Baldness vs Attractiveness

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be so generic and vague, but I was wondering what are some people's views regarding how baldness impacts attractiveness. Obviously this is going to be a massively biased topic with only balding people contributing, but I just wanted to see what the general balding man's feelings are about how hair loss is affecting his appearance. It seems on here that a lot of people see three groups- non balding men, balding men, and totally bald men, as if they believe their appearance goes completely down the drain as soon as they notice a slight bit of hair loss. But yeah, anything from who suits baldness best, best adult hairline (norwood two imho) etc etc- dump it here!

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
vin diesel and david draiman look more attractive than me with my wig on.

does that mean NW5 baldness doesnt matter?

andre agassi looks better than me with his NW4 joined onto beard than my full head of hair hairpiece.

but yeah, in most cases, bald caucasians in early 20s-late 30s look sh*t most of the time, usually like joe satriani or michael stipe.

the problem is 80%(or whatever) of guys are just average looking, their hairline holds their facial features in place, as soon as it starts to go people look sh*t, i have seen NW3 average looking people look as crap as they would if they were bald.

most of the time, NW3 or NW4+ baldness fucks over average looking guys making them look wierd and crap, liek freaks simmilar to obese women or ugly women.

if your'e a pretty boy like billy corgan you can hold it together quite well and be average despite any level of baldness.

NW2 is irrelevant, there are 14 year old with NW2 hairlines, its fine.

its NW3 thats sh*t, NW4 is bald anyway might as well get rid of it all.

Heinrich

Reaction score
In rare cases, men with boyish features can benefit from hairloss in their 20s. When they are receding to about a 3 on the Norwood scale with thick hair on the rest of their heads, it might make them look more like a "real man" in a woman´s eye. A few days ago, some guy posted pictures of himself in another subforum with his new Norwood 2 and I thought that it really suited him. But as I said, these cases are rare and this doesn´t include the emotional problems for a man which come along with hair loss.

AoR

Reaction score
I believe that Norwood 2 and Norwood 3 hairlines can be totally fine if styled correctly, and have less than a 5% chance of affecting your appearance negatively. Personally I think the men who feel like their receding hairlines (at that stage) are held against them are just hurting themselves by tearing down their own confidence.

How you feel about yourself can definitely change the way you perceive other people's impressions of you. Ie a girl may stare at you and be thinking "gee he's kinda cute!" but if you are all wrapped up in insecurity over your hair you'll likely interpret it as "my god what's wrong with his hair!" I've definitely done that myself!

I think when baldness progresses to the Norwood 4 and beyond stages it undeniably can have a negative impact on one's appearance, but I still believe it's not as bad as balding men will make it out to be. Any girl with substance will not be deterred by it I'm sure.

And as for me personally, I'm a Norwood 3 and I still feel like the most attractive person in the room 90% of the time : ) and believe me it makes a big difference in my life.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Baldness fucks up your Attractivenes.. what is there more to say... even Vin Diesel would look much better with a hairline and shave than nw6 and shaved. :dunno:

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
yeah they put a hairline on vin diesel even in his early 40s for babylon A.D.

they officailly "fix" baldness in the media almost always, unless its a stupid character like willis being a retired hitman or whatever.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Would any of you guys consider SMP then? The only negative with SMP really is not having the right head shape for a shaved head. But if you're already bald, may as well give yourself a hairline?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You mean micro-pigmentation? Researched that. The concensus is it's fine for covering up strip scars but not for filling in horseshoes.... although it has been done, we have yet to see any long term results. Fact is that ALL tattoos bleed and discolor over time. It can't be avoided. Combine that with the fact that the top of our heads is the most exposed to the harsh sun and you can see where I'm heading with this.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
But to reply to the OP, it will probably knock you down a couple of points. Some more than others but male pattern baldness is never really considered a flattering look either way you cut it. Without a hairline to frame your face, the proportions can be grotesquely distorted.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
But to reply to the OP, it will probably knock you down a couple of points. Some more than others but male pattern baldness is never really considered a flattering look either way you cut it. Without a hairline to frame your face, the proportions can be grotesquely distorted.

