BBC - Soy 'stops cancer and baldness'

bodysnatcher

Established Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3607815.stm

Soy 'stops cancer and baldness'
Scientists have claimed that eating soy could help prevent men from developing prostate cancer and from going bald.

US researchers found a molecule produced in the intestine when soy is digested stops a hormone which can fuel prostate growth or cause baldness.

Writing in the journal Biology of Reproduction, they said the finding could explain why Japanese men, who eat more soya, rarely have prostate cancer.

They said the molecule could be used as a treatment for cancer and baldness.

The team found that the molecule, equol, "handcuffs" the male hormone DHT - a by-product of testosterone.

The researchers say this could be particularly important for men who have been diagnosed with either an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia), or cancer of the prostate.

DHT has also been implicated in research into the causes of male pattern baldness.

Other drugs developed in recent years aimed at blocking the effect of DHT have been developed.

But these drugs, which stopped an enzyme converting testosterone into DHT, were found to cause side effects.

'Holy grail'

The US researchers found equol does not prevent DHT from being made, but it does stop it functioning.

They carried out two experiments on rats which showed injecting equol into male rats reduced the size of the prostate.

In one, the testes of male rats were removed, so they produced no DHT. When investigators injected DHT into rats, their prostates grew.

When they injected rats with both equol and DHT, the equol prevented the DHT from functioning as it normally would - as a stimulator of prostate growth.

Professor Robert Handa, from Colorado State's College of Veterinary Medicine, who led the research, said: "Directly binding and inactivating DHT without influencing testosterone gives equol the ability to reduce many of the harmful effects of androgens [male hormones] without affecting the beneficial ones."

Dr Kenneth Setchell, of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, who first identified the potential of equol 20 years ago, said: "These findings are of immense clinical importance because blocking the action of the potent male hormone DHT has been one of the holy grails of the pharmaceutical industry as a strategy for treating prostate cancer and other related diseases."

He said the soy molecule did this "very effectively."

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK told BBC News Online: "One third of all cancers are thought to be linked to diet but it is not known exactly which components of our diet protect against cancer or indeed place us at increased risk.

"We do know that countries with a high intake of soy in their diet, such as Japan, tend to have lower rates of prostate cancer and some other types, with the active ingredients in soy thought to be isoflavones.

"There's a lot of research into whether isoflavones can be used to prevent the spread of prostate cancer, which usually develops slowly."

He added: "This study is interesting in that it raises the possibility of using a metabolite of isoflavones as a preventative agent against prostate cancer, which is now the most commonly diagnosed cancer in British men."

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about this a long while back BUT I also read something that said that only a certian pct. of people are able to produce equol (I think there is a way to test for it but its rather complicated). Not everybody...there is always a catch isnt there. :wink:

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Funny, there was a thread a week or two ago that said the exact opposite with respect to cancer - that it was shown soy and soy protein caused a huge increase in cancer.

Adrian

Reaction score
My sister is lactose intolerant and our family has been drinking soy milk since I was four ... hasn't done me any good!

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So whats the bottom line? Does is protect or cause cancer? If taken in the right amounts does it protects against cancer, and taking too much can increase the risks of cancer?

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
Adrian said:
My sister is lactose intolerant and our family has been drinking soy milk since I was four ... hasn't done me any good!

damn, well there goes that idea. :roll:

Goingat20

Reaction score
-cj- said:
Probably because soy can cause excess estrogen in men, lol.

Thats correct, thats why some body builders would stay away from soy

michael barry

Reaction score
I know Dr. Mercola thinks soy is dangerous,

BUT, soy has been eaten for thousands of years. Asians are generally a very healthy people other than lung disorders (they smoke alot and China is belting out mega pollution from their factories as they have no EPA over there). I wouldnt worry about it. A natural way to protect yourself from prostate cancer, and almost surely would help your hair.

Felk

Reaction score
Thinning said:
Funny, there was a thread a week or two ago that said the exact opposite with respect to cancer - that it was shown soy and soy protein caused a huge increase in cancer.

I'd also heard this. Stupid confliciting information

hoit

Reaction score
-cj- said:
hoit said:
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm[/url]

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm

it can't because soya isn't oestrogenic, it's phyto-oestrogenic.

Um, soy contians phytoestrogens.[/quote:9ec14]

I only wrote one sentence, the least you could've done would be to read all of it.

copied and pasted from a bodybuilding site:

"Soy is a rich source of phyto-estrogens (sorry i spell the US way cos its easy), now these are estrogen like compounds dervied from plants - hence the name. Anyway phyto estrogens support the production of estrogen in the body - this is where the misconception that they are estrogenic comes from.
for women hormonal support for estrogen is great - hence the big marketing push of soy products at women - unfortunately this has served to reinforce the myth that soy is estrogenic.

phyto estrogens are not estrogenic. You see an estrogenic compound would cause the body to have more estrogen - it would supply it or cause the raised production of it. This is not the same as supporting natural production. Supporting natural production means that your body is able to produce what it should. Now when you see soy pushed at menopausal women it is because their bodies decrease estrogen production, but also the mechanisms supporting estrogen production can stop working properly - so they get a double hormonal wammy so to speak. By supporting natural production you at least put one bit back how it should be - which will alleviate symptoms.

