BBen's Story - last update 15/08/2011

bben

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been losing hair for maybe 2 years now, it started at the temples but over the past 6 months I've seen it thinning all over the top. This past month it's got terrible and although it looks alright dry when it's wet it looks like I'm already almost completely bald (at least to me)...

Anyway I'm 22yo and like everyone else my age with hair loss this is really bugging me. I finally went to a dermo..(?) hair/skin doctors and we spoke about solutions, she said that I should use Alopexy (2% minoxidil) and take some pills (lobamine cysteine) for 3 months to help with a seasonal shed which I seem to be having at the moment (apparently that's normal this time of year?).

We did talk about propecia/finasteride but she didn't seem to think it's worth it unless this doesn't work? From what I've been reading on the forum & elsewhere finasteride + minoxidil complement each other. Should I wait the 6 months til my next visit & then ask her for finasteride or should I just jump onto using finasteride/min & nizoral as suggested here?

I really look forward to getting your advice, thanks. :)

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's story (22yo / no treatment yet)

I'm adding a few pics so you can see at what stage I am at the moment.

I'd really appreciate any advice, after taking these pics I can see just how sh*t my hair is now :shock: & I want to get started on something asap. The pics aren't great quality because they're taken with my phone also there's no flash but I'm standing directly under a light instead (which makes it all look worse) lol

[attachment=5:71x4q8lw]left-temp.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
[attachment=4:71x4q8lw]right-temp.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
[attachment=3:71x4q8lw]top-dry-before.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
[attachment=2:71x4q8lw]top-wet.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
[attachment=1:71x4q8lw]top-wet-combed.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
[attachment=0:71x4q8lw]before-work.jpg[/attachment:71x4q8lw]
From seeing these pics I can't believe none of my friends/family have commented on my hair loss.

Please give me some advice about my questions in the 1st post, should I just go on minoxidil, etc.. like suggested by the dermo or start like recommended on this forum? I'm hoping I've caught this early enough on, from this forum it looks like some people have succeeded from much worse then this.

Attachments

• left-temp.jpg
    left-temp.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 265
  • right-temp.jpg
    right-temp.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 242
  • top-dry-before.jpg
    top-dry-before.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 227
  • top-wet.jpg
    top-wet.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 261
  • top-wet-combed.jpg
    top-wet-combed.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 256
  • before-work.jpg
    before-work.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 262

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: BBen's story (22yo / no treatment yet) with pics

hi.

. your hair loss type seems to have the highest chance of reversing.
. hurry up and get on big 3.

if you don't know what big 3 is.. read up in this forum.
there are so many of posts just like yours and the advices are all the same
"HURRY UP AND GET ON BIG 3!"

bben

Reaction score

templemonk said:
. your hair loss type seems to have the highest chance of reversing.
. hurry up and get on big 3.
:woot: this is the best news I've had in a long time. I hope you're right.

I think I found the info on the big 3 a while back. I can't seem to find it anymore though :( I'll get searching now. I'm pretty sure finasteride/propecia was 1 of them. Do you know the best place to buy it online? I'm in France though hopefully there's some that will deliver here without a prescription (my doctor didn't give me a presc. for finasteride just for minoxidil).

southerndrawl

Reaction score

hi I would go back to the derm and tell her to put you on propecia asap. The sooner you start the more hair you can save.

Funny thing is when I went to the derm to get on finasteride I was scared that this was gonna happen to me. Get a derm like you have that dismisses male pattern baldness because your "too young." You are losing hair. It is male pattern baldness. It is not a "seasonal shed", although I know you wish it were but just accept it and treat it promptly. If you start soon you should have some pretty good results.

good luck
-Nick

astros148

Established Member
Reaction score

i have no idea why people tell others to get on min without knowing anything. You should only start on finasteride if you wish to go that route and stay on it for about a year and evaluate yourself after that. many people dont ever need to get on Min cuz finasteride does the job

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (22yo / no treatment yet) with pics

The thing is I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment so I'd rather spend the money I have directly on what I need rather then on more appointments.

