Best Shampoo For Thinning Hair?

NateT

Reaction score
Hi I'm starting to see the first signs of hair loss. I'm only 20 and don't want start taking medication daily, but I've seen shampoo and conditioner for thinning hair and I thought that would be a good idea to start using. I've done a little research and have found that PANTENE PRO-V 2 IN 1FULL & THICK SHAMPOO + CONDITIONER is pretty popular and cheap. Anyone else have any recommendations on the best shampoo/conditioner that maybe doesnt just thicken hair but also slows down hair loss?

Also do you think this was the best sum-forum to post this thread in?

Thanks,
Nate

Sorue

Reaction score
Well, there's no shampoo that's scientifically proven to reverse/slow down male pattern baldness.. but there are thickening shampoos that make your hair look and feel thicker.
One very very good one is Aveda Pure Abundance shampoo.. and in the past i've used bumble & bumble thickening shampoo which is really good too.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Nano, Nizoral 2%, Alpecin C1, Revita are the shampoos off the top of my head that "supposedly" help w/ hairloss (your mileage may vary).

You'll get some thickening from Nano and Nizoral 2%.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I've said this to someone else in here and I'll say it again......J.A.S.O.N. Thin-to-Thick shampoo & conditioner. It doesn't grow new hair, but it makes your hair look great. Both are very thick & chalky, and can be quite difficult to use at first. They also contain peppermint oil which makes your scalp feel awesome. :)

rusty_y2k2

Established Member
Reaction score
Tdevil said:
They also contain peppermint oil which makes your scalp feel awesome. :)

does more than that, read up on some of the essential oils posts but peppermint oil can actually help block receptor sites... brucey bonus.

I always thought revita in THEORY was one of the better shampoos out there, it has the proven ketoconazole and a lot of other stuff that might or might not help, but does at least have some scientific basis. I've been using it a couple of months but too early to say if it's helping or not... seems a bit of a lottery as to whether it leaves your hair looking good or crap after washing, personally it seems fine to me but others have said it leaves their hair dry.

NateT

Reaction score
Well I've done a lot of reading and it seems like the only thing that pretty much got 0 complaints is jason thin to thicker. Sense I don't want to take any big risk at the moment with my hair I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks!

Cassin

Reaction score
NateT said:
Well I've done a lot of reading and it seems like the only thing that pretty much got 0 complaints is jason thin to thicker. Sense I don't want to take any big risk at the moment with my hair I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks!

Its good stuff. Just put some on your head and stick it under the faucet real quick since its impossible to lather.

And I would not use it every day.

But the best of all time for cosmetic purpose is aveda pure abundance shampoo.

NateT

Reaction score
Cassin said:
NateT said:

Its good stuff. Just put some on your head and stick it under the faucet real quick since its impossible to lather.

Really from my reading of past post on here it seemed like this one was ok to use every day unlike some other harsher shampoos?

Cassin

Reaction score
NateT said:
Cassin said:
NateT said:

Really from my reading of past post on here it seemed like this one was ok to use every day unlike some other harsher shampoos?

No. I am a long time user of that product and its a pretty hard core shampoo. It strips the scalp of dead skin.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree w/Cassin. J.A.S.O.N. is super-thick and chalky. The shampoo is like molasses and you need to lather twice if you want any lather at all. The conditioner comes out of the bottle like putty and is diffucult to spread over your hair. GOOD STUFF, just a pain to use.

And @ Rusty_y2k2....I just might add some of my peppermint oil to my shampoo & do some experimenting. :punk:

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
"And I would not use it every day."

So you wouldn't use it every day? I was guessing since the Jason products are natural that it'd be okay. However, I've heard that ANY "thickening" shampoo or conditioner causes hair to become damaged. Is this what you mean? Do you feel the Aveda does this? My hair is dry, frizzy and limp as it is, so I've stopped using them.

Are there any gels, mousse, serums, conditioners, etc that add weight to hair to thicken up the appearance? Most I've used make the hair look wet and thinner. The Jasons thick to thin spray is decent, helps a bit. Would like to stay as natural as possible.

Also, dyeing my hair (darker color, not light) adds the weight to the hair I'm talking about. I use a semi-permanent, washes out in a few weeks. Probably damages my hair though.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
"Thicker n' Fuller Hair" makes a nice line of thickening shampoos and thickening serums. Like Jason's, this product line won't help curb your hairloss - but will provide nice, cosmetic, thickening effects.

Available at your local Rite Aid, GNC, Wally-Mart, etc.

Cassin

Reaction score
madhatter said:
Do any stores in the US carry this JASON Thin to Thick shampoo?

Any standard vitamin or organcic health food store should have it. Dark Blue bottle with a silver/white label

2202609.jpg

rkim said:
"And I would not use it every day."

So you wouldn't use it every day? I was guessing since the Jason products are natural that it'd be okay.

Its a very good scalp cleanser so you shouldn't over do it. This stuff is more scalp cleaner than it is thickener.

madhatter said:
However, I've heard that ANY "thickening" shampoo or conditioner causes hair to become damaged. Is this what you mean?

No. I mean scalp be over cleansed by the acids...Salicylic Acid and Alpha Hydroxy Acid. Really good scalp cleansers...

rkim said:
Do you feel the Aveda does this?

No. Aveda is awesome stuff...I have used it for about 4 to 5 days a week for years. However...I do feel like it dries out the scalp a bit making it itchy so I used a moisturizing shampoo sometimes.

rkim said:
Would like to stay as natural as possible.

Its great stuff...I'm simply saying I would not use it everyday.

Tdevil

Established Member
Reaction score
There are 2 GNC stores in my area, and both of them carry a full stock of all the JASON products.

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks cassin, I'm going to give the Aveda a try. have you tried the conditioner too? worth a try? I think I'll also buy the pure abundance potion as well. it's a powder and just might be less "wet" than most gels, etc. where have you bought this stuff? I'm going to buy from their site I guess.

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
Both Ketoconazole and PTO have been proven in a study (Keto has at least two studies proving this actually) to increase the number and size of hair shafts in balding men. If that's not proof of "slowing or reversing" hair loss then I don't know what is.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
spiekey said:
Have anyone tried Alpecin C1? Did it manage to stop hairloss?

I went thru 2 bottles of alpecin (then 2 bottles of revita) and then started making my own caffeineted shAMPoos. Best I can say is the caffeine ain't hurt me none.

Some guys get headaches from the caffeine. Some guys can't handle the zinc content in alpecin. Was an OK shampoo for me though.