beernuts_123's story

beernuts_123

Reaction score
Hello all, first posting here.

I'm 22 years old, and I've been losing hair for about 2 years now.
Baldness history from both my dad and mom's sides.
I guess that should double team me nicely, lol.

I first noticed hairloss after 2-3 months of heavy hairwax use (also not washing it out properly) I got a crew-cut after being sick of the longer surfer hair one day, and boy was I shocked.. I freaked out like a little mouse and shaved my entire scalp with a razor. Haha.

I cover it up nicely with a semi-combover (back to front) using hairspray... So nobody really knows that I'm thinning, but the day I couldn't cover it up is the day a part of me will die a little.

My scalp has been in a very bad condition for a long time now.
Redness, itchyness (sp?), little scabs (i always pick at 'em lol)
My doctor gave me some topical solution for it, but it says not to use it for more than 2 weeks so I never really bothered with it.

As of currently I've been on

Biofen Plus - 7 months
L'Oréal VIVE PRO Thickening 2 in 1 - 3 months
Centrum Multi-vitamins - 1 year
Green tea - 2 months (I heard somewhere that this helps)

.... Not really successful though, and it sucks. You guys know how it is.

Anyways, nice to meet ya'll, let's not give our hopes up and be strong!

& help each other and what not.. :)

p.s. - What do you guys recommend?
I'm thinking about switching my hairproducts (shampoo, conditioner, hairspray) and also maybe getting into something more hardcore than Biofen..

thinningontop

Reaction score
beernuts_123 said:
Hello all, first posting here.

I'm 22 years old, and I've been losing hair for about 2 years now.
Baldness history from both my dad and mom's sides.
I guess that should double team me nicely, lol.

I first noticed hairloss after 2-3 months of heavy hairwax use (also not washing it out properly) I got a crew-cut after being sick of the longer surfer hair one day, and boy was I shocked.. I freaked out like a little mouse and shaved my entire scalp with a razor. Haha.

I cover it up nicely with a semi-combover (back to front) using hairspray... So nobody really knows that I'm thinning, but the day I couldn't cover it up is the day a part of me will die a little.

My scalp has been in a very bad condition for a long time now.
Redness, itchyness (sp?), little scabs (i always pick at 'em lol)
My doctor gave me some topical solution for it, but it says not to use it for more than 2 weeks so I never really bothered with it.

As of currently I've been on

Biofen Plus - 7 months
L'Oréal VIVE PRO Thickening 2 in 1 - 3 months
Centrum Multi-vitamins - 1 year
Green tea - 2 months (I heard somewhere that this helps)

.... Not really successful though, and it sucks. You guys know how it is.

Anyways, nice to meet ya'll, let's not give our hopes up and be strong!

& help each other and what not.. :)

p.s. - What do you guys recommend?
I'm thinking about switching my hairproducts (shampoo, conditioner, hairspray) and also maybe getting into something more hardcore than Biofen..

how about the well-known: Big 3
1. finasteride
2. minoxidil
3. nizoral

beernuts_123

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply thinningontop.

Yeah, after browsing this forum I've decided to give Nizoral 1% a try.
I've got inflammation problems so it definitely couldn't hurt.
Vive Pro Thickening is definitely a working product, (at least in my case)
but I've decided to give this Aveda Pure Abundance a try - Shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray.
It will be much more expensive than the current Vive Pro 2 in 1 and Garnier Fructis spray combination, but I have a good feeling about it after stumbling upon good reviews.
Soon Rogaine Foam will be a part of my regime, there are a handful of positive feedbacks on here, and I'm buying in.

Wish me luck.