Exactly why I'm considering SMP. I've kind of tried it out by using black eye pencil and smudging in a lower hairline, then pulling my actual hair back and covering it up with my hands and the effect of that hairline (you're right) is brilliant. I'm in a pretty good position now to get the procedure without people questioning my hairline (I've had it covered up since the age of 13) and they say as long as you look after it the worst you can really expect is for the colour to fade after a while, which is why most clinics offer free touch ups. HIS hair clinic now offer an SMP removal procedure which they have performed in London twice now with no problems. Very few actual recipients of the procedure regret it, and I haven't seen any cases of it really going bad (been around for 9 years- a good hairline for 9 years is good enough for me) where the client has used a professional SMP clinic.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
the tatoo does not solve hairloss

it never looks quite right up close (3d stuble effect)

if a girl goes to touch it she wont feel stuble hair, instead she will feel pure skin.

maybe you can do a tatoo and FUE transplant combo to get stuble look and feel.

nerdwood

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:

if a girl goes to touch it she wont feel stuble hair, instead she will feel pure skin.

If a girl goes to touch your wig, you would run a mile :thumbdown2:

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:

I've never had great hair in terms of thickness and density, and this is all behind a naturally high hairline. Nowhere respectable would perform a transplant on me at the age of 18, and by the time I'm 27 which is when there isn't really any question I could have lost much more hair and have insufficient donor hair for a decent result. A less dense version of my natural full head of hair would just really not look great.

I might opt for a transplant when I'm older but for now I think the micropigmentation would be great. My sisters boyfriend is in his mid 20s and he has shaved his head to around a 0.5 since he was 15 or so. If he got the micropigmentation on his slightly receded corners then I doubt anybody would notice it wasn't real hair.

Every solution offered for hair loss you can say 'does not solve hairloss' arguably. A transplant doesn't provide the original coverage you once had and means butchering up your head, propecia/ minoxidil mean a massive life long commitment and don't even lat forever, wigs are basically hats and micropimentation isn't real hair and doesn't grow. However they all do something to enhance your cosmetic appearance which is all hair is really good for any more.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
HairPieceMan said:

Also I still have a lot of hair, no thinning whatsoever just a high and horribly shaped hairline which needs to be covered constantly which is hard with thin curly hair. When somebody is running their hand across my head i doubt they're gonna focus on the hairline. And also, when my hair is only just visibly, you can barely feel that rough sandy texture you'd expect.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
stableforehead said:
HairPieceMan said:

Also I still have a lot of hair, no thinning whatsoever just a high and horribly shaped hairline which needs to be covered constantly which is hard with thin curly hair. When somebody is running their hand across my head i doubt they're gonna focus on the hairline. And also, when my hair is only just visibly, you can barely feel that rough sandy texture you'd expect.

Your going to use tattoo to lower your hairline but yet keep your hair grown out?! GLWT.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
stableforehead said:
HairPieceMan said:

Your going to use tattoo to lower your hairline but yet keep your hair grown out?! GLWT.

No absolutely not! I'm just saying the majority of my head will be real shaven hair so the SMP area would be minimal.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Exodus2011 said:
nerdwood said:
HairPieceMan said:

Neither does a hairpiece, man.
yep. definitely true haha. guess that's why all the ladies love enrique iglesias huh? that guy wears a hair piece

Even if he did wear, the question remains... do most of his women fans KNOW he is wearing? And if they did find out, would they still think of him as fondly?

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Even if he did wear, the question remains... do most of his women fans KNOW he is wearing? And if they did find out, would they still think of him as fondly?

Yes, because their opinion has already formed of him as a sex symbol. The question is, would "new" girls find him attractive given the knowledge he wears a hairpiece.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:

Nobody outside of here knows or believes he's wearing, but I think if the truth came out it would have a huge impact on his popularity. I'd say about half of his older fans would accept it but most of the younger ones would quickly forget about him as a hearthrob. He has pretty boy image and for that you need hair.
No matter how natural or good it looks once you know its a wig all you see is a wig.