Been on Minoxidil for 9 months - Is it time to quit?

lmdavies

Reaction score
Been using Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil religiously for 9 months on hairline and NW3 temples. To date it has not grown or thickend up anything or even grown hair in unwanted places, no sides, no nothing.

I have also been washing my hair daily with 2% Nizoral - Is it time to throw in the towel?

If its going to work would I have atleast seen some improvement by now - Is another 3 months going to make a difference?

I cannot use finasteride.

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Fighting hairloss is mainly about keeping what's left, but I'll guess you should be able to spot something "new"...

I think you need to redesign your treatment plan. Perhaps spironolactone, laser, copper peptides or applepoly could be helpful in your situation.

Have you tried the minoxidil foam?

lmdavies

Reaction score
I have not tried minoxidil foam.

I ditched topical spironolactone cream after the six month mark as it is not practical to apply when you have hair (although fine on a buzzed scalp).

Whatever happens, I will continue to wash my hair with Nizoral as its cheap, hassle free and keeps away that male pattern baldness itch.

Not sure whether to switch to minoxidil foam or ditch minoxidil completely?

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
re

I'd try the foam. It has been proven to be more effective than the liquid.

lmdavies

Reaction score
I did not realise that the foam is dirt cheap. Just seen it for 40GBP inc delivery on a uk minoxidil web site for 4 months supply.

I think that I will give the foam a try for 3 months which will take me to the 12 month mark of using minoxidil. If it does not work then I will simply ditch all topicals and simply use Nizoral.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
If you use the foam, make SURE you're getting it to your scalp, apply it directly if you need to, if you're diffuse and apply it from your hand to scalp you might not get enough onto your scalp and cause a shed since you were using the liquid before.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
I had minimal new growth and continuing recession after about 5 months of the liquid. I switched to foam for 2 months now and I notice more shedding, perhaps its a positive sign... either way, so far my hair is still traveling north-wood.

Like you said, foam is cheap, I plan to use it at least 6 more months before discontinuing it if I have no positive results.