Beard hair on finasteride

barcafan

Reaction score
Can finasteride impede the development of facial hair in a young male? Just wondering since mine is kinda weak on the left, and strong on the right (just like my hairloss!). If this is the case i might just take a break off finasteride for a few months untill i get a decent beard in. My facial hair was coming in FAST the last 6 months untill i started finasteride.

Cassin

Reaction score
barcafan said:
Can finasteride impede the development of facial hair in a young male? Just wondering since mine is kinda weak on the left, and strong on the right (just like my hairloss!). If this is the case i might just take a break off finasteride for a few months untill i get a decent beard in. My facial hair was coming in FAST the last 6 months untill i started finasteride.

Good question.

My body hair has diminished greatly.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm definately shaving less overall but unless I'm mistaken, patches that were thinner are now getting thicker?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barcafan why would you like stronger facial hair?

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
im having the same question as barcafan since i already have most facial hair developed but still not full. i think having less body hair is a positive side effect but i dont want it to stop my development.

barcafan

Reaction score
It's not that i WANT stronger facial hair its just that my facial hair isnt even fully devloped. Yeah i have a hairy face but there are some areas where its not very thick so it just looks really retarded. I was just thinking maybe i should wait untill my beard fully matures because it may be some indication that I, myself am fully matured as well....

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
barca, i know what you mean...i still have gaps on both sides of my chin where really no hair grows...and on my neck area I dont really have hair growth...its really just in your genes...You're body is full developed so I would continue on with the propecia.

G

dude, trust me, you don't want more body hair or facial hair. i feel like i was due to get more body hair before starting dutasteride because my dad is a lot hairier than i am and my brother i sstarting to get some. now i don't think i'll ever get any hairier on my body or face because of dutasteride.

this is fine because most women today would prefer guys who aren't overly hairy anyway. in addition to me not getting any hairier on dutasteride, i've actually lost some body hair on dutasteride as well, from the chest and stomach hair thinning to the arm and leg hair as well. this is cool.

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
dude, trust me, you don't want more body hair or facial hair. i feel like i was due to get more body hair before starting dutasteride because my dad is a lot hairier than i am and my brother i sstarting to get some. now i don't think i'll ever get any hairier on my body or face because of dutasteride.

this is fine because most women today would prefer guys who aren't overly hairy anyway. in addition to me not getting any hairier on dutasteride, i've actually lost some body hair on dutasteride as well, from the chest and stomach hair thinning to the arm and leg hair as well. this is cool.

That makes complete sense, its making you feminine because its inhibiting so much of the dht.

jd24

Established Member
Reaction score
im on finpecia and worry about this too
i take 0.5 g ... hopefully a smaller dosage will have less of an effect but its impossible to tell
surely it cant block the growth of facial hair all together? but it seems to affect everyone very differently

would it grow normally after stopping the treatment?

G

Phillip said:
JayMan said:

That makes complete sense, its making you feminine because its inhibiting so much of the dht.

yep, some of the testosterone that would have been converted to dht can be converted to estrogen instead. this is a good thing, because estrogen is much better for male hair than T or DHT>

barcafan

Reaction score
I dont really have chest hair or back hair (its very fine barely noticible - i like that). I mean if my beard isnt fully in (almost there though) then maybe theres a chance i havent really reached full maturation....so i dont really wanna take any chances (I know the chances are remote, if any) but i dont wanna take a gamble. I'ma go off it for a few months and see how things go. I'll stay on the minoxidil and nizoral though.

jd24

Established Member
Reaction score
ive noticed more facial hair growth since starting the treatment in september... but this could just be existing growth getting thicker ..

definately more hair on the back of my neck & eye brows...
other people have reported the reverse of this

the article said:

based on the drug’s mechanism of action it is not likely to affect body growth (just stop the hair loss on top) and there is no data that Propecia interferes with sexual maturation (beard, body hair, nose hair, etc..). Propecia is a DHT blocker and, if anything, it will INCREASE your testosterone (the predominant hormone affecting your age group’s physical changes) when you take it.

i agree with that in theory... but in practice i dont know
maybe you are doijng the best thing... maybe it will cause no difference
its a tricky one