Balding at 19 with juvenile hairline intact

Brutus

Reaction score
I've been shedding for a long time now and I finally saw a dermatologist last week. She told me that I have both chronic Telogen Effluvium and a slight case of male pattern baldness. She said that the male pattern baldness didn't appear to be aggressive and assured me that it was only visible because of the Telogen Effluvium. She offered to give me a prescription for finasteride. She also gave me a blood test to check for other health issues since the Telogen Effluvium was so severe.

From my personal experience, I think I have honestly been losing tiny amounts of hair every since I started puberty. From ages 11 to 13 I had ridiculously full, thick hair. Around age 13 I notice some increased shedding along with a tiny bit of miniaturization at the hairline. Within a month, the loss stabilized completely and I didn't even think about hair for the next few years. Ever since the shedding at age 13, my hair has been kind of thin on top.

My family history of baldness isn't too bad, but every male in the family has it to some degree. My father and maternal grandfather both have the same slowly receding hairline and slow loss on the vertex. It is worth noting that one relative did have aggressive male pattern baldness. He was also my mom's mom's mom's dad, so my female relatives could have carried the gene to me without any of the children showing it, since I only have one uncle on that side of the family.

I'm not totally sure if taking meds is going to be worth it for me. My main worry is that inhibiting dht at 19 will cause my face to become less masculine and will cause low t or gyno. I filled the prescription for generic finasteride and am currently taking .25mg every day. Will post pics if I begin to see regrowth. Will this regimen help me at least to maintain?

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
Just get on the 1mg. If you tolerate it. I wish I could go back in time and start finasteride right when I started noticing my male pattern baldness. You're only 19 so if it's happening now it may happen. That's when I started and at 23 I'm a nw3, hating my life.