G

what up beernuts. i'm tim, new here too, and i'm 21 so i feel your pain. i'm 99% sure i don't have male pattern baldness, but just Telogen Effluvium which should go away, but still i've lost a ton of hair over the past month. i started on the foam yesterday. anyway, you should start up on something asap. the sooner the better. nice to meet you.

edit- the vive pro is also a lifesaver in my case. sh*t works wonders.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
TIM for congress. said:
what up beernuts. i'm tim, new here too, and i'm 21 so i feel your pain. i'm 99% sure i don't have male pattern baldness, but just Telogen Effluvium which should go away, but still i've lost a ton of hair over the past month. i started on the foam yesterday. anyway, you should start up on something asap. the sooner the better. nice to meet you.

edit- the vive pro is also a lifesaver in my case. $#iT works wonders.

I am curious why you are so sure you dont have male pattern baldness... I was in the denial stage for the longest time myself.

G

RaginDemon said:
TIM for congress. said:

I am curious why you are so sure you dont have male pattern baldness... I was in the denial stage for the longest time myself.
doctor told me i don't have it, no family history.

Pondle

Reaction score
beernuts_123 said:
Thanks for the reply thinningontop.

Yeah, after browsing this forum I've decided to give Nizoral 1% a try.
I've got inflammation problems so it definitely couldn't hurt.
Vive Pro Thickening is definitely a working product, (at least in my case)
but I've decided to give this Aveda Pure Abundance a try - Shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray.
It will be much more expensive than the current Vive Pro 2 in 1 and Garnier Fructis spray combination, but I have a good feeling about it after stumbling upon good reviews.
Soon Rogaine Foam will be a part of my regime, there are a handful of positive feedbacks on here, and I'm buying in.

Wish me luck.

Propecia / Proscar is the way to go. It should be the cornerstone of any regime; nothing else is as effective at maintenance. Thickening shampoos are just a temporary cosmetic. Rogaine foam is good, but doesn't halt the underlying balding process. Nizoral is useful, but marginal at best. We only add it to the big 3 because it's cheap, and using it a couple of times a week can't do any harm.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pondle, I'm not sure I'd describe the results of Nizoral as "marginal"... did you see the before/after shots from the clinical test? :shock: and those guys were using ONLY nizoral...

Having said that, the advice you've given is spot on, the OP really should get on finasteride ASAP as it's proven to maintain in most people.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
TIM for congress. said:
RaginDemon said:
[quote="TIM for congress.":bcffe]what up beernuts. i'm tim, new here too, and i'm 21 so i feel your pain. i'm 99% sure i don't have male pattern baldness, but just Telogen Effluvium which should go away, but still i've lost a ton of hair over the past month. i started on the foam yesterday. anyway, you should start up on something asap. the sooner the better. nice to meet you.

doctor told me i don't have it, no family history.[/quote:bcffe]

the derm told me i got Telogen Effluvium two yrs ago and I have no family history of male pattern baldness either... My hair was getting worse and worse til I got on treatments.

beernuts_123

Reaction score
[quote="Pondle"

Propecia / Proscar is the way to go. It should be the cornerstone of any regime; nothing else is as effective at maintenance. Thickening shampoos are just a temporary cosmetic. Rogaine foam is good, but doesn't halt the underlying balding process. Nizoral is useful, but marginal at best. We only add it to the big 3 because it's cheap, and using it a couple of times a week can't do any harm.[/quote]

Hello Pondle,

yeah this forum has convinced me to go on the big 3.

I was skeptical of taking any medicinal pills but hell it should work better than freaking Biofen, which I don't think is doing anything.

Yeah thickening shampoos don't do much but conceal the loss, but boy do I appreciate its effects..

Thanks for the reply, and I hope it works out for the both of us.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
stampede said:
Pondle, I'm not sure I'd describe the results of Nizoral as "marginal"... did you see the before/after shots from the clinical test? :shock: and those guys were using ONLY nizoral...

Having said that, the advice you've given is spot on, the OP really should get on finasteride ASAP as it's proven to maintain in most people.

that isnt nizoral shampoo...that is a cream which you leave on your scalp....nizoral shampoo isnt nearly as effective.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
stampede said:

that isnt nizoral shampoo...that is a cream which you leave on your scalp....nizoral shampoo isnt nearly as effective.

nizoral is just a complimentary product to minoxidil and finasteride IMO.