Best Haircut For Norwood 2? Thin Hair. 29 Yo.

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, second posting time here.

In my last post I asked the basic questions and got what seems like the standard approach. Big 3. One person mentioned cutting my hair and it got me wondering. Is there an ideal haircut for Norwood 2, or generalizations. I'm sure stylists have figured this out and most a-list receding/balding celebrities seem to find what works for them.

I'd love some input. I'm partial to the long hair, I had it grown out when I was younger, then when I noticed it was receding I shaved it all off to confront it. Over time it's been growing back and I'm digging it but I'd like to look my best so if anyone has any input, let me know.

Personally I'm a fan of accentuating the recesion with the side sweep. It makes me feel like I'm not trying to hide anything.

The photos with hair up are for hairline recession reference.

Anyway. Thanks y'all.

David

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 14,595
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 32,233
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 14,940
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 11,344
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 15,464
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 21,162

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When you have long hair it weighs down the top of your head and can exaggerate hair loss. I think a shorter cut would benefit your situation. Shirt sides and back (#2/3 shave) and choppy on top. Youd be surprised whej you cut your hair how the top will gain volume and structure. Bit of volumising hair clay on top and styled like below you could be on to a winner.

IMG_9665.JPG

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, man. I've always thought the more styled looks looked good but haven't tried it myself.

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest you could probably go with whatever hairstyle you want, you don't have much loss at all, looks good in the pics you posted anyway.

John, thanks. It doesn't feel that way, I've been struggling with self image and feeling like it's pretty bad other times I feel good. It's amazing how it vacillates.

Reading your regime. How are you handling the finasteride? I'm not on anything at the moment but I'm thinking about trying it. If it was possible to halt or slow loss for a good 10-20 years, or more, that'd be fantastic.7

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
John, thanks. It doesn't feel that way, I've been struggling with self image and feeling like it's pretty bad other times I feel good. It's amazing how it vacillates.

Reading your regime. How are you handling the finasteride? I'm not on anything at the moment but I'm thinking about trying it. If it was possible to halt or slow loss for a good 10-20 years, or more, that'd be fantastic.7

I've been on finasteride for over 10 years and it's definitely slowed the loss down for sure, I have now gone a little below baseline so I added Dutas 2x per week recently to see if I could halt it further. As for sides, I really can't say because I'm also taking antidepressants and two different types of anti-anxiety meds which have an effect on the libido also. I don't know which is the worst offender in that case. I do know that anti-depressants in particular can destroy your sex drive.
My personal opinion is that there is no harm in trying finasteride, see how you respond, but keep side effects out of your mind as you do so, you can create them psychologically if they are on your mind all the time.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
0e28150e4cf539300ea83e17b4d63b1f.jpg

If you're worried about exposing your temples, you could always do a cut like this (kind of how I wear mine).

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
John, thanks. Yeah, I think I will try it. Im not on any mess or supplements so if there were issues I should catch them.

Dave, is that you in your avatar? If so. That's a rad style.

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, but it also got me thinking. Does trying to hide the temples work or is it somewhat better to almost accentuate it. Or at least show it. I almost like having my hair to the side where the temples are exposed more because I feel vulnerable, like I've got nothing to hide. Rather than the mentality of always trying to cover something up. I like the shorter sides and long top look, never tried it. Maybe soon is the time?
View attachment 57760

If you're worried about exposing your temples, you could always do a cut like this (kind of how I wear mine).

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, but it also got me thinking. Does trying to hide the temples work or is it somewhat better to almost accentuate it. Or at least show it. I almost like having my hair to the side where the temples are exposed more because I feel vulnerable, like I've got nothing to hide. Rather than the mentality of always trying to cover something up. I like the shorter sides and long top look, never tried it. Maybe soon is the time?

You have the facial structure to pull off the picture I posted. I think wearing bangs looks fine until you hit like Norwood 3+, because then you start to get that uneven recessed look where you "island" is a lot longer than the sides (if that makes sense).

And my avatar isn't me, it's Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie lol.

David87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, transatlanticism was an amazing record. I couldn't make it out on my cell screen.

Cheers brother
You have the facial structure to pull off the picture I posted. I think wearing bangs looks fine until you hit like Norwood 3+, because then you start to get that uneven recessed look where you "island" is a lot longer than the sides (if that makes sense).

And my avatar isn't me, it's Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie lol.

Established Member
Reaction score
I think your hair looks good how it is. You are successfully pulling off the deeper temples look. I think you should wear it pulled back, potentially in a man-bun like you have in some pics although those may be falling out of favor. You are lucky you have pretty straight-line recession with decent thickness so it looks good and maybe not even super noticeable as "balding" to the general pop.

I do not think you should be doing anything that would try to hide the recession. It's too much at this point so just get on the big 3 (most importantly finasteride) and rock it. When I say "too much" don't take that negatively though - looks good and you pull it off.

I think the only other option for NW2 is a shorter side part but I don't think you'd look better with that.

Neither of those pics is going to work as they both are forward-facing haircuts (especially the second...jesus).

Runninghair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think your hair looks good how it is. You are successfully pulling off the deeper temples look. I think you should wear it pulled back, potentially in a man-bun like you have in some pics although those may be falling out of favor. You are lucky you have pretty straight-line recession with decent thickness so it looks good and maybe not even super noticeable as "balding" to the general pop.

I do not think you should be doing anything that would try to hide the recession. It's too much at this point so just get on the big 3 (most importantly finasteride) and rock it. When I say "too much" don't take that negatively though - looks good and you pull it off.

I think the only other option for NW2 is a shorter side part but I don't think you'd look better with that.

Neither of those pics is going to work as they both are forward-facing haircuts (especially the second...jesus).

Nothing wrong with forward facing. Im a nw2 and works well for me. This is Pic of my hair styled

IMG_9668.JPG

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, second posting time here.

In my last post I asked the basic questions and got what seems like the standard approach. Big 3. One person mentioned cutting my hair and it got me wondering. Is there an ideal haircut for Norwood 2, or generalizations. I'm sure stylists have figured this out and most a-list receding/balding celebrities seem to find what works for them.

I'd love some input. I'm partial to the long hair, I had it grown out when I was younger, then when I noticed it was receding I shaved it all off to confront it. Over time it's been growing back and I'm digging it but I'd like to look my best so if anyone has any input, let me know.

Personally I'm a fan of accentuating the recesion with the side sweep. It makes me feel like I'm not trying to hide anything.

The photos with hair up are for hairline recession reference.

Anyway. Thanks y'all.

David

chose whatever you want... it won't last long if you're not on Big3 anyway

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@david87

By the pictures, you look fine exposing your temples, slicked back into a ponytail. It kind of shows that you are confident.

But as mentioned already by some, further loss of will get you into NW3 territory where it can quickly go from a good look to a bad look.

I think you could stabilise forever using finasteride but obviously, it can have impact on other 'things'

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
chose whatever you want... it won't last long if you're not on Big3 anyway

Your avatar is more "child molester" than usual... what's going on cope?

JohnOKelly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@david87

By the pictures, you look fine exposing your temples, slicked back into a ponytail. It kind of shows that you are confident.

But as mentioned already by some, further loss of will get you into NW3 territory where it can quickly go from a good look to a bad look.

I think you could stabilise forever using finasteride but obviously, it can have impact on other 'things'

I actually think NW3 is fine as long as it is thick, you can still do quite a lot of styles that look good, either exposing some of the temples or concealing it a little. But to ensure you have a chance at keeping the hair thick, it's likely your only option is to try finasteride.