Balding when your father has hair.

Nene

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a question. How many of you have fathers with all their hair? I have a theory that part of the reason I'm taking male pattern baldness so hard is b/c my father has all his hair. I mean ALL of it, we're talking dense norwood 1 and still black too, and the man is damn near 60! If that wasn't crazy enough for you, HIS FATHER has all his hair and he's got to be pushing 80 at this point! Growing up I never knew I was going to be bald because I just assumed I'd be like my father, his father and his brother who all have hair. I never knew my mother's father or saw a picture, and she doesn't have brothers, so when my hairline started receding I had to investigate. According to my mom he was Norwood 5ish. So I took it so hard because this was not something I was prepared for, I thought it was just impossible I could bald as a child. And now I'm 25 and headed toward a norwood 3, and my father has more hair than I do. It just makes me feel even more ashamed. Do any of you guys have father's with amazing heads of hair also? How does it affect you?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yeah, my dad still has all his hair. He can't relate nor understand the suffering that hair loss has caused me and is unsympathetic as a result.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its not that uncommon m.p.b can come from anywhere in your family history.

Reaction score
I got the same problem you do. My dad's nearly 60 WITH no gray hairs and his dad has a full head of hair as well.

Damn I thought I was gonna be okay too until I started seeing a damn receding hairline

DAMNIT!!!!!!

Nene

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Yeah, my dad still has all his hair. He can't relate nor understand the suffering that hair loss has caused me and is unsympathetic as a result.

My father is at least sympathetic. He admits it would probably bother him if he lost his hair but encourages me to be confident and move on. I'm glad he didn't have to go through this, as I wish it on no one. I just wish I would've known I was at risk for going bald when I was younger so I wouldn't have been so shocked. Oh well, with the right hair style and/or a little toppik my hair still looks almost perfect, just gotta enjoy these next few years.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty screwed, grandfather on my mom's side went totally bald at 30, and all 4 of my uncles on dad's side are bald in their 50's. around thanksgiving the whole family was watching football and this really bad hairloss commercial came on where it was like "going bald? you don't have to!" it was pretty awkward to be in the room at that point.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
There's only a small handful of bald guys on this site. Nearly the rest of you pass for having a full head of hair but talk as if you are nw5s.

philosoraptor

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
There's only a small handful of bald guys on this site. Nearly the rest of you pass for having a full head of hair but talk as if you are nw5s.
I was under the impression this site was for anyone experiencing any type of hair loss at any stage. Even for those not experiencing hair loss but concerned about it.

Stop being an elitist prick and stop pretending like your problems are more significant than anyone else. It's getting tired man.

To contribute, the only man in my entire family with hair loss is my father. Granted I never knew my paternal grandfather and neither did my father. At the same time I look absolutely nothing like my father not that that really matters.

s.a.f

Reaction score
philosoraptor said:
uncomfortable man said:
I was under the impression this site was for anyone experiencing any type of hair loss at any stage. Even for those not experiencing hair loss but concerned about it.

Stop being an elitist prick and stop pretending like your problems are more significant than anyone else. It's getting tired man.

But his problems ARE more significant! If he had the hair of the average guy on here he would be jumping for joy.

This forum is for everyone, but guys who's hairloss is detectable to themselves only describing themselves as bald when the rest of the world see a normal head of hair, dont you think that gets tired to a REAL bald man? (ie NW5/6/7).

Nene

Reaction score
I don't mean to undermine anyone's problems or claim that I have it just as hard as a more advanced Norwood. I realize that the most people wouldn't consider me bald yet, but I do have some noticeable hair loss and it's bothering me. I just want to chat about it with people who have experienced it also.

Winter

Reaction score
OT : my dad is the ONLY ONE in my entire family suffering from hairloss, i mean ONLY one. I'm just hoping I inherited atleast some kind of mix between his and the rest of my familys hair genes so I dont have to go as far as my dad has on the norwood scale. If I am balding, which i'm not sure I am, that is.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't have this problem for better or for worse.

Almost every male on both sides of my family apparently ends up NW4 or worse. I've got 1 uncle on my mom's side with Bill Clinton hair, but that's it.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thats possible, I remember as a kid my dad having a full head of grey hair in his 30's, looking back at old photos he actually looks fantastic with it and continues to have no loss of density anywhere else on his head. As far as I know he started going grey when he was about 26-28, I bet that was hard for him at first, he did what loads of us try to do (ie. stay in shape, try and earn good money, do lots of things to 'make up' for it) and got away with it.

Theres no question whatsoever I'd rather go grey young with a full head of hair than this diffused thinning crap I have to deal with now, hell I'd settle for a solid grey hairline.

I agree with those above who say that serious cases of male pattern baldness shouldnt be viewed in the same light as those who think they are balding, well they should at least be treated with more sympathy.

This time of year is very hard, for me its been murder, been dreading it for ages, seeing people for the first time in 6 months+ with new year to come, hairloss is virtually always the first thing they mention after 'youre looking well, nice haircut, chuckle chuckle'.
:puke:

Krispin

Banned
Reaction score
Only one way to guarantee a full head of hair: Ronald Reagan genes. My dad is a Norwood 4.5/5 at 58 and I am a Norwood 4 at 24. Urgh.

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not that uncommon m.p.b can come from anywhere in your family history.
Even from multiple generations back?
Neither my father, my grandfathers from both my mom and dad weren't even close to balding and were Norwood 1 - 1.5 until they died.

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
neither were mine, yet here i am, pushing nw3 difuse at 25, while my father only started to bald at 65, what the f***
Fuuck...
About one year ago, I started seeing recession around the temples and thinning on top, I was in denial (no bald spots on the crown, though). I put it down to my chronic stress and anxiety and thought it will go away.
I didn't have male pattern baldness in my family, so it didn't even occur to me this can happen to me.