in the scalp to estradiol which may be beneficial to hair.

Umm, Dr Lee is the ONLY one I heard claim that!

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm sure i read something in a pharmacology book which backed that up, I'll see if i can find it.

triton2

Established Member
Reaction score
That's what concerns me about using aromatase blockers along with finasteride/dutasteride in order to prevent gyno... the fact that not only my DHT levels might go up as a result of HPTA upregulation, but also the fact that less estrogen means less gains. What if some of the good results seen with 5AR blockers, as far as hair is concerned, are estradiol mediated? I wish I had the answer to these questions...

The Gardener

Reaction score
Dr Lee was asked this question last year, and his answer was "spironolactone, hands down".

Considering that he sells both, and in fact Azelaic is the distinctive ingredient in his Xandrox product, methinks this is saying quite a bit.

viperfish

Reaction score
Azelaic acid is over hyped and not worth your money. I have said this many times, but azelaic acid has ONLY been proven to work in-vitro and not in-vivo. This basically means that the only way azelaic acid has been shown to work is within a 'test tube'. This DOES NOT account for other variables that may occur within living tissue. There is no doubt that spironolactone is a better option, which has been shown to WORK within living tissue. Does this mean that spironolactone is a fantastic product and will produce miracles. Hell No! The only thing it may help to do is slow down the process of male pattern baldness. Hope this helps!

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
This (2005) pilot study showed that Azelaic Acid was effective for treating Alopecia Areata (in vivo then). I don't know much about Alopecia Areata but if Az-Acid did that by blocking DHT or simply stimulating hair growth, then we have something..

Comparison of azelaic acid and anthralin for the therapy of patchy alopecia areata: a pilot study.

Sasmaz S, Arican O.

BACKGROUND: Although topical azelaic acid has been previously used for the treatment of alopecia, no controlled trials of azelaic acid for this condition have been conducted to date. OBJECTIVE: The goal of this study was to determine the efficacy, tolerability, and safety of azelaic acid treatment in patients with patchy alopecia areata (AA) in comparison with anthralin (dithranol) treatment. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: This study included 31 subjects with patchy AA who did not receive any treatment for at least 1 month prior to the study. Demographic and clinical characteristics of these subjects were recorded at baseline. Subjects were randomized to apply either 20% azelaic acid (15 subjects) or 0.5% anthralin (16 subjects) for 12 consecutive weeks. In a subsequent 8-week follow-up period no cream was applied. Two independent investigators performed an efficacy evaluation with clinical examination using a terminal hair regrowth score (RGS) with a scale ranging from 0 (inadequate response) to 2 (complete response) at week 20. Partial response was accepted as score 1. RESULTS: Both groups were well matched for the relevant demographic and clinical indicators affecting treatment response at baseline. All subjects completed the trial. At week 20 the RGS was 1.27 +/- 0.9 in the azelaic acid group versus 1.37 +/- 0.8 in the anthralin group (p > 0.05). A complete response was observed in 53.3% of cases in the azelaic acid group (8 of 15) compared with 56.2% (9 of 16) in the anthralin group (p > 0.05). No serious adverse events were observed in either group during the study. CONCLUSION: The present pilot study showed that the use of azelaic acid gave similar results to anthralin with regard to hair regrowth, and that it can be an effective topical therapy for patchy AA. More extensive trials are necessary, however, to reach a definitive conclusion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, but androgens don't really have anything to do with alopecia areata.

Bryan

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
it sounds like spironolactone is winning this debate with somes good evidence to justify it. but you can make this a win-win situation. why not use Xandrox and spironolactone together? you get the best of both worlds and they do compliment each other. You dont need to risk choosing the wrong option here.

this is what i started doing this year, and so far im delighted. In fact, I've been thinking about posting on my results of this combo, but will wait as 7 weeks isnt long enough sampling period for it to be very useful or fair.

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Interesting, but androgens don't really have anything to do with alopecia areata.

Bryan

Maybe we should consider azelaic acid more as a growth stimulant and less as a DHT-inhibitor/blocker?

science-jay

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Dr Lee was asked this question last year, and his answer was "spironolactone, hands down".

Considering that he sells both, and in fact Azelaic is the distinctive ingredient in his Xandrox product, methinks this is saying quite a bit.

Gardener, you have a very interesting "non finasteride"regimen. Can you please share some of your experiences? Did you have any succes and for how long? I'm very curious cause i'm lookin for an effective long term "maintaining" treatment without finasteride because of sides,
thanks!

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
science-jay said:
Maybe we should consider azelaic acid more as a growth stimulant and less as a DHT-inhibitor/blocker?
maybe both? Az-Ac showed to be a powerful 5-AR inhibitor in vitro..

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
science-jay said:
Bryan said:

Bryan

Or maybe it worked because it's an irritant. Who knows?

Bryan

Steve4263

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:

How's that spironolactone working for you the Gardner? I'm going to try spironolactone myself for the temples and front of the head.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
science-jay said:
Bryan said:

Bryan

Or maybe it worked because it's an irritant. Who knows?

Bryan

Bryan: I thought we all concluded a while back that AA probably does its stuff based on it being a free radical scavenger? You know, as an anti-inflammatory? Also by "dissolving" the excess (i.e., abnormal) skin cell accumulations?