Been On Rogaine For 2 Months, Shedding Hasn't Stopped

Stress

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using rogaine on my temples for 2 months now and I've lost almost all my hair on my left temple. My hairline is still there but is extremely thin and immediately behind it is a large bald patch where hair used to be. I'm thinking of quitting rogaine if this shedding isn't normal for this amount of time. Will the shed hair grow back?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
from what i read takes about 6 to 7 months for hair to return to the stage it would have been pre minoxidil use, i think i also read 3 to 4 months so i may be wrong on that. I don't like the stuff, think it did more damage than good, im in the minority on that one though. If you aren't getting any sides then i would say continue with it. Oh and you didn't say if you are taking an AA along with minoxidil?

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using rogaine on my temples for 2 months now and I've lost almost all my hair on my left temple. My hairline is still there but is extremely thin and immediately behind it is a large bald patch where hair used to be. I'm thinking of quitting rogaine if this shedding isn't normal for this amount of time. Will the shed hair grow back?

Do you have before and after pics by chance?

Stress

My Regimen
Reaction score
from what i read takes about 6 to 7 months for hair to return to the stage it would have been pre minoxidil use, i think i also read 3 to 4 months so i may be wrong on that. I don't like the stuff, think it did more damage than good, im in the minority on that one though. If you aren't getting any sides then i would say continue with it. Oh and you didn't say if you are taking an AA along with minoxidil?

I'm feeling that rogaine has done me more harm than good as well. Last year before I started using it I had an almost perfect hairline, but a slightly wide forehead. After i started using it the hair above my hairline has shed immensely, to the point where it's quite quite literally hairless. This patch is a thin line basically only where I had applied rogaine, and my hairline itself is still intact but thin (probably from shedding). I'm not sure what "AA" is, but if it means "anti androgen" then yes I'm taking saw palmetto pills once every 2-3 days. I don't think they really work though.

Do you have before and after pics by chance?

I don't take many pictures of myself, so unfortunately I don't.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm feeling that rogaine has done me more harm than good as well. Last year before I started using it I had an almost perfect hairline, but a slightly wide forehead. After i started using it the hair above my hairline has shed immensely, to the point where it's quite quite literally hairless. This patch is a thin line basically only where I had applied rogaine, and my hairline itself is still intact but thin (probably from shedding). I'm not sure what "AA" is, but if it means "anti androgen" then yes I'm taking saw palmetto pills once every 2-3 days. I don't think they really work though.

You should start taking finasteride, i know saw palmetto has "some" evidence behind it but unless you are taking finasteride/dutasteride you are in a losing battle against baldness. I personally wish i never started minoxidil and just stuck to finasteride.

Stress

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should start taking finasteride, i know saw palmetto has "some" evidence behind it but unless you are taking finasteride/dutasteride you are in a losing battle against baldness.

I dontd really consider myself "balding" yet, as what im doing is more or a preventative measure rather than reversing baldness. I dont think I'm even a Norwood 1, but I have baldness In my family and wanted to stop it before it gets too bad. When my hair grows long it covers my forehead but I've recently gotten almost a buzz cut and made me notice my hairline more. rogaine has just made my hair worse off so far and I would be completely happy with getting my pre-rogaine hair back. I dont know if stopping rogaine will let my shed hair grow back to what it was before though. I might send a picture later but Im currently not home.
Also sorry for my sh*t spelling I'm typing this on my phone.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dontd really consider myself "balding" yet, as what im doing is more or a preventative measure rather than reversing baldness. I dont think I'm even a Norwood 1, but I have baldness In my family and wanted to stop it before it gets too bad. When my hair grows long it covers my forehead but I've recently gotten almost a buzz cut and made me notice my hairline more. rogaine has just made my hair worse off so far and I would be completely happy with getting my pre-rogaine hair back. I dont know if stopping rogaine will let my shed hair grow back to what it was before though. I might send a picture later but Im currently not home.
Also sorry for my sh*t spelling I'm typing this on my phone.

Keep an eye on your hair, if it deteriorates then jump on finasteride. Minoxidil doesn't stop the root cause of balding, so it's pretty useless as a preemptive measure imo. As for continuing or stopping minoxidil, that's a choice you have to make, i stopped it just over two months ago. My crown looks really bad, but i have only been on finasteride for 5 months.