baldness="torture"

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
amen. the interesting thing about this whole mess, is the societal perception of it. Most everyone not living with male pattern baldness, thinks male pattern baldness is no big deal (just aging right? ha look that guy is bald). because of this perception of it, guys experiencing it are expected to "not care" about it, we are supposed to be macho guys that don't get hurt by petty things like some thinning. But when it happens to YOU, its completely devastating, you feel like someone just diagnosed you with a terminal illness, and the b**ch of it is, you get no sympathy from anyone else. no one looks at a bald guy and thinks, man that guy must have went through some hard times in his life, and look, he pushed through it, he made it and look how well he is doing. what a courageous hero!!

in summary, male pattern baldness is a slow, and internal torture whose effects have to be masked, making it even harder to deal with. the only satisfaction and rewards you get from overcoming it mentally, are your own. we need a cure people!

Reaction score
I agree!! this is the worst kind of torture. In my case i think its only torture because i'm young (i could me wrong). But if i was in my 30s and started losing hair; i'd shave my head and be content but at 24???? this is HORRIBLE. :freaked2:

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's awful at any age. I'm 23 and I hang out with a friend that's 44. He has a full thick head of hair and looks great in part because of it. If I had thick great hair my whole life then went bald at 44, I'd still be devestated.

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
nah, cuz prob when ur 44 u'd odds are be settled down.........thats why it effects us younger people........i started losing at 18.........and the difference is that right now this is the least of the problems i should have compiled with the other problems everyone else faces.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If there was a cure for hairloss the world would be a better place!!!

A LOT less depressed people.. and my life wouldnt suck half as bad

Reaction score
Trent said:
amen. the interesting thing about this whole mess, is the societal perception of it. Most everyone not living with male pattern baldness, thinks male pattern baldness is no big deal (just aging right? ha look that guy is bald). because of this perception of it, guys experiencing it are expected to "not care" about it, we are supposed to be macho guys that don't get hurt by petty things like some thinning. But when it happens to YOU, its completely devastating, you feel like someone just diagnosed you with a terminal illness, and the b**ch of it is, you get no sympathy from anyone else. no one looks at a bald guy and thinks, man that guy must have went through some hard times in his life, and look, he pushed through it, he made it and look how well he is doing. what a courageous hero!!

in summary, male pattern baldness is a slow, and internal torture whose effects have to be masked, making it even harder to deal with. the only satisfaction and rewards you get from overcoming it mentally, are your own. we need a cure people!

Damn, that was good man. Summed it up pretty damn well to me.

circusrat

Reaction score
I see it as a problem because it just changes your body image.

You know you the way you are 'supposed' to look. This is how you are in your head and when anything at all starts to change for the worse, you'll freak.

Our hair helps define who we are, being forced into certain hairstyles and certain 'looks' because we don't have enough of it is aggravating, to say the least.

But - if I started to get fat... or get weird freckles on my face... or any number of things that changed the way I looked then i'd freak and want to change and reverse it. I think when i start to get wrinkles and look older i'll have a similar reaction as I do to my own hair loss.

Unfortunately, unlike body shape and condition, hairloss is something extremely difficult to fix and correct. If I got a pot belly i'd stop drinking so much and work out even more.. problem solved. These tools we have to fight hair loss are very hit and miss with their success.

Until I started being affected by it, though, i never noticed just how many men are affected by hair loss. Just look around you, at the gym, work, whatever. How many men over 25 DON'T suffer from at least some hair loss. I bet 80% at least have a higher hairline and somewhat receded temples.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score

but have you noticed something about all of us who have began a battle against hair loss, who search the internet for information and joining forums, who apply 2 times per day medicine on our heads and taking pills (and generally have become chemists!)? We are men who have decided to fight this thing. We actually belong to the 1% of the bald people. We are guys who take the situation in their hands and this is the only thing that makes me happy about the whole "baldness" thing: my reaction to it.

circusrat

Reaction score
Re: reply

thylax said:
but have you noticed something about all of us who have began a battle against hair loss, who search the internet for information and joining forums, who apply 2 times per day medicine on our heads and taking pills (and generally have become chemists!)? We are men who have decided to fight this thing. We actually belong to the 1% of the bald people. We are guys who take the situation in their hands and this is the only thing that makes me happy about the whole "baldness" thing: my reaction to it.

i actually don't think this is admirable. I think those who can easily accept it and not let it affect them are better off.

Frankly, i'm vain.

SadSad

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup this is honestly the worst thing i belive that could of ever happend to me my self esteem is down the crapper. I been going thin since like 15 my friend all have really cool hair styles I'm 21 and it's nasty how thin my head it looks like i have 20 hairs left on my head. ;( It's really sad and to know it's not gona get better hurts