Been on 1mg finasteride for 18 years thinking about microdosing. Bad idea?

hairnow_

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m new here but felt obligated to join and share my concerns lately.

I’ve been on 1mg finasteride daily for past 18 years and only sides I’ve experienced (to my knowledge) is increased chest fat that’s very hard to lose.

When I was younger it was less of a concern because I was very active playing sports putting in 4-5 hours a day so I didn’t feel the impact as much.

Now being 40 it’s become very hard to lose the chest fat and it’s starting to make me a little insecure. My “pecs” have a little point to them which I know isn’t considered normal for a male.

I’ve been wondering if changing my dosage might help bring blood DHT up enough to help reshape my chest. Would doing 1mg one day and 0.5mg the next and so on help? Or maybe 1mg every other day?

I obviously worry about losing ground since 1mg daily all this time has been effective at keeping my hair stabilized.

Any advice is appreciated. Btw pretty sure it’s not gyno as I’ve had this before and extensive exercise flattens my chest pretty well. And there’s no gland that can be felt.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m new here but felt obligated to join and share my concerns lately.

I’ve been on 1mg finasteride daily for past 18 years and only sides I’ve experienced (to my knowledge) is increased chest fat that’s very hard to lose.

When I was younger it was less of a concern because I was very active playing sports putting in 4-5 hours a day so I didn’t feel the impact as much.

Now being 40 it’s become very hard to lose the chest fat and it’s starting to make me a little insecure. My “pecs” have a little point to them which I know isn’t considered normal for a male.

I’ve been wondering if changing my dosage might help bring blood DHT up enough to help reshape my chest. Would doing 1mg one day and 0.5mg the next and so on help? Or maybe 1mg every other day?

I obviously worry about losing ground since 1mg daily all this time has been effective at keeping my hair stabilized.

Any advice is appreciated. Btw pretty sure it’s not gyno as I’ve had this before and extensive exercise flattens my chest pretty well. And there’s no gland that can be felt.
How many days a week do you go to gym ? Reducing fina dose or taking it EOD wont make a difference regarding your chest issue and it wont have a negative effect on your hair either.

hairnow_

My Regimen
Reaction score
How many days a week do you go to gym ? Reducing fina dose or taking it EOD wont make a difference regarding your chest issue and it wont have a negative effect on your hair either.
I don’t really do much strength training beyond some dumb bell exercises at home targeting the upper chest and arms. I do those every other day or two days depending on how much rest I need.

In terms of cardio I try doing at least an hour daily. Sometimes it’s a couple hours every 2-3 days.

So should I do 1mg every other day just so it’s not in my system as much if it won’t affect anything? I read finasteride can build up in the body and was wondering since it’s been 18 years if that could have anything to do with it

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one here can answer you if microdosing will fix your chest. To me it sounds very unlikely.
I wouldn't risk lowering my dosage if I were you. You're very lucky to maintain your hair for that long without serious sides.
Just keep working out and start paying more attention to what you eat. Worst case scenario, it doesn't do much for your chest, but you're still more fit and healthier than before

hairnow_

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had one doctor suggest not taking fina for 30 days to “reset” my system and see if the chest issue clears up and then go back on 1mg a day. He said due to being on it for so many years it would be backed up enough to allow such a long period of not taking it.

He also mentioned many of his patients do this when they’re trying to have kids, yet I was informed that being on fina doesn’t affect the ability to have kids?

Seems very risky to me though and it was just his opinion. Anyone heard of doing something like this?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

Try going for topical route, 0.1 % . 0.5mg of Finasteride inhibit almost the same as 1mg . May be , if you still want to use oral, try to use it 2 or 3 times per week .

hairnow_

My Regimen
Reaction score
So if I switch to 1mg EOD it won’t help increase blood dht at all while not affecting scalp DHT? I think I’m going to try it for a while. I just don’t like the idea that finasteride has been building up all this time in my system and I’m curious if it’ll help with chest issue.

If say I start losing ground on my hair at this dosage, could I recover by switching back to 1mg a day?

Btw here is a pic of my hair currently, it’s pretty much maintained this way since I started 18 years ago. Temple hairs never got any longer than this.

Attachments

• 4057453F-FC90-4916-B160-82607A2A6889.jpeg
    4057453F-FC90-4916-B160-82607A2A6889.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 162

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The side effect you described seems to be caused by aging and not finasteride. Our metabolism becomes slower with time. The right diet will give you better results than microdosing.

Ljpviper

Reaction score
Over 40 chest fat is normal part of aging, I agree with the other poster. Your metabolism is slower thus harder to burn fat. Just keep an ultra clean/strict diet.