Balding spot on the right

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to repeat myself. I'm just having trouble understanding how the visible balding spot (which is one the immediate right of my part) could have popped up so quickly. A few weeks ago, I know it wasn't there. At least, not to the point that it was visible when dry, which it is most of the time now. As I said, I'm in my 10th month on finasteride, and getting very nervous that I'm not a responder. Some have talked about late-term finasteride sheds, but I just don't know. My shedding has decreased by half in the last two months. (150+ to between 50 and 70)

There's also a nagging concern if this is a result of me cutting back minoxidil (started May '03) from twice to once a day about five months ago. I hadn't thought minoxidil had been doing anything, but was afraid to stop. I switched to once a day because I also started putting it on my right temple, and just didn't want to use the stuff up twice as fast.

If you look at this guy

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=15481

Imagine his kind of thinning vertex, only seen under bright light (which I don't think he is), and with a trasnparent patch on the right of the part. (Like someone took a bite out of it.) That's basically me.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
yep.. sucks doesn't it. I just got a shortish haircut and I look the same. It's like full thick coverage everywhere with a very small thinner patch at the top (where the swirl is). It's very odd when you consider that all the surrounding hair is so thick.

I would have never noticed if it wasnt for my phone camera... Just got to deal with it I guess.

By the way, these are the kinds of spots that get covered quite well if you let your hair grow a bit longer.

Good Luck!

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Yer right.....
Problem is, mine's already pretty long. (four inches). Basically like the guy in that link. It's probably been hiding things for quite some time, long before I was aware of any male pattern baldness.

I'm just praying that the very sudden appearance of that spot means it's a late finasteride shed. (which is usually positive, right?) The hair's always thin, but that spot was never that stubborn before.

As for your "swirl"--are you 100% positive you have male pattern baldness? Right at the swirl, a lot of non-balding people have a bit of scalp showing.
Some more than others, but it's basically expected. The ones who have nothing showing, I imagine, are the unusually thick people. (Like a female friend of mine. She's got a friggin' jungle on her head.)

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
hairschmair---

Well, dang.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's what I look like right now.

You probably look like this: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hadn't even looked at your name. Just a saw the pics and zoned out.