Been Treating Fd For More Than 25 Years

SteveK

My Regimen
Reaction score
FD first appeared on the top of my head when I was in my forties. Since then I have tried every known treatment or combination of treatments. Nothing has significantly reduced the outbreaks and persistent itching and bleeding. I just started a thirty day routine of Acitretin, 25mg once a day. Some of the side affects are showing up, but it's too early to say it's working. I had the best results with Accutane about 20 years ago. However, the side affects were not worth it. It's no longer available in the US. Lots of lawsuits. One drug I don't see mentioned in these forums is Dapsone. Earlier this year I did a six month routine taking 50mg twice a day. Although I had virtually no results, you might consider trying it. I feel fortunate that this disease hasn't spread to other parts of my body. My derm doctor said it is unlikely it will at my age. Unfortunately, many have more challenges with this disorder than I.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you suffer from FD. Have you tried Methyl aminolevulinate photodynamic therapy? I know that this treatment has been met with some success in studies.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not. Is it approved for use in the U.S?
I think it has been approved in the US as a treatment for various other conditions, but not sure about FD specifically. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to get it prescribed off-label as a treatment for FD though.