I think it's pretty definite what I need so is it really worth seeing the dermo again? I did find a site which was recommended on here for finasteride that delivered worldwide but I can't find it now...

What's the recommended (& cheap) site to get Generic finasteride? :dunno:

I realize that it's for life but I think it's worth it, at least for a few more years. Just feels that I'm too young to be bald ;)

Thanks for your replies everyone.

bben

Reaction score

Ok, maybe it's worth getting another appointment then. I was reading through the hairloss guide on this site and it recommends Rogaine foam, the dermo told me to use Alopexy (2% minoxidil) is this essentially the same thing? But the foam easier to apply & quicker drying is that right?

I know I'm a pain with all the questions :) I really appreciate your help, thanks.

bben

Reaction score

I picked up my prescription yesterday so I'm now using 2% minoxidil (morning & night) & lobamine cysteine (2 at each meal). I'll post some more pics hopefully once a month so I can keep track.

I also ordered FinCar from Inhouse pharmacy but they won't get here for a few weeks yet.

I've got a few Q's about the minoxidil, from reading the instructions I should apply it on dry hair but should I wash my hair before? At the moment I plan on washing my hair before the morning application. I don't need to bother washing it again before applying it at night do I?

southerndrawl

Reaction score

your getting finasteride from the internet aye? I wish you the best. It's kind of hit or miss with those sites. I used to get my finasteride from the internet too. The first time I ordered I got fincar. I'm sure it was real. I experienced sides and some thickening at the end of the 90 days. When I reordered from the same site they sent me a different brand that nobody on here recognized. Turns out they were fake. Those websites don't always get their stuff from the same supplier. The site maybe legit but the supplier may not be. Like I said it can be hit or miss. I have never ordered through inhouse, but I have heard good things about them. After getting ripped off for 3 months I will never buy from a website again.

take it from me it is well worth it to just get a prescription and buy it from the pharmacy. You absolutely know your getting the real stuff, so it takes that much frustration out of hairloss. I know everyone thinks 73 bucks is alot of money and it is to those of us that need it at a young age, but it's 73 bucks a month. Thats $2.44 a day. I'm sure you can save $2.44 a day to afford it.
However you plan to get it I wish you the best of luck. I know how much it sucks to be young and going bald.

bben

Reaction score

I'll give them a go as I've already ordered them but if they seem fake I'll definitely get them from a pharmacy next time. Thanks for the heads up.

It's now been almost a week I've been using minoxidil & taking Lobamine, I've noticed that I'm losing a lot less hair. When I apply the minoxidil it's very rare that I get any hair on my fingers occasionally I'll get 1 or 2 but no more. When I wash my hair I get maybe 10-15 hairs but I think that's pretty normal. I don't notice as many hairs falling out on their own (I used to see hairs on my paperwork when I sit at the desk for a while). Is it possible that it slows down this fast or am I just imagining a difference? :whistle:

Caesar

Reaction score

Around the 2week mark i noticed that hair wasn't falling out as readily, im at the two month mark now and I can run my fingers through my hair getting maybe one or two.

southerndrawl

Reaction score

Is it possible that it slows down this fast or am I just imagining a difference?

It depends on the person. Most notice an almost immediate slow down for a week or 2 followed by a shed. My first 2 weeks on finasteride my shedding slowed down then it returned back to what I have come to accept as "normal" for me. Then it stopped again followed by another big shed. Currently I'm shed free. Your first couple months can be up and down like that with any treatment.

southerndrawl

Reaction score

I've been told that if the finasteride is legit it will always come with an instruction pamphlet. Also check the pills. They should have something stamp into them. Ask someone on here what the pills look like, and try to get someone to post pics of the packaging and pills to make sure. You can never be too careful.

