Balding Since Early 20's, Any Advice Welcome...

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, i havent posted on here much or for over a year, but the last time i did i got some great advice from some members, in particular a guy named goldenmane, that guy knows his stuff! ive been losing my hair for around six years, tried loads of stuff, some good, some not so good. but for this last year ive been using minoxidil (which ive been using for years by the way) and taking propecia and it has really made some big improvements. but i stopped taking propecia about a month and half ago due the standard side effects and overall never getting comfortable taking the drug. the hair loss has resumed with a vengeance! anyway, i know the writing is on the wall now and that shaving my head is right around the corner, but ive had long hair for about 20 years and its not an easy step to take... hair loss has straight up ruined my life! embarrassing to admit, but its true. are there any other low risk treatments that i could try before i give up for good and accept it?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks again.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man, didn't think...

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 571

pizzamanluigi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long did you take finasteride? You stopped because of side effects or because you didnt feel comfortable with the drug?

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took it for just over a year and weaned myself off over just a month. Yeh, I got side effects, nothing too serious... absolutely zero morning wood! Low sex drive yadda yadda yadda... but mainly just that I couldn't get comfortable taking it and reading about all the negative experiences others were having... just made me too paranoid!

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I should just add that I'm not calling the drug or anything by the way. It works for loads of people, m included in terms of hair maintenance/regrowth... just that I personally don't think that I'm a good candidate for it is all.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 29, been battling this sh*t for the last six years! My hair used to be much worse than in these pictures and to be fair, these were taken about three months ago when I was still on propecia, I've been off it now for over a month and my hairline has definitely started to go... I look like Frankenstein from the left hand side! My crown is getting wrecked too!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s a very personal decision. If it were me, I would continue taking it unless the sides were more serious. But you’ve obviously considered it and weighed up your options. I hope that this is your decision, and your decision alone. Without an anti androgen, nature will take its course unfortunately...

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't really know what I'm doing if I'm honest? Obviously I don't walk around with my hair the way it is these photos, I cover it up as best I can and use hair fibres to fill in the worst parts, so the fact that I still have to do all of that every time I wanna leave the house tells me that I'm still not happy with the way it looks. Then, on the other hand, I know that it looks much better today than it did 1-2 years ago, so I just don't know? I know the thought of 'once its gone, its gone' scares me cause I just know I'm gonna hate it and there won't be any going back and covering it up then. I know the sides I was getting are fairly common and I know some of it could be in my head, though not all of it, but I just hate taking the risk... Oh f***! Who knows?! I'm rambling...

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my opinion you should stick with finasteride until you’re sure you want to quit. If you’re still in two minds then don’t quit yet, you can quit at any time. But when you do, it’s permanent so wait until you’re certain.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude it only looks like your crown is a bit patchy. Your hairline looks thick and solid - no receding at all.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To golden mane: thanks again for the advice, but i just don't know if I could start up again. It's only been a month or so since I stopped, but when I did, I thought it was for good, might be hard to go back on it now, you know? Also, things that had deserted me whilst in propecia have returned! Morning erections, spontaneous erections etc. I'm trying to come to terms with it, but I guess I was thinking if there was one last thing I could try with minimal risk I'd still do it. But it doesn't sound like it! Ha ha!

To Ollie: thanks man, my hairline has definitely taking a hit these last few months though, I'll try and take a better more up to date photo just to show you what I mean. And patchy?? Ha ha! Man, up close and in the flesh, it looks a lot worse, I can assure you! Bane of my f*****g life this, I swear! Plus, that ain't my 'real' hair don't forget... that's propecia hair! Ha ha! No more propecia, no more hair...

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've uploaded some photos I took today, sorry the picture quality isn't great, I don't have anyone to take them for me, but I think you'll be able to see what I'm talking about... my hairline is getting worse and that's just being off propecia for a month or so. I knew what was coming when I stopped, just didn't expect things to go south so quickly...

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 396

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, lets say I was to go back on propecia... would it matter that I'd been off of it for over a month? Messing with hormones? Would I go through the dreaded shedding phase again? Etc? Also, I use Kirkland minoxidil, the liquid kind... in your guys opinion, is Kirkland minoxidil a decent brand and which is better, the foam or the solution? And finally, I use a caffeine based shampoo, usually alpecin if I can get hold of it, should I really be looking to add Nizoral to my routine and does it make much of a difference?

Thanks again, James.

James227

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah man, it doesn't make me feel better! 17? That is rough! You just having trouble with your hairline? Are you planning to do something about it or just let nature take its corse and move on?

I wish I had been able to do the latter years ago, it has got me so down that my mood has put strain on my relationships etc... feels great to know how much of a kill joy you are!

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I only have issues with hairline. I still have lots of hair so I can sort of cover it up. I'm planning on starting finasteride soon.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@James227

You have the baldness in a good spot, because your hair can cover it up. Also, products are
all tested in the vertex, as far as androgen alopecia in males.

Have you ever thought about using topical Finasteride combined with Minoxidil, to combat side
effects.

Although I personally don't get side effects from Finasteride, some people and studies believe it's safer
(Hasson and Wong, never tried their formula myself though).

There was a study in India using .1% topical (equal to one milligram Finasteride, used by weight).

They did have success treating men who had side effects. It is published as well.