Being off Finasteride + Minoxidil for 6 months.

anonstubon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently thinking about joining the army and I imagine I wouldn't be able to take finasteride during bootcamp. I was wondering if 6 months of being off finasteride would really mess up my hair? If I were to resume finasteride (and all my other treatments) after bootcamp, would my hair grow back to what it was before when I was taking finasteride? How much hair would I lose if I was off finasteride for 6 months? I will also be off of minoxidil as well.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It probably depends on how aggressive your hair loss is. Few men, but still some, go bald in less than a year (cue bluecyclone).

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I came of finasteride during the first lockdown … I didn’t think it had any impact however a year or so later I am now noticing the crown had thinned our …

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I came of finasteride during the first lockdown … I didn’t think it had any impact however a year or so later I am now noticing the crown had thinned our …
This is definitely the reason that you have lost density from the crown, how long was you off finasteride for? you should be fine now that you're back on it but you probably won't regrow what you lost.

royce gracie

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can take prescription medications in boot camp. Even for some cosmetic conditions like acne. I don't know if androgenic alopecia would be on the list but if you have an official diagnosis and a prescription then there's a chance they can't legally forbid you from taking it. I would ask your recruiter. Minoxidil is off the table though. That's technically an OTC cosmetic.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can take prescription medications in boot camp. Even for some cosmetic conditions like acne. I don't know if androgenic alopecia would be on the list but if you have an official diagnosis and a prescription then there's a chance they can't legally forbid you from taking it. I would ask your recruiter. Minoxidil is off the table though. That's technically an OTC cosmetic.
The recruiter might say man up and just shave it son!

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is definitely the reason that you have lost density from the crown, how long was you off finasteride for? you should be fine now that you're back on it but you probably won't regrow what you lost.
Yep , came off it easily for six months … it’s taken a year and a bit to see the subsequent further thinning as a result

fenom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently thinking about joining the army and I imagine I wouldn't be able to take finasteride during bootcamp. I was wondering if 6 months of being off finasteride would really mess up my hair? If I were to resume finasteride (and all my other treatments) after bootcamp, would my hair grow back to what it was before when I was taking finasteride? How much hair would I lose if I was off finasteride for 6 months? I will also be off of minoxidil as well.
Just go to army and keep using it. Get a prescription from a doctor, its allowed.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Minoxidil may be impractical to use, certainly 2x a day. But in the morning I see no reason why they wouldn't let you. If you're allowed to brush your teeth, what's wrong with taking 1 more minute to dump some minoxidil on your head.