Been on 0.25mg finasteride for 3 years

zapatero

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone. I first checked this site out over 3 years ago. I learned alot then, so I felt like it was my duty to share my experience. I began noticing my hair loss at age 22; it was slow which helped me remain in denial, until I was almost 30. I was losing hair in the front with the hair line receding. My intention was to maintain my hair.

From the research that I've read about Propecia, I decided to take 1/4 pill, or 0.25mg daily. I've been on this regiment religiously for almost 3 years. I could say that I indeed maintained what I had. However, I think that the increase in my hair count is probably small. It looks slightly better than 3 years ago (probably just thicker).

I check my liver functions every year. I never had any side effects except for some light pain in the balls 2 weeks after beginning (it lasted for a day or so). I never experienced heavy shedding. I used this medication alone, with occasional on and off Nizoral.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff...ever thought of taking more than 0.25mg to see if you get regrowth?...it's not like you've had sides.

Felk

Reaction score
Congratulations on your success, and a sincere thank you for taking the time to come and post about it. It's something hardly anyone does with any regimen, but it's even better since your success is with a significantly reduced dosage.

:beer:

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on 0.25mg for just over a year and I think my hair has got slightly worse since I started. I'm hoping it will now start to be more effective after a year. I had sides on 0.5mg and don't want to take anything more than 0.25mg again.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good stuff... u probably got more than most people would out 0.25mg daily after 3 years... good luck for future!

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
zapatero said:
Just wanted to share my experience with everyone. I first checked this site out over 3 years ago. I learned alot then, so I felt like it was my duty to share my experience. I began noticing my hair loss at age 22; it was slow which helped me remain in denial, until I was almost 30. I was losing hair in the front with the hair line receding. My intention was to maintain my hair.

From the research that I've read about Propecia, I decided to take 1/4 pill, or 0.25mg daily. I've been on this regiment religiously for almost 3 years. I could say that I indeed maintained what I had. However, I think that the increase in my hair count is probably small. It looks slightly better than 3 years ago (probably just thicker).

I check my liver functions every year. I never had any side effects except for some light pain in the balls 2 weeks after beginning (it lasted for a day or so). I never experienced heavy shedding. I used this medication alone, with occasional on and off Nizoral.

Good to see people coming back to share their experiences. I too lowered my finasteride dosage from 1mg to .2mg and .5mg. I found no difference between .5mg and 1mg for growth and maintenance. Although, at .2mg, I noticed my hair wasn't growing as thick or healthy; so after six months I decided to return to .5mg. The great thing is reducing my dosage most definitely reduced my sides, and made them very manageable.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
I too lowered my finasteride dosage from 1mg to .2mg and .5mg. I found no difference between .5mg and 1mg for growth and maintenance. Although, at .2mg, I noticed my hair wasn't growing as thick or healthy; so after six months I decided to return to .5mg. The great thing is reducing my dosage most definitely reduced my sides, and made them very manageable.

People are always talking about the possibility of reducing their finasteride dose to reduce or eliminate side-effects, while maintaining the beneficial effects for their hair. The only problem with that is that both of those are direct functions of DHT reduction. We all know that dropping from 1 mg/day to 0.5 mg/day only slightly degrades its ability to reduce DHT, so I wouldn't expect much improvement in side-effects, just like I wouldn't expect much deterioration in the hair. But if you really do think you found a smaller dose that supposedly achieves the best of both those worlds, then you should consider yourself lucky! :)

Bryan

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
joseph49853 said:
I too lowered my finasteride dosage from 1mg to .2mg and .5mg. I found no difference between .5mg and 1mg for growth and maintenance. Although, at .2mg, I noticed my hair wasn't growing as thick or healthy; so after six months I decided to return to .5mg. The great thing is reducing my dosage most definitely reduced my sides, and made them very manageable.

People are always talking about the possibility of reducing their finasteride dose to reduce or eliminate side-effects, while maintaining the beneficial effects for their hair. The only problem with that is that both of those are direct functions of DHT reduction. We all know that dropping from 1 mg/day to 0.5 mg/day only slightly degrades its ability to reduce DHT, so I wouldn't expect much improvement in side-effects, just like I wouldn't expect much deterioration in the hair. But if you really do think you found a smaller dose that supposedly achieves the best of both those worlds, then you should consider yourself lucky! :)

Bryan

If you can take an approach where everything is relative, and dosage and side effects aren't interdependent of one another, more power to you. And definitely consider yourself lucky being that immune.