All great stuff for the girls - what about us blokes. Well our bodies produce estrogen too, we have estrogen receptors and we need a certain level of the girlie hormone to function (and I dont mean just so we can cry at the the Cancer UK adverts! ). If you look at the action of testosterone then you will see that its action comes with estrogen as part of that - thats why when we supply endogenous testosterone we block estrogen because supra physiological testosterone comes the overhead of raised (supra physiological) levels of estrogen.

So where does that leave soy - well, modern soy products are still rich in phyto estrogens so girls and boys can be assured that eating soy will keep good old estrogen production supported and with any luck where it should be. Us boys can breathe easy knowing that it doesnt raise estrogen, but rather means that our bodies are doing what they should with the girlie hormone. Which brings us to it as a protein source.
Soy has an excellent and complete amnio acid profile - which means its a top source, yes it has a lower bv, but frankly no one gives a stuff about BV anyway its all pdcaa's anyway - as the amino acid availability is closer to what your body sees when the protein is digested than BV ever was. Also its slowly digested, and the whole food forms usually have a decent amount of fibre in there. Its a low fat food - cos it has none, if you are a bit of cooking wiz then soy mince can make some pretty tasty dishes and soy protein is available as powder that goes down as easy as.

As you may guess I like soy - I use it regularly when in hard training - thats everyday - as part of good low carb meal replacement shake, and to top up protein levels at meals when I feel its needed. Also I like to cook with the stuff as I can bulk out meals with it for relatively few calories - so I dont walk around ready to eat anything that isnt tied down.

hope that helps

big les"[/b]

dudler

Reaction score
Personal Experience

I'd be wary of using soy, or at least overdoing it. As with many posts here, I have anecdotal experience to share. My hair loss began following a diet of soy milk. I set a New Year's resolution on Jan. 1 2004 to lose some weight and began drinking soy milk instead of dairy, as well as limiting my caloric intake. By June 2004, I went from having no signs of hairloss to having diffuse thinning across the top of my scalp. Strangely enough, considering the comments made about the soy-estrogen link, my hair loss has followed a female pattern of baldness. The dietary change was really the only major factor that I could identify that might account for this drastic change, that is, there were no other identifiable stressors or life changes during that period. BTW, I'm 34 years old.

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Personal Experience

dudler said:
I'd be wary of using soy, or at least overdoing it. As with many posts here, I have anecdotal experience to share. My hair loss began following a diet of soy milk. I set a New Year's resolution on Jan. 1 2004 to lose some weight and began drinking soy milk instead of dairy, as well as limiting my caloric intake. By June 2004, I went from having no signs of hairloss to having diffuse thinning across the top of my scalp. Strangely enough, considering the comments made about the soy-estrogen link, my hair loss has followed a female pattern of baldness. The dietary change was really the only major factor that I could identify that might account for this drastic change, that is, there were no other identifiable stressors or life changes during that period. BTW, I'm 34 years old.
Wasn't the soy my friend, it was you trying to make your own daily menu, with lack of knowledge about obligatory basic foods your hair and boty needs. Next time do not risk yourself, go see a dietician.

dudler

Reaction score
You make it sound like I needed to talk with a dietician to know that I should mix in some vegetables and fruit, but I've seen the Food Pyramid like everyone else. The diet I followed was the Zone Diet, which I still like and found highly effective. I had well-balanced meals and merely exercised portion control, which is central to that diet. Unfortunately, I did the Soy Zone diet, and I think the effects of soy are not as well established as they should be. An earlier post indicated a doctor characterized it as "dangerous." People simply point to how much tofu the Japanese eat and seem content implying that soy must account for their relative vitality and longevity. Would a dietician have advised against substituting soy for other sources of protein? I don't know. In every other regard the diet worked great - I lost weight, felt good, and looked good (except my hair). :(

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Thinning said:

I'd also heard this. Stupid confliciting information

Interestingly, studies about the contraceptive pill show that it increases chances of getting some forms of cancer, but also decreases some others; and that both balance out each other.

Que

Reaction score
Losing weight quickly can cause hairloss. Did you shed those pounds pretty fast?

mrsmith

Reaction score
Re: Personal Experience

dudler said:
My hair loss began following a diet of soy milk. I set a New Year's resolution on Jan. 1 2004 to lose some weight and began drinking soy milk instead of dairy, as well as limiting my caloric intake. By June 2004, I went from having no signs of hairloss to having diffuse thinning across the top of my scalp.

I don't know what to say there, but I suspect that Soy Milk products may not be the right way to go with Soy. I really don't know, but I have been drinking soy consistently for about 2-3 years and I can't say either way. I DO think that easily processed protein, lower cholesterol (no red meat or pork or friend sh*t), and calcium and B vites (porridge anyone) ARE all beneficial to the hair and scalp.

Does anyone not remember studies making the corellation between heart disease and baldness?

I'll experiement and stop using Soy milk and see what my hair does after a couple of months. I am drinking less soy milk anyway and did notice that diffuseness was improving, but that could be my regimen of finasteride (5-6 months with some small 1-2 week breaks), nizoral and MSM kicking in. I also began eating more lean meats and milk; helping maintain good levels of protein and Vite D.

My bet is that most commercial Soy Milk is not as easily processed as Tofu and more natural style soy products. If Equol itself ever makes it to a bottle, it might be the Holy Grail we are looking for.