Been on Propecia for 7 Months, Good Results So Far-What Now?

jeffyhow

Reaction score
I've been on Propecia since Sept '06. I started very early in my hairloss (I don't think i would qualify for any of the Norwood levels), but I was seeing lots of hair in the shower, desk, pillow etc. After I started there was no initial shed, but my hair loss dropped dramatically. Before I was seeing 10+ hairs on the pillow and much more in the shower/sink. About 1-2 months in, it all but stopped, no hairs on the pillow, and nothing except pulling (tough combing etc.) pulled any out. Now I'm about 7 months in and am seeing a bit of shed. Maybe a couple of hairs on the pillow, a bit more in the shower etc.

Interestingly, before I started using Propecia, the hair that fell out had a thin root and it became thinner near the base. The hair that's falling out now is a mix of pretty thick and thin short ones. Bear in mind, for a period of about 4-5 months, I had essentially no hair fall out.

Though, before and now during this shed, the hair seems to fall out more easily from the crown and the temples.

The main reason I started was because my dad is about a 6 on the scale.

My question is, I'm curently on 0.5mg of it a day (half a genuine Propecia pill). Everything I've experience thus far seems to be typical and encouraging. My current 90 pill pack ends in about a month, and I'm thinking of scaling back to 1/3 (0.33mg) a day, or even 1/4. Any thoughts? I have no side effects at this point and am 24.

Also last weird oddity, my scalp would itch quite a bit before, Nizoral shampoo once a week or so helped a tiny bit, but now, no scalp itch. Never head of Propecia helping itching.