BBQ lover to vegatarian

Cassin

Reaction score
So I have dipped my toes into this before and its been a long time coming but I am going into this full time now. Rarely I plan on having tuna, shrimp, salmon or tilapia but that's it. And I know that can be picked apart not being a true vegetarian of course but whatever.

I am in Texas where BBQ's are weekly so this will be a change and I expect a lot of grief from my friends & family. All good natured of course.

So...anyone have any vegetarian recipes they are especially fond of? Please share.

Oh and I can't stand tofu.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Don't they deport people from Texas for such offenses?

LOL.. dude, I wouldn't be able to do it. Just driving by one of the good BBQ places over there and smelling the woodchip-infused aroma of the smoke is enough to make me stop in.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Don't they deport people from Texas for such offenses?

I can't even imagine the look on my dads face when he starts grilling soon.

The Gardener said:
LOL.. dude, I wouldn't be able to do it. Just driving by one of the good BBQ places over there and smelling the woodchip-infused aroma of the smoke is enough to make me stop in.

Man I know it...I was at my car today after work loading it with vegetarian crap and I could smell some burgers from Snuffer's 100 yards away and I was dying. I don't know whats wrong with me but the thought of eating meat makes me want to vomit and its been getting worse as I get older. The other night I was eating a awesome steak I made and I just couldn't do it. I tossed it and just ate my salad.

I can grill salmon with the best of them so its not all lost.

Snuffers makes the best burgers in Texas

102890-0-0-2.jpg

Plano%20snuffers.jpg

ali777

Reaction score
I usually marinate the veg and just grill them....

Get some veg, eg peppers, onion, mushrooms, courgettes (I don't know what you call those over there), chillies, etc... Cut them in big chunks, and marinate. My marinate sauce is made of olive oil, salt, garlic, black peppers, or whatever I fancy that particular day. Maybe a bit of basil or oregano. Grill for 5-10 mins, or until cooked.

Serve with creamy sauce and fresh salad. I really like white sauces with my grilled veg, ie, some sort of mayonnaise sauce or greek tzatziki. Anything with yogurt or mayonnaise would be nice.

PS: If the vegetables are likely to fall into the grill, use skewers.
PS2: You could add tomato into the mix as well, but I prefer it without tomatoes.

PS3: I'm not vegetarian but I love grilled/roast vegetables. I have them on their own, as a salad with meat, etc....

Cassin

Reaction score
ali777 said:
PS3: I'm not vegetarian but I love grilled/roast vegetables. I have them on their own, as a salad with meat, etc....

I am a vegetarian only until I can stand to eat meat again. I hope this is very temporary.

ali777

Reaction score
ground peppercorns...

I thought black pepper or ground black pepper was universal :woot:

PS: sorry... it's my poor english.. it's not black pepperS, just black pepper :innocent:

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
are you turning your back on the fish tacos as well?

that burger looked great..... what was in the platter with the sliced jalapenios?.. bacon?.... good stuff.

Cassin

Reaction score
patagonia said:
are you turning your back on the fish tacos as well?

No I love fish tacos as well!

patagonia said:
that burger looked great..... what was in the platter with the sliced jalapenios?.. bacon?.... good stuff.

Yes! They have the best jalapeno's & diced bacon! Its wonderful !

dsc01984smrt3.jpg

CCS

Reaction score
I heard rabbit meat tastes much better if you cook it live. And makes you feel even higher on the food chain compared to cooking sterile pieces of "meat".

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
I heard rabbit meat tastes much better if you cook it live. And makes you feel even higher on the food chain compared to cooking sterril slabs of flesh.

UHHHHH.....

Old Baldy

Reaction score
kadosh said:
cassin , why do you want to become a vegatarian ?

That's a good question. What's wrong with eating a little meat now and then? Just don't overdo it.

Same with milk, cheese, butter fats and eggs. Good for you as long as you don't go crazy with eating massive quantities of them IMHO.

If only I could stand the taste of milk. Blah!! :(

Cassin

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
kadosh said:

That's a good question. What's wrong with eating a little meat now and then?

The thought of the killing process has lodged into my head and its now a mental thing I can't get pass. Its basically made it inedible to me right now. Its an unwindable discussion really...

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just think of it as eating Carrots...only at one time these particular Carrots had thoughts, desires, feelings, central nervous systems, and fears.

CCS

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Old Baldy said:
kadosh said:

That's a good question. What's wrong with eating a little meat now and then?

The thought of the killing process has lodged into my head and its now a mental thing I can't get pass. Its basically made it inedible to me right now. Its an unwindable discussion really...

You are paying someone else to do it. You can go get a pet and give it lots of love if it makes you feel better. It won't know. It will love you right back.

Seriously though, we should pass some basic laws for humane killing. They are killed in the wild anyway. We give them a free ride. We just got to make sure their life is OK before we kill them without them knowing. Some places are OK, some places not. Sign this petition:

http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/g-pinkpetition.asp

lexicon

Reaction score
Right on Cassin!!

Everyone should Go to you tube type in

Earthlings

Find the film with Joaquin Phoenix Narrating it and see if you can watch the whole hour or so without crying or becoming a vegetarian.

The way we treat other inhabitants of this planet is terrible but we are evolving for the better.

:bravo:

Cassin

Reaction score
lexicon said:
Everyone should Go to you tube type in

Earthlings

Find the film with Joaquin Phoenix Narrating it and see if you can watch the whole hour or so without crying or becoming a vegetarian.

:bravo:

Thank you.

And please....nobody post that video here...don't even link it....I don't want to see it and we don't need to post that or any horrible pics on this site.

lexicon

Reaction score
Ah ha, er, sorry got caught up in the moment. :whistle:

Sweet corns BBQ grilled nando's style are my fav's ?

You guys have nando's over the pond right ?

Obsidian

Reaction score
I've cut down on my red meat consumption but I can never give up chicken or fish.

EDIT: I need to look through my recipe book. I have a recipe for Southwestern style soup that you can easily take the ground meat out of.