bazzle's story

bazzle

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm a 20 year old male, and in the last month or so I've been noticing some thinning/losing of hair, and about 4 months ago, I lost about 25 pounds (from 185 to 160 over a period of about a month). This hair loss is very odd because there is absolutely zero history of baldness on my dad's side of the family, and my mom's side has only some baldness, but not until the late 30s or early 40s (no one in her family has started this young). I went to the doctor, and she gave me a pretty reassuring answer when I asked her why I was losing hair: she said that sudden drastic weight loss like mine often coincides with some hair loss but once the weight loss stops, the hair grows back. That was pretty good to hear, but now it's a few weeks later, I'm slowly gaining back the weight, but the hair loss still remains (though I think at a slower rate).

Has anyone out there experienced something similar? Is it possible that I'm still experiencing some belated hair loss from the weight thing, or should I worry about male pattern baldness despite the genetic unlikelihood of that scenario? Thanks for your help; I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

VOVVIE

Established Member
Reaction score
Im 19 :/ and have been thinning since 16... Who knows what it could be, if what the doctor says is true, then things like that take time. Be patient. But access the situation, look around on the boards, know the signs of male patter baldness, and get educated. You never know, you may have picked up a recessive trait, it may just be because of your loss in weight (rhymed), but nip it in the butt. Dont forget, we're hear to help you, if need be.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
make sure you eat a healthy and balanced diet. it will take some time for your hair to get back to the way it was, if the weight loss is the cause, but it will and you can leave this terrible, terrible forum. :)

wotsthedeal

Reaction score
Kevin, I've been losing hair from an iron deficiency for months now, and the doctors I've seen have told me it can take a year before I'll notice my hair getting back to normal. If I were you, I would relax and try to stop worrying about it. If you are actually are going bald, I think the sudden shedding could be a blessing because it forces you to notice it and you can jump on the Propecia if you want to, better than gradual shedding that you dont notice until you have real bald spots.