Basf Signs 3d Bioprinting Deal With Poeitis

mikes23

Reaction score
Since 2015, French biotechnology company Poeitis has been co-developing its 3D laser-assisted bioprinting technology to fabricate skin models. Now BASF, the largest chemicals producer in the world, will be helping Poeitis develop the technology for new services in the cosmetics industry.
Mimeskin is BASF’s answer for synthetic skin. As such, the first stage of the Poeitis agreement will focus on developing automated production of Mimeskin models, adding to R&D intelligence gained in a previous project with BASF. Afterwards, the collaborators will work on adding more complexity to the models, adding new cell types such as pigment producing melanocytes or hair cells.

Sebastien Cadau, head of tissue engineering development at BASF, explains, “During our cooperation, we gained important insights like the parameters and kinetics of dermis maturation. A mature and thick dermis is an essential condition to obtain optimum results in epidermal printing.”

Entering the commercial market

Since September 2016 Poeitis has been working with L’Oréal cosmetics to develop 3D bioprinted hair. Biotechnology competitor Organovo has also been working with the French cosmetics giant in efforts to fabricate skin tissue. However a sharp decline in Organovo’s share-price and having a sizeable proportion of their workforce redundant has added to concerns about the company.

BASF’s intention is to bring several new skin therapy treatments to market “in the coming years.” In relation to BASF, Bruno Brisson, Poietis Co-Founder and Vice President of Business Development, concludes, “This agreement confirms a fruitful scientific collaboration and strengthens our partnership with the leading ingredients manufacturer for the personal care market.”

“This is a formal recognition of Poietis’ unique technology and its valorization driven by new developments since the creation of the company.”
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/basf-signs-3d-bioprinting-cosmetics-deal-poeitis-123313/

this is nothing ground breaking, but we know they wont have to worry about running into financing problems with L'Oreal and BASF backing them up. I also read Poeitis increased their staff from 15 or so members to 25 this year. Maybe they will be able to increase it even more now. hopefully we can get an interview with Poeitis, would love to see where they stand.

mikes23

Reaction score
Well Poeitis is probably the closest to solving this behind Tsuji. And Tissue is right behind Poeitis, in my opinion. So by them signing a deal with BASF who is worth 57 billion we can almost assume they will never run into money trouble. We have seen money troubles supposedly hurt companies before in this field. Also BASF scientist will now be collaborating with Poeitis scientist. so you have just upped Poeitis staff and their income in solving this matter. BASF backed out of organovo for a reason, and choice Poeitis for a reason. like I said nothing ground breaking, but just reassures us that Poeitis will have the backing to succeed, and they are probably doing something right over their to get another big company to back them.

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well Poeitis is probably the closest to solving this behind Tsuji. And Tissue is right behind Poeitis, in my opinion. So by them signing a deal with BASF who is worth 57 billion we can almost assume they will never run into money trouble. We have seen money troubles supposedly hurt companies before in this field. Also BASF scientist will now be collaborating with Poeitis scientist. so you have just upped Poeitis staff and their income in solving this matter. BASF backed out of organovo for a reason, and choice Poeitis for a reason. like I said nothing ground breaking, but just reassures us that Poeitis will have the backing to succeed, and they are probably doing something right over their to get another big company to back them.
How is Poetis the closest to solving this beside Tsuji if they're not even researching anything about hair?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How is Poetis the closest to solving this beside Tsuji if they're not even researching anything about hair?
If i recall correctly they are trying to produce 3d printed skin/hair so that they can test out new products without having to use human participants in trials. This could speed up the time it takes to bring new products to the market, but also if successful then in the future its possible to transplant the 3d printed hair to our scalp

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If i recall correctly they are trying to produce 3d printed skin/hair so that they can test out new products without having to use human participants in trials. This could speed up the time it takes to bring new products to the market, but also if successful then in the future its possible to transplant the 3d printed hair to our scalp
Ahhh did not know that, I thought skin could already be cloned and used in trials?

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's great news! So from what I had read awhile back is that L'Oreal and Poeitis were looking to create a 3D bioprinted hair follicle that can go through complete hair cycles and function just as a normal follicle.

I believe L'Oreal had also partnered with Organovo to work on 3D printed skin to test cosmetic products much quicker and more efficiently essentially replacing animal testing which would also be excellent news. After all, who wants to keep getting sh*t on with mice studies?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score

As I suspected. Certainly, the more associated biological research and experimentation, the better. Eventually it will converge. Hopefully, I don't run out of lifetimes before it happens.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's great news! So from what I had read awhile back is that L'Oreal and Poeitis were looking to create a 3D bioprinted hair follicle that can go through complete hair cycles and function just as a normal follicle.

I believe L'Oreal had also partnered with Organovo to work on 3D printed skin to test cosmetic products much quicker and more efficiently essentially replacing animal testing which would also be excellent news. After all, who wants to keep getting sh*t on with mice studies?
Exactly, if the could produce biologically identical human hair and skin, the whole mice test may eventually be bypassed...for the most part.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1810075298.jpg