Been on Propecia for 2 months.....

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
Im a 20 male who has had hair loss since around 18 years of age mainly in the front temple part of my head making that V-shaped hairline. Ive been on propecia for 2 months, and really haven't noticed anything.

One small thing I have noticed is that there are these really itty bitty tiny hairs on my temple that I dont remember being there. They are extremely small and only really visible when I splash some water onto my hair.

Do the results from propecia come very very gradually? Or do you just magically notice new, pretty rich and thick hair folicles one day? Its possible that I am just being too hopeful and those tiny, thin hairs were there all along.

If you had results with propecia.. how did you notice it? Did it start out with really really fine and tiny hair folicles slowly forming on your bald spots or was it a little more noticable and rapid?

Uni Student

Established Member
Reaction score
In all fairness you won't see any results in 2 months really. Just keep taking it and stop worrying about it until 12 months are up.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are a good responder finasteride can quickly produce vellus, which is obviously more noticible in the temples; however, it takes several cycles to turn the vellus into permanent noticible terminal hair. It is a good sign though. Keep going.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
Uni Student said:
In all fairness you won't see any results in 2 months really.

Personally, I did see results in two months. Probably not enough for anyone but myself to notice, but I definitely saw "new" hairs in my temples and noticed my balding spot on the crown filling in a bit. Not a lot mind you, but I had the same "Hey, those hairs wern't there before, were they?" feeling.

porajj said:
One small thing I have noticed is that there are these really itty bitty tiny hairs on my temple that I dont remember being there. They are extremely small and only really visible when I splash some water onto my hair.

If you had results with propecia.. how did you notice it? Did it start out with really really fine and tiny hair folicles slowly forming on your bald spots or was it a little more noticable and rapid?

This is what I started to see, the really fine short hairs. Those hairs have now darkened and thickened up, and my temples are quite a bit better, and my balding spot on the crown is also quite a bit better.

porajj said:
Do the results from propecia come very very gradually? Or do you just magically notice new, pretty rich and thick hair folicles one day? Its possible that I am just being too hopeful and those tiny, thin hairs were there all along.

I think I started to see results faster than many, as I have read that quite a few people don't notice much change at all until about the one year mark. It sounds to me like you are seeing the start of results, just like I did. I'm now about 4 1/2 months into finasteride and my results continue to improve. Keep on it, judge the change at 1 year and decide then what to do.

Right now my main goal/hope with finasteride is to regain more thickness, as I am diffuse thinning all over on top. I can already tell it's better in the diffuse areas, as I have my hair grown out about an inch and it almost covers well enough to pass for not-very-noticeable. Before finasteride/Rogaine that I started January 1st this would not have been the case. I've had my head shaved/trimmed close for a few years so the change for me is a big one.

One thing I can tell you for damn sure is that my temples are way better at this point, my head overall is better, and I barely ever lose any hair now. About once a week or so I hold my head right over my white desk top and rub my head for two minutes or so and count hairs. In the old days I would be afraid to look because I was losing so many, now I'm lucky to get 2-5 total, which I think is pretty normal for someone not losing hair.

Deathinjune

Reaction score
Hi Porajj,

I'm also 20 and I'm a little over the two month mark. I haven't really noticed anything either (no sides, no shedding), except my temples seem to be a bit better. However, my frontal hairline is still receeding. Overall, I have an extremely thick head of hair and I do not have any bald spots (thank goodness), BUT this might very well change over the course of the next few years.

Does anyone know of any good treatments for the frontal hairline, or should I just remain on Propecia and see what happens?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Generic minoxidil works pretty good on the front for me. BTW, Douglas Pearce rocks.