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (22yo with pics)

southerndrawl, there wasn't an instruction leaflet with them nor anything on the pills :( but after googling it I found a few posts on forums saying that they were legit. I also found pictures & the packaging is exactly the same.

1 month update:
I've now been on minoxidil for 1 month today & finasteride for 2 weeks. For 2 weeks my shedding slowed right down, once on the finasteride I started shedding a bit more & now I'm shedding quite a lot. To be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I am happy knowing that it's at work & that I'm finally taking action against male pattern baldness :punk:

I didn't bother taking any photos as I don't think there's been any improvement yet as it's only been a month. I have however noticed that it seems to be thickening some of my previously thin hairs, does minoxidil/finasteride do this? I thought they just helped grow new ones? Anyway my hair looks thicker despite the extra shedding so I'm happy.

I am using a special hair loss shampoo I bought on the net (before I knew about Min/finasteride) which I only used for a short time then stuck in the cupboard as I started shedding & blamed the shampoo. Now I know that the shampoo probably doesn't help hair loss but it is awesome at killing dandruff (I had it really bad before) & making hair look healthier & thicker. So I started using it again every other day, I guess it's probably similar to nizoral as it helps if my scalp gets itchy too.

The only sides I had was the first few days on minoxidil I had heart palpitations, but now nothing so I guess I'm lucky :)

Anyway that's about it this month, more next month!

bben

Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (22yo with pics) update p2

2 month update
I've now stopped shedding even when washing my hair I only get a few hairs coming out. I've taken some more photos although there's not really any change yet except from it being longer (I'm gonna have to cut it soon).

I've tried to take the same pics as the first time so it's easier to compare.
[attachment=4:1aiidc1q]IMG_0645.JPG[/attachment:1aiidc1q]
[attachment=3:1aiidc1q]IMG_0633.JPG[/attachment:1aiidc1q]
[attachment=2:1aiidc1q]IMG_0650.JPG[/attachment:1aiidc1q]
[attachment=1:1aiidc1q]IMG_0658.JPG[/attachment:1aiidc1q]
[attachment=0:1aiidc1q]IMG_0674.JPG[/attachment:1aiidc1q]

I don't think there's really any improvement, it's just longer lol I'm thinking of cutting it but then it would make it even more obvious wouldn't it? The last photo doesn't look too good but when I sort my hair out before clubbing, etc. it looks fine (a lot better then here).

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 230

Jm0311

Reaction score

If you want our advice

shave that mop, then let us evaluate you

bben

Reaction score

Four month update

Thought it was about time for an update so here goes...

After just over four months of being on minoxidil & FinCar I really can't say for sure whether or not my hair has improved...

I took Jm0311's advice and "shaved that mop" a few months ago and it does make it look a lot better, I've attached pictures I took earlier today after another hair cut. I'd like to think that it's improved but I'm not sure if it's not just because of it looking neater.

What do you guys think? And do you have any tips on what I could do to help improve? At the moment it's minoxidil 2% morning & night and 1/4 fincar every day. I've just run out of finasteride and forgot to order in advance so now I've got to go a week or two without until it arrives. Hopefully this won't reverse what I've achieved so far.

Anyway here are the pics, let me know what you think.

[attachment=3:1dt3v2nf]IMG_0677.JPG[/attachment:1dt3v2nf]
[attachment=2:1dt3v2nf]IMG_0682.JPG[/attachment:1dt3v2nf]
[attachment=1:1dt3v2nf]IMG_0687.JPG[/attachment:1dt3v2nf]
[attachment=0:1dt3v2nf]IMG_0689.JPG[/attachment:1dt3v2nf]

Attachments

• IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Re: BBen's Story (22yo) update p3 with pics

Hey BBen! Looks great!

I just started taking 1/4 fincar as well. Have you had any sides? I'm stressing out over it. This whole day has been difficult to get through! I'm so scared of the sides haha.