Best excersize to build inside of chest muscles?

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've been working out since i was like 13, but i didn't really lift any heavy weights until i was around 17 because i didn't want to stut my growth. so 4 years seriously.

now i am 5'10 and 191lbs, i had my body fat measured a week ago and it was just under 7% so i'm pretty lean too. that's mostly because i'm training for a marathon though. i started out as 150 a couple of years ago, spend a year and a half or so just trying to gain weight, now i realize i'm as big as i want to be (still want to be an athlete, not just a big huge guy) so i'm just maintaining/cutting down. something nice about being as big as you want to be is that you can work on changing smaller things like muscle definition, symmetry, endurance and shape.

roki, i'm in the gym for an hour a day, 6 days a week so it is very much a part of my routine. that's how i have time to focus on each muscle group.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That sounds great dietcola. You're obviously in the advanced group. I too have been working out regularly since around 13-14, and got serious around 17 too.

As far as the inner/outer pec discussion. Fundamentally, there is no inner or outer pectoral, just a major and a minor. It *is* true that working the serratus and minor can change the appearance of the pectoralis major (both the sternum and clavicle.) And these muscles are better worked using something other than a straight bench press. But that's far different than saying you can isolate the outside and inside of the pecoralis major. You simply cannot. And this is coming from a bodybuilder who has always valued overall development.

staunch

Reaction score
As far as the inner/outer pec discussion. Fundamentally, there is no inner or outer pectoral, just a major and a minor. It *is* true that working the serratus and minor can change the appearance of the pectoralis major (both the sternum and clavicle.) And these muscles are better worked using something other than a straight bench press. But that's far different than saying you can isolate the outside and inside of the pecoralis major. You simply cannot. And this is coming from a bodybuilder who has always valued overall development.
im down wit harie and joseph49853, although i am not taking sides i just share there point of view. please dont take offence dietcola :)
i believe it IS NOT POSSIBLE to isolate the inner chest, i believe u CAN target the upper and lower chest more. the way the muscle fibres run across the chest proves this. this crap about changing the SHAPE of ur muscle, u simply cant. genetics determine the shape. check out kevin levrones bicept shape compared to albert beckles bicept shape. google them and compare, that what u call genetics. im sure kevin levrone wanted a peak in his bicepts, but his shape is genetic and cant be changed. lets not get cranky guys.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm glad I don't look like either one of those guys. My goal is to look good, not just be huge.