Been On finasteride For 9 Months With Good Results, Now Its Seems Slightly Worse. Should I Be Concerned?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you shedding a lot? I've been on the drug for the year and a half and I still go through random sheds (currently going through one that is a little scary). Hair is still at or above baseline so I'm not too worried. If you responded well at the start I doubt it lost it's effectiveness that quickly.

chappaquiddick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you shedding a lot? I've been on the drug for the year and a half and I still go through random sheds (currently going through one that is a little scary). Hair is still at or above baseline so I'm not too worried. If you responded well at the start I doubt it lost it's effectiveness that quickly.

Thanks! No shed that I've noticed. It's probably just my imagination or due to the fact it's longer, sun bleached, and I'm kind of slicking it back.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are on minoxidil as well it is common to get periodic sheds followed by regrowth later.

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as you are above baseline I wouldn´t worry too much. My shedding never really stopped but the hair slowly thickened up.

chappaquiddick

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I looked at some past photos and I can say with some certainty that my hair has gotten a little worse 10 months into finasteride. However, I'm still above baseline and I only get small, light hairs when I do pull-tests. My guess is that those hairs have been shedding without me noticing, causing the thinness I now see. I'm not too concerned since I've read of other accounts of people who's hair goes to sh*t around this timeframe on the drug but ends up improving later on, in addition to a dermatologist saying it's unlikely the drug just stops working within the first year and especially after good progress. I'll give it 6 more months before making a judgement call on moving to dutasteride, if that fails as well then I suppose ill contact the hairpiece salon near me.

INT

Reaction score
As long as you are above baseline I wouldn´t worry too much. My shedding never really stopped but the hair slowly thickened up.

Offtopic: Hi IggyPop, I see you quit, and are about to restart RU.

Why did you quit and why do you want to start again?

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss sufferers are going to have a bigger change in the appearance of hair during shedding, and also sun-bleaching. Your hair will probably start to thicken up again in Autumn/Winter.

You should continue to expect dips and dives in the appearance of your hair until it is 'stable' but even then, it can change. I've been on treatment 3 years and I distinctly remember my hair always looks worse in the summer. Some weeks my hair will be amazing then I will shed and it will look stupid again. Now, I've kinda got use to it and recently I think my hair has been the worse it has been, probably from a super shed because I've switched minoxidil foam to liquid.

chappaquiddick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss sufferers are going to have a bigger change in the appearance of hair during shedding, and also sun-bleaching. Your hair will probably start to thicken up again in Autumn/Winter.

You should continue to expect dips and dives in the appearance of your hair until it is 'stable' but even then, it can change. I've been on treatment 3 years and I distinctly remember my hair always looks worse in the summer. Some weeks my hair will be amazing then I will shed and it will look stupid again. Now, I've kinda got use to it and recently I think my hair has been the worse it has been, probably from a super shed because I've switched minoxidil foam to liquid.

Thanks for the good advice, it helps to ease my anxiety. I never really experienced hair fall before I got on finasteride, could that mean any drug-induced sheds would be just as unnoticeable? My hair appears to be slightly worse than what it was a month or a month and a half ago but I never noticed any alarming hairfall since then.

DKC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem, I understand the hair loss anxiety and its always good to get feedback and advice to rebuff that your treatment is working.

To answer the question yes, its more noticeable when you already have hair loss to see hair falling out, when you had the thickest hair ever its not as noticeable because you don't think about it and basically, you have more hair so the appearance of density is still there. Kind of hard to explain but hope it makes sense.

Like I said before, in my own hair my overall hair density seems lower in the summer and starts to pick up when it gets colder.