Balding teen? Input wanted please.

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, TIA for people who respond to my post. I'm seventeen and you can see my scalp through my hair. My maternal grandfather has a full head of hair and the same for the rest of them. My father was bald by 25 and his half brother went bald early as well. My paternal grandfather is balding but he is 70. I have always had a widows peak, and my hairline hasn't moved since the 8th grade (I can tell by the mole on my hairline). I am just curious on why can you see my scalp. Is this balding. Many barbers have told me I have super straight hair, is this why you can see my scalp? You can see my scalp on the sides of my head too. The last picture is me in the 4th or 5th grade. I had a widows peak then as well.

Thanks.
20210603_132742.jpg
20210603_132630.jpg
20210603_132600.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-131346_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210603-131333_Video Player.jpg
20210603_131907.jpg

Last edited:

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be a mature hairline. Father bald by 25 is very aggressive, there is treatment called finasteride but you are too young to use it. Keep an eye on it for now. As for the crown, it looks like a whorl pattern. I'm not a doctor though, you could ask a dermatologist for advice.

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
It could be a mature hairline. Father bald by 25 is very aggressive, there is treatment called finasteride but you are too young to use it. Keep an eye on it for now. As for the crown, it looks like a whorl pattern. I'm not a doctor though, you could ask a dermatologist for advice.
What about being able to see my scalp? I dont know if drugs can cause hair loss but my father didn't live a very healthy lifestyle.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
What about being able to see my scalp? I dont know if drugs can cause hair loss but my father didn't live a very healthy lifestyle.
Healthy lifestyle can have an impact a little but it ultimately comes down to genetics and how your hair responds to androgens. It sucks. I do see what might be some thinning in the second picture?

Reciprocity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A very pronounced widows peak and some very shady thinning right behind the frontal hairline (not in the back though meaning meaning that what you have in the front doesn't just so happen to be thin naturally)? I think I'll have to go with a "Yes" on this one.

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
A very pronounced widows peak and some very shady thinning right behind the frontal hairline (not in the back though meaning meaning that what you have in the front doesn't just so happen to be thin naturally)? I think I'll have to go with a "Yes" on this one.
I can also see my scalp on the sides and back of my head as well. The photos of my crown is bad lighting I believe.

Reciprocity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your sides are immune to androgenetic hairloss meaning what density you have there is your actual natural one. What I'm talking about here is this. This is rather glaring. This shouldn't be see-through when the rest of your hair isn't.

Attachments

• 20210603_132600.jpg
    20210603_132600.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your sides are immune to androgenetic hairloss meaning what density you have there is your actual natural one. What I'm talking about here is this. This is rather glaring. This shouldn't be see-through when the rest of your hair isn't.
Thank you.

jantiloopez

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right, your hair is straight too and makes it easier to see scalp, but it could be early signs of thinning.

From the picture, it looks like you already have facial hair, which obviously is a sign of the presence of DHT. You look quite built for a 17 year old too. I'm not saying one can't build muscle with low testosterone, because you can, but from the looks of it seems likely it's hormonal related. From the before and after pictures, even though "you had the same hairline", your temples seem to have receded from since you were a kid

If you're worried, start early incorporating some hair-growth agents, should help neglect the thinning.
Doesn't need to be advanced stuff. You could try Nizoral shampoo as a staple, maybe a custom one that doesn't make your hair too frizzy.
Something basic like Pumpkin seed oil as a carrier with essential oils will help too, with little to no side effects

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right, your hair is straight too and makes it easier to see scalp, but it could be early signs of thinning.

From the picture, it looks like you already have facial hair, which obviously is a sign of the presence of DHT. You look quite built for a 17 year old too. I'm not saying one can't build muscle with low testosterone, because you can, but from the looks of it seems likely it's hormonal related. From the before and after pictures, even though "you had the same hairline", your temples seem to have receded from since you were a kid

If you're worried, start early incorporating some hair-growth agents, should help neglect the thinning.
Doesn't need to be advanced stuff. You could try Nizoral shampoo as a staple, maybe a custom one that doesn't make your hair too frizzy.
Something basic like Pumpkin seed oil as a carrier with essential oils will help too, with little to no side effects
Thank you Janet for the suggestion, I will check right into those products.

P.S. I do work out a little.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Janet for the suggestion, I will check right into those products.

P.S. I do work out a little.
If you do feel like your hair is thinning then check with a dermatologist. The first sign where I felt like I was going bald was losing more than usual hairs in the shower. You are doing the right thing and taking pictures early which I never did unfortunately. Compare these photos to more a couple months later. If you see clear thinning anywhere then it's time to check with a dermatologist

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks 100% normal. When you have straight, fine hair this is to be expected. Unless you got lucky and your density is off the charts, there is always going to be some scalp visibility that wouldn’t be there if you had thicker hair and identical density..

For this reason, it is trickier to spot thinning with this hair composition than it is for any other. Right now, I don’t see anything outside the realm of normalcy here and therefore don't think you are thinning at this point. If you’re worried you can either take identical photos every 3 months and see if there are noticeable changes or go see a dermatologist.

In case you need clarification on the terminology - fine hair/thick hair are terms referring to the diameter of individual hair strands, while density refers to the number of strands found in any given area.

Last edited:

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do feel like your hair is thinning then check with a dermatologist. The first sign where I felt like I was going bald was losing more than usual hairs in the shower. You are doing the right thing and taking pictures early which I never did unfortunately. Compare these photos to more a couple months later. If you see clear thinning anywhere then it's time to check with a dermatologist
Thank you for the advice and I will follow up on that.

Kandykane2004

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks 100% normal. When you have straight, fine hair this is to be expected. Unless you got lucky and your density is off the charts, there is always going to be some scalp visibility that wouldn’t be there if you had thicker hair and identical density..

For this reason, it is trickier to spot thinning with this hair composition than it is for any other. Right now, I don’t see anything outside the realm of normalcy here and therefore don't think you are thinning at this point. If you’re worried you can either take identical photos every 3 months and see if there are noticeable changes or go see a dermatologist.

In case you need clarification on the terminology - fine hair/thick hair are terms referring to the diameter of individual hair strands, while density refers to the number of strands found in any given area.
Thank you for the advice and i will follow up on that. I am still going to look into particular products for hair growth and density. Any suggestions?

jonas.hx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and Minoxidil is my suggestion if you are really worried. But Finasteride would probably be completely sufficient for the next few years. I am also 17 with quite extreme diffuse thinning and a NW2 so you have a very very good status at the moment.
Good luck!

jazz1

Reaction score
That does look like male pattern baldness, you using anything yet or seen a dermatologist?