Baldness Gene Identified in Russian Families

Jacob

Reaction score
THURSDAY, Nov. 9 (HealthDay News) -- A joint Russian-American research team has found a genetic mutation that causes an unusual kind of baldness. The discovery may offer a path toward preventing the more routine kind of hair loss, they say.

The gene was found in families in the Volga-Ural region of Russia, said study lead author Evgeny I. Rogaev, who has appointments at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and Moscow State University. Rogaev's title is professor of psychiatry, but he's known for his research on the genetics of common diseases.

The study looked at the genetics of families in which hair growth was abnormally slow in childhood, Rogaev said. "Then they suddenly lose hair and become bald," he said. "You see it in females as well as men. It also affects body hair -- there is almost no body hair in these people."

As reported in the Nov. 10 issue of Science, genetic screening turned up a mutation in a gene designated LIPH. "Very little was known about this gene, and what was known was not related to hair growth," Rogaev said. The gene produces lipase H, an enzyme that is believed to be involved in the regulation of lipids, or fats.

Why the mutation causes baldness is not yet clear, Rogaev said. "We have just identified its molecular pathways and have to work on it," he said. "The enzyme is expressed in hair follicles. The mutation somehow eliminates stem cells in the follicles."

The mutation's role in normal hair loss is also unclear. "We are certainly sure that this enzyme regulates hair growth, but how often this mutation itself is found in the general population we don't know," Rogaev said.

The familial pattern of baldness occurs only when an individual carries two mutated copies of the gene, Rogaev said, although it's possible that it might affect hair growth and loss in people carrying just one copy. The fact that inherited baldness was found in women as well as men of the affected families indicates that the gene plays an important role, he said.

While Rogaev said he doesn't "think this mutation is common," it's possible there are a number of variations of the gene that are found in the general population and may have differing effects on hair loss. "The polymorphisms of this gene are for future study, he said."

And a cure for baldness? Not impossible, Rogaev said. "I think one of the advances in this study is that it predicts very simple molecules might be used in the treatment of hair loss," he said.

Another expert agreed.

"It's too early to tell whether the gene plays a role in ordinary baldness," said Dr. George Cotsarelis, an associate professor of dermatology and director of the hair and scalp clinic at the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia.

"The gene itself is found in a small group of people," he noted. "Whether it is relevant to common baldness isn't clear." But the fact that the enzyme is produced by a gene found in normal hair follicles holds open the possibility that it might play a role in everyday baldness, Cotsarelis added.

"I view this as another piece of puzzle," he said. "It certainly is important for the families that have it, and to help us understand hair growth better. Whether it is applicable to normal hair loss just wasn't addressed in this paper."

More information

For more on hair loss, visit the American Academy of Dermatology (http://www.aad.org ).

SOURCES: Evgeny I. Rogaev, Ph.D., professor of psychiatry, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester; George Cotsarelis, M.D., associate professor, dermatology and director, hair and scalp clinic, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia; Nov. 10, 2006, Science

Copyright © 2006 ScoutNews LLC. All rights reserved.

http://www.healthscout.com/news/1/536000/main.html

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And a cure for baldness? Not impossible, Rogaev said. "I think one of the advances in this study is that it predicts very simple molecules might be used in the treatment of hair loss," he said.

That would be nice! I dream of the day that scientists make a MAJOR breakthrough, slap themselves on the forehead and say "Of course! That's what causes hair loss! How did we miss that!?"

=D

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
elguapo said:
I dream of the day that scientists make a MAJOR breakthrough, slap themselves on the forehead and say "Of course! That's what causes hair loss! How did we miss that!?"

That's what Stephen Foote thinks is going to happen any day now! :wink:

Bryan

docj077

Reaction score
You can't target this gene. The reason why is in a similar thread started by Michael Barry.

Jacob

Reaction score
What about this..anything to it?

