Been taking finasteride for 10 months, starting to notice erectile problems

shaolin

Reaction score
After noticing my hairline receding I finally talked to my doctor about taking Finasteride and he had no problem prescribing it for me. I am taking 7.5mg per week and have been doing so since February this year (it's now been around 10 months).

I must say, I have noticed a difference in my hair, not an outrageous difference but I feel like it is definitely thicker and my hairline has strengthened alot.

However, last night I was with a girl and I just felt completely numb downstairs. Could not get an erection, in fact could not even feel the little guy at all. It was like he was dead. Has never happened to me before. I was thinking about it after and concluded theres a good chance its the finasteride. I've been traveling alot and haven't been in a relationship this year, so I haven't been having sex regularly, last time was about a month ago, no issues. And 2 months before that, again no issues. Just before I starting taking the finasteride I was in a relationship and definitely had no issues, was having sex daily and strong erections.

Now that I have been thinking about it, before taking finasteride I used to wake up often with erections, doesn't happen anymore. Also used to get erections all the time during the day at random times, again this seems to happen much less now. I have decided I am going to stop taking the finasteride for a few months, and see if this changes. If it does, I'll know its the finasteride causing it.

I'm 26 years old.

Would be keen to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience.

N

Niggga What

Thousands of men have experienced long-term mental and sexual problems coming off Finasteride. Check with the PFS Foundation for updates on research. Please let us know how you feel and let us know if you experience a "crash"

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Thousands of men have experienced long-term mental and sexual problems coming off Finasteride. Check with the PFS Foundation for updates on research. Please let us know how you feel and let us know if you experience a "crash"

baseless statement. No proof whatsoever

'Niggga' Please :jackit:

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

shaolin

Reaction score
I was only taking Finasteride 1.25mg per day, 6 times a week and Nizoral twice a week. Am still using the nizoral twice weekly but not taking any finasteride at all.

I am interested in starting on Minoxidil, would be interested to hear experiences from someone in my situation, i.e cannot take finasteride but has success using topicals. I guess I would go for Lipogaine/Rogaine, Nizoral combo, with perhaps s5 cream thrown in? Can minoxidil alone maintain a hairline or is finasteride absolutely essential in this regard? I've read contrasting opinions on this.

Here is a pic of my hairline and crown, taken a couple of weeks ago. Remember I was still using Finasteride when these were taken. I had some photos on here from just before I starting taking the finasteride, but that post seems to have been deleted, which is a shame because a comparison would've been helpful.

For anyone in the know, where would I sit on the Norwood?

Thanks

33zd1ro.jpg

xf2gj4.jpg

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I really don't think you need to use Minoxidil, yet anyway - you've got a nice thick head of hair

shaolin

Reaction score
I really don't think you need to use Minoxidil, yet anyway - you've got a nice thick head of hair

Well, I don't think anyone would argue that I am receding at the temples, I have developed the "M" shape already, my crown looks pretty good for now I guess but remember I've been on Finasteride for the last 10 months, so wouldn't be surprised if that starts to thin out a bit, also my hairline may start to thin out too. So I'm really trying to hit it early and be proactive about it while my hairline is still healthy. I've heard the trick is to maintain, rather than regrow, which makes sense.

Would be great to hear from anyone using only Minoxidil without Finasteride. I've heard differing reports on weather it can maintain your hairline or just thicken up the crown.

Thanks again

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Based on your description I would say it's unlikely this was caused by finasteride. When you get sexual sides from the drug, it's usually a gradual onset, or something that happened from the start. I can't imagine how after 10 months you would suddenly start having issues. The more likely thing is that you went through what every guy has gone through, and just couldn't get it up.

Funny because same thing happened to me a few days ago. I've started dating someone new, and we basically had sex for a week straight. A few nights ago I could barely get it up, and there was no sensitivity. I made an excuse to go to the washroom, and nothing would will it up. I freaked out (especially since it's a new woman) and in the back of my mind thought it might be finasteride. I made up an excuse to skip sex, and was worried as hell. Alas, the next night I was feeling sick, was on a lot of cold medication, got very little sleep, and was drinking quite heavily (all a recipe for a limp noodle and a bad hangover). However, rather miraculously, I was able to get it up and have the best sex with this woman so far!

The moral here, never underestimate how much your state of mind can effect things.

About your morning erections, yes it's apparently quite common that it reduces these, and it has for me too. However, they serve no useful purpose, and it isn't cause for concern unless you are having consistent problems getting it up for sex.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
A nocturnal erection is needed to feed the penis with nutrients and the missing of it is a sign of a problem. The first thing an andrologist asks someone claiming to have erectile dysfunction is if he's having morning erections or not.

shaolin

Reaction score
It has been about 2 weeks since stopping finasteride, morning erections coming back slowly and also during the day, however this is also likely that I am just taking notice of them more. Sometime down the track I might start on the finasteride again every 2 days. Shall see. Any insight on using Minoxidil to maintain my hairline would be appreciated, thanks very much

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A nocturnal erection is needed to feed the penis with nutrients and the missing of it is a sign of a problem. The first thing an andrologist asks someone claiming to have erectile dysfunction is if he's having morning erections or not.

Nocturnal erections source nutrients? What nutrients? If the organ didn't have blood flow it would fall off in about a day. This doesn't make any sense.

I don't have normal morning wood but have no problems during sex. Are you saying lack of one means lack of the other too?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Ahh, okay. So normal blood flow to the organ doesn't supply any oxygen? You do realize there is constant blood flow to the organ, right? An erection is only when the return flow is being blocked. In fact, long lasting erections can lead to LACK of oxygen, which may result in loss of the organ.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How would you know if did or didn't pop a horn when asleep? I mean, you're asleep ...... =/

Fanjeera

Reaction score
If you wake up in the middle of REM, you remember what you dreamt. That's when you should also have an erection.

GLDFSHS2

Reaction score
If any of you are worried about the absence of morning erections, it might be worth doing the 'stamp test'. I was worried about my lack of morning erections (get maybe 1-2 per month) and found that I actually still get erections in my sleep. Just buy a roll of stamps and google it if you haven't heard of it. finasteride definitely affects these, I quit for a week and got morning erections maybe 3-4 days that week whereas I've literally 0% erection most mornings when I'm on finasteride. I read a study which said that nocturnal erections are androgen dependent but erotic erections aren't. I can fish out the source if anyone's interested.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Even castrates can have sex, so don't worry. It's just not as simple and good and often.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Then what's the meaning of a nocturnal erection? All healthy people have it. It is needed to give nutrients to that place.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19686425

I still wake up with normal nocturnal erections. In fact, studies show that finasteride doesn't suppress these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7775644

Morning wood might be a different story. As mentioned, nocturnal, morning, spontaneous and erotic versions may be activated by different mechanisms.

shaolin

Reaction score
If I am mainly concerned with maintaining my hairline, I assume I only put Minoxidil on my hairline and not all over my head, yes? Or would that not be effective.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I still wake up with normal nocturnal erections. In fact, studies show that finasteride doesn't suppress these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7775644

Morning wood might be a different story. As mentioned, nocturnal, morning, spontaneous and erotic versions may be activated by different mechanisms.
Umm... Aren't they actually saying the opposite? "Penile tip peak tumescence time increased on second nights more in the P than the F group at 12 weeks, producing a session main effect (P < 0.02) and a group X session interaction (P < 0.05)."