Bayer Prolactin Receptor Antibody For Male And Female Pattern Hair Loss

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let's hope SMI will be enough but I'm not sure as pegasus already stated before:

There is SMI-1 and SMI-6 that @FollicleGuardian found for a cheap price. It's not the same though. Per the patent, competitive antagonists of the receptor are ineffective in the hair follicle because concentrations of prolactin are too high since it's produced within the hair follicle, and prolactin has a higher binding affinity for the receptor than the antagonists.

This might be why the small molecule antagonists don't include hair loss as a potential indication in the patent.

The antibody is a non-competitive inhibitor, meaning that it doesn't have to outcompete prolactin for receptor binding. It can bind to the receptor along with prolactin and still silence it.

I think the competitive antagonists are likely better than nothing, but they won't give the kind of regrowth the antibody does
Per the BAY patent:

competitive PRLR antagonists are not effective in neutralizing local PRL signaling in the hair follicle due to their negative characteristics which are

1) a reduced PRLR inhibition in the presence of increasing PRL concentrations due to the competitive mechanism of action
2) reduced half-life
3) reduced affinity to the PRLR if compared to PRL.

SMI has already solved no 2. It also has very strong affinity to the PRL receptor. Kd= 3.3. It remains to be seen if it is enough to solve 1, and 3.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
SMI is for breast cancer, and in breast cancer tissues iirc the PRL concentration is 17.6x normal tissues. So it should in theory be very potent. If not it will never work for breast cancer. And consequenses much worse than balding ofc.

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.asiaone.com/business/ho...nancing-strengthening-capabilities-global?amp

Tl;dr: Hopemed closes $56mm series B round. Will be used to fund HMI-115 phase 2 alopecia studies for US/CN/EU, which will start "soon" (2021 for sure it seems). Again confirmed successful HMI-115 phase 1 in humans.

Ok, between this and Kintor the Chinese are officially not here to f*** around. If they start and finish phase 2 in 2021 and immediately go to phase 3, could we see this drug released in early 2023?

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.asiaone.com/business/ho...nancing-strengthening-capabilities-global?amp

Tl;dr: Hopemed closes $56mm series B round. Will be used to fund HMI-115 phase 2 alopecia studies for US/CN/EU, which will start "soon" (2021 for sure it seems). Again confirmed successful HMI-115 phase 1 in humans.

Ok, between this and Kintor the Chinese are officially not here to f*** around. If they start and finish phase 2 in 2021 and immediately go to phase 3, could we see this drug released in early 2023?
Amazing find bro!

Gegen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Here's my dopamine rush
so_good.jpg

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score

That's actually a large series-B for a company who's primary indication is hairloss. These guys are not playing around and there must be some serious hype on this antibody behind the scenes.

Seriously, can anyone name a larger funding round for a leading hairloss compound? Most companies are kicking scraps of funding in the single millions if lucky.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

Awesome. Wish we knew what soon was.