Been Cold Turkey From Finasteride For 6 Months, Blood Test Results

Luke Tuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was on Propecia (finasteride) from the age of 28 for about 7 years. During that time I've become less bothered about sex, couldn't care less about winning, less aggression , less energy, struggled in the gym. As time went on I felt worse. I knew this was happening but keeping my hair was more important and I was OK with the way I felt.

My father died last September and this just made me feel 100x worse. Knowing that taking Propecia wasn't helping the matter I decided to come off it completely at the end of November 2016.

A snippet of the results are as follows:

November 2016 (Day I stopped taking finasteride)
----------------------------------------------------------------

HDL Cholesterol 1,24 nmol/l
LDL Cholesterol 3.92 mnol/l
Cholesterol 5.52 nmol/l

Testosterone 22.1 nmol/l
SHBG 62.52 nmol/l
Free Testosterone 0.308 nmol/l
17-Beta Oestradiol 87.06 pmol/L

June 2016 (6 months from cold turkey off Finasteride)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

HDL Cholesterol 1.30 nmol/l
LDL Cholesterol 4.16 mnol/l
Cholesterol 5.86 nmol/l

Testosterone 6.09 nmol/l
SHBG 76.97 nmol/l
Free Testosterone 0.062 nmol/l
17-Beta Oestradiol 43.01 pmol/L

I am very active, eat well, don't smoke with relatively low in body fat (11%) so I was shocked to know that my cholesterol was 5.86. Also my SHBG levels were very high so I assumed that this was the reason that I felt like I did (same effects of low testosterone when SHBG is high). My testosterone levels were normal. I assume the raised SHBG and Cholesterol was caused by Finasteride.

Fast forward 6 months and I've just had blood work done and couldn't believe my cholesterol is worse, as is SHBG and my testosterone is literally non existent. My estrogen levels have halved too. For those who have experience, is this to be expected?

Doing some research on the matter I think I was a but silly just going cold turkey off the finasteride, should have tapered off. Although the numbers aren't good, I actually feel better in myself compared to 6 months ago. I haven't done a DHT test but I guess that it was very low before and now it's normal or high which could explain why I feel better even with very low testosterone.

I don't really know where to go from here. I've booked to see my GP next week and then i'll book an appointment with an endocrinologist so see what they say.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Will my test levels steadily come back over time naturally? Also, would the Finasteride cause my high cholesterol ?

Thanks for any help! I have posted a couple of images of my test results.
Luke

Attachments

• November 2016.png
    November 2016.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 376
  • June 2017.png
    June 2017.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This didn't get any replies because nobody realised what this stats actually mean, and to be honest it's pretty nuts you didn't think they needed explaining.

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
This didn't get any replies because nobody realised what this stats actually mean, and to be honest it's pretty nuts you didn't think they needed explaining.
I am just interested to see if he's still dealing with it.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

His SHBG is extremely high (not necessarily bad), whereas both his total and free testosterone are very low (almost certainly bad).

MattyNJ1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go to an endocrinologist and get on some hormone therapy! thats what i would do.....