bdsanders story

BDSander

Reaction score
First time poster..I have been lurking around for a while, but I thought I would introduce myself. I am 25 years old and I am from Florida. The past year my hair around my temples was getting a little thin, but nothing serious at all. However my work offered me a health savings account and I thought I would use the money to purchase propecia. I thought to myself this will be a great investment, its not like it will hurt my hair, at best it would grow it back the little I have lost and at worst it would maintain what I have, right? Well, I must say this was the worst investment ever. Though I have only been on it for 2 ½ months I am losing hair at a rapid rate. Before I got on propecia I would run my hand through my hair and either no hairs or a few would come out. Now when I run my hand through my hair, I am losing 5 to 15 hairs each time. It is like a constant shed, when I wake up my pillow is full of hairs. My hair line is really receding and I just got my haircut and I am so incredibly thin on the top now. This is so very frustrating. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this is a normal effect to have for someone who had mild hair loss to now having a rapid increase in loss so fast. I know it is still early and I am going to stick with it! Well sorry for all the bitching, I just thought I would introduce myself and vent a little bite. If you would like to give me some words of encouragement I would greatly appreciate it.

XenonII

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm a new time poster as well. How long after you started taking Propecia did this shedding start? I have used this on and off for years and ive been on it pretty constantly for nearly a month now but i've never experienced any shedding. I've heard its common after about 6 weeks of being on it though but I don't think it's supposed to last very long...

BDSander

Reaction score
I started shedding after only a couple weeks. I hear people say how the shedding comes and goes, but my shedding is very consist. It seems individuals all react different to their particular treatments. I am curious as to if there are any success stories out there of people who have had similar starts such as mine.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you are only at the 2 and a half month mark you are probably just going through a normal shed however I find it quite curious how all the negative stories of this site never come with pictures whereas all of the positive ones come complete with pictures.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
I also started taking propecia for my temples / hairline 7 months ago (together with minoxidil) and my hair is still getting worse. I dont consider that I have had any "sheds" at all... but i dont blame propecia for it.

I have read that your hair can be at its thinnest at the 6th month period (of finasteride treatment).

I really hope for some success, but I think its getting further and further away.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
lain said:
I also started taking propecia for my temples / hairline 7 months ago (together with minoxidil) and my hair is still getting worse. I dont consider that I have had any "sheds" at all... but i dont blame propecia for it.

I have read that your hair can be at its thinnest at the 6th month period (of finasteride treatment).

I really hope for some success, but I think its getting further and further away.

I know what you mean... your pre-treatment pics actually show less of temple recession.