"The enzyme is expressed in hair follicles. The mutation somehow eliminates stem cells in the follicles."

Abstract

The mechanism of hair growth has been clarifying itself by the improvement in the culture techniques for hair follicle cells. Recently stem cells inducing the anagen phase in the hair follicle cycle have been discovered in the bulge region of the outer root sheath (ORS). To find growth-promoting agents for the ORS cells, we evaluated the effect of various botanical extracts on the growth of cultured human hair follicles. We found that Laminaria angustata extract increased the ORS cell growth. Further, hair-growth in the shaved skin of C3H mice was also promoted by the topical application of the extract.

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/abst ... &s=&site=1

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
elguapo said:
I dream of the day that scientists make a MAJOR breakthrough, slap themselves on the forehead and say "Of course! That's what causes hair loss! How did we miss that!?"

That's what Stephen Foote thinks is going to happen any day now! :wink:

Bryan

Not "any day now" Bryan, but around one to two years based on the current feedback i am getting from "REAL" scientists :wink:

Or did you just think i propose my theory on hairloss forums to "experts" like you? :roll:

By the way Bryan i really like to see these regular sarcastic comments of yours, because i am saving them for the day they will all come back to haunt you, and they will! :wink:

S Foote.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
S Foote. said:
By the way Bryan i really like to see these regular sarcastic comments of yours, because i am saving them for the day they will all come back to haunt you, and they will! :wink:

Stephen, you're a funny guy! I'm amused by how DRIVEN you are, and by such a simple little theory which has been utterly dismantled by myself and others over the years. You're obsessed with it and now you're driven by a desire for revenge, much like Captain Ahab and the Phantom of the Opera. Your obsession is taking on literary proportions! :wink:

But if that's what gives you the energy to get up every morning and get through the day, more power to you. Whatever floats your boat.

Bryan

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
S Foote. said:

Stephen, you're a funny guy! I'm amused by how DRIVEN you are, and by such a simple little theory which has been utterly dismantled by myself and others over the years. You're obsessed with it and now you're driven by a desire for revenge, much like Captain Ahab and the Phantom of the Opera. Your obsession is taking on literary proportions! :wink:

But if that's what gives you the energy to get up every morning and get through the day, more power to you. Whatever floats your boat.

Bryan

Yet another clear example of your complete ignorance of "real life" Bryan! :roll:

You have got used to an existence on internet sites as a self elected "expert" in matters relating to male pattern baldness. By your use of old studies that you percieve as "safe", you use psuedo scientific terminology to try to get vunerable people to think you know what you are talking about! :roll:

If you are questioned, you always run to your "safe" position of saying "scientists will figure it out one day"!! :roll:

You have nothing at all to contribute to progress in understanding male pattern baldness Bryan, and your only motive in spending all your time in these forums, is to try to get some kind of personal "status" in cyber space, that you can't get in real life. 8)

You have no idea what is currently going on in the "real" scientific world Bryan, i have given you clues to this in previous posts but it all just passed you by as usual :roll:

I will add your latest rant here to your previous uneducated sarcasm, that will one day prove to everyone what a sham you really are! :wink:

S Foote.

Jacob

Reaction score
What about this..anything to it?

"The enzyme is expressed in hair follicles. The mutation somehow eliminates stem cells in the follicles."

Abstract

The mechanism of hair growth has been clarifying itself by the improvement in the culture techniques for hair follicle cells. Recently stem cells inducing the anagen phase in the hair follicle cycle have been discovered in the bulge region of the outer root sheath (ORS). To find growth-promoting agents for the ORS cells, we evaluated the effect of various botanical extracts on the growth of cultured human hair follicles. We found that Laminaria angustata extract increased the ORS cell growth. Further, hair-growth in the shaved skin of C3H mice was also promoted by the topical application of the extract.

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/abst ... &s=&site=1

Jacob

Reaction score
The link is just the source for that abstract. I guess it's not on there anymore.