Being short (5'8") and bald/badly balding in the workpl

baldguy28

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 29 years old and this basically describes me. I work hard and my production numbers speak for themself yet I notice that the three guys around me who all coincidentally are around 6' tall and have full heads of hair are always complimented by our boss on their work ethics even though I almost always see them away from their desks or not doing their work and goofing around. My boss is 6'2" with a full head of hair too. This irritates me to no end and I'm starting to wonder how much appearance really does matter in relation to how much money a person makes, promotions etc and how far a person can advance in the workplace. There are tons of balding presidents and CEO's no doubt but I'm talking about when you are younger than 35 and most guys have the majority of their hair. Has anyone here ever felt like they were discriminated against for being bald when someone was chosen over you for a promotion etc?

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: Being short (5'8") and bald/badly balding in the wo

baldguy28 said:
I'm 29 years old and this basically describes me. I work hard and my production numbers speak for themself yet I notice that the three guys around me who all coincidentally are around 6' tall and have full heads of hair are always complimented by our boss on their work ethics even though I almost always see them away from their desks or not doing their work and goofing around. My boss is 6'2" with a full head of hair too. This irritates me to no end and I'm starting to wonder how much appearance really does matter in relation to how much money a person makes, promotions etc and how far a person can advance in the workplace. There are tons of balding presidents and CEO's no doubt but I'm talking about when you are younger than 35 and most guys have the majority of their hair. Has anyone here ever felt like they were discriminated against for being bald when someone was chosen over you for a promotion etc?

absolutly it matters..
appearance comes right after performance..

asdf2

Reaction score
Maybe it's the tallness thing. I'm 6'3" and find it very weird hanging out/being friends with anyone under say 5'10". I just feel uncomfortable standing next to short people for some reason.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sad but true, appearance counts. but doesnt mean u have to be a brad pitt or Tom Cruise....If u ar enot good looking,
u should know how to dress, talk ect which will make up for lack in looks...
Even the women will dig into u...U just need to know the key to open the Pandora's box

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise is like what? 5'7"? Brad Pitt is 6' even. Neither of them "tall". Both have good hair though!

Anyhow, I was watching the Discovery Channel a few months back where they studied height in men in relation to salary. I forget the percentages but the taller you were, on average, the more money you made.

I think hair can help but I also think hair is a little "easier" to work around then height. Short guys just dont really get respect whereas a tall bad *** bald man will! LoL

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Tom Cruise is like what? 5'7"? Brad Pitt is 6' even. Neither of them "tall". Both have good hair though!

Anyhow, I was watching the Discovery Channel a few months back where they studied height in men in relation to salary. I forget the percentages but the taller you were, on average, the more money you made.

I think hair can help but I also think hair is a little "easier" to work around then height. Short guys just dont really get respect whereas a tall bad *** bald man will! LoL

Dunnoe if u agree wif me on this but Height seems tp be one of the perceived criterias to having a relation to leadership qualitites..

Being tall projects an image of a high flyer in society. I am sure many of u when u were kids schooling days xpereinced this. Many bullies seem to be tall and no one seems to be messing around with the taller guys.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

This guy doesn't hang around with short people, what a joke. I have never judged any male based on looks....period. I have judged many a woman, but that is mostly the testosterone (or booze) speaking.
I am a man of average height and I don't hang around with pathetic people who would ever decide their friends based on something so useless as height, grow up. In fact, the greatest friend I have is 5'7", makes a ton of $$, is 27, has a great girlfriend and is balding. He is a far better man then myself.
It is threads like this that remind me that the battle with male pattern baldness is really 50% about finding treatments and 50% about dealing with your insecurity. This is a natural body function that eventually effects most men at some point. It is only society that makes us feel ugly. Sure having hair would be nice but not having it does not change anything about me. Learn to appreciate yourself and hairloss is meaningless.
Now the responses will come in that I am crazy and out of reality. Someday I hope those who disagree will come into the light and realize that there are things in life that are far more important then looks.

theendoftheend

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: re:

Johnny24601 said:
This guy doesn't hang around with short people, what a joke. I have never judged any male based on looks....period. I have judged many a woman, but that is mostly the testosterone (or booze) speaking.
I am a man of average height and I don't hang around with pathetic people who would ever decide their friends based on something so useless as height, grow up. In fact, the greatest friend I have is 5'7", makes a ton of $$, is 27, has a great girlfriend and is balding. He is a far better man then myself.
It is threads like this that remind me that the battle with male pattern baldness is really 50% about finding treatments and 50% about dealing with your insecurity. This is a natural body function that eventually effects most men at some point. It is only society that makes us feel ugly. Sure having hair would be nice but not having it does not change anything about me. Learn to appreciate yourself and hairloss is meaningless.
Now the responses will come in that I am crazy and out of reality. Someday I hope those who disagree will come into the light and realize that there are things in life that are far more important then looks.

Johnny, meet anayak:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=23932

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
bottom line is the shorter you are, and balding, the more f--ked you are when dealing with hair loss.....this should be obvious to anyone short.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
cruise is a midget

im 6'2 and good looking which f*****g helps so much (sry for the arrogance) because i know sh*t could be a hole lot worse

im also real skinny and quite pale though so i know shaving the hole sh*t off would look terrible. i need to keep my hair

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
173675lrtq6oa.jpg

bluntman

Reaction score
haha^