Bald scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia retains hair fo

thinninghairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
OK guys this thread is getting massive with studys...

Can anyone break it down into a quick 4 line summary as to what we are hoping to achieve ?

AC-11 ... Are we buying this and rubbing it on scalp ? taking it internally ?

or both ?

I have a feeling someone somwhere before has probably tried this with no success. I mean how come this news comes out and all of a sudden people are talking about ac-11 when the ingredients have been around for ages ?

How come no one has tried this before ?

im hoping for a miricle cure in a herbal extract like all of you. But they never seem to work

edit: sounds like im being a kill joy but im not , i just dont want to get hopes up. fingers crossed as always

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
All this.. cannot really explain the male pattern baldness pattern.. the horseshoe and sh*t.. Even if we tried a lot of products and added more sh*t in our bloostream.. we still have not much results... Progenitor cell cannot be activated.. but what is the reason? I think Stephen Hairloss theory answer that.. Blame the Lymphatic system..Edema and inflammation..

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17571&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The Hydraulic Influence in Androgen Related Hair Growth. Implications in Autoimmune Disease
Author: S.I. Foote

http://www.hairsite2.com/library/abst-167.htm

Jacob

Reaction score
Maybe it doesn't explain the pattern..but still could be a way to fix things? :dunno:

thinninghairsucks...I took AC-11 internally and used the Rephair shampoo/spray/sorta-a-topical(it gets washed out) for quite some time. It's one of those things I kind of wish I'd stuck with even longer(the prices didn't help)..and I wish the AC-11 could be added to an Elsom topical or something. It's hard to say what it did for me since, as I am now, was using quite a few other things.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

CCS

Reaction score
Just because something releases more stem cells does not mean it is good. What if the reason the stem cells come out is because damage is being done, which they need to fix? I would read the research more carefully before sleeping in a high pressure tank. The study used 2 atm, not 1.3. If you were to depressurize too fast, you'd bleed out your eyes and ears.

Some people apply retinoic acid to their scalp because it reduces the number of androgen receptors. I wonder if it just reduces their number, or if it has an androgenic effect, which the scalp adapts to by reducing the number of androgen receptors.

Did you know when you take finasteride, the number of andrgon receptors increases? This is your body's way of responding to having fewer androgens floating around. However, the increase does not make up for the decrease in DHT, so you still get a net good effect.

Dr Proctor uses stuff that grew hair on mice. My objection is that not everything that increases body hair growth will also increase head hair growth. One of his ingredients has a side effect of acne in some people.

Putting IGF1 into your hair follicles sounds good, but it is a very big protein, so I doubt it would get into the scalp. It is about 100 amino acids.

CCS

Reaction score
mann02 said:
So vitamin d3 can replace propecia?nice thank you...

It is one of many chemicals on a list that might help with an aspect of balding. The magnitude is not stated. I would take the sun shine vitamin anyway for other reasons.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Just giving this a bump in case anyone has tried anything listed here, or has placed an order

Jacob

Reaction score
I've been taking that Gold 360..at least I think it was here I mentioned it. And PQQ.

Jacob

Reaction score
A good site on PQQ for those interested..with a few testimonials:

http://pyrroloquinoline-quinone.com/pqq-info/supplement/

http://pyrroloquinoline-quinone.com/pqq-info/pqq-testimonials-reviews/

http://pyrroloquinoline-quinone.com/pqq-info/pqq-dosage-pyrroloquinoline-quinone-pills/

This isn't a miracle product...if one is in such great health you're probably not going to notice anything(might as well forget about taking anything then). Check to see if someone has actually talked about trying it if giving a "testimonial".. :wave:

DarkDays

Reaction score
What if, and this is only a wild swing, the reason why it is harder to get hair back that has been lost longer, and despite treatment, is because of atherosclerosis.

Remember that there are studies showing that those who have pattern baldness(as I think this applies to both genders in more ways than most suspect) are more likely to have various issues with their vascular system, and the head, the infamous horseshoe area, is mostly small capillaries and no larger veins. This in turn gives the follicles less materials to work with(oxygen and nutrients) which then causes DNA damage in the follicle.

Dihydrotestosterone suppresses foam cell formation and attenuates atherosclerosis development.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20427482

Now remember, Minoxidil is a vasodilator so it might actually be taking those veins filled with gunk and making them wider giving the follicle both more blood.

This might explain why wounding works for some as the wound healing initiates angiogenesis that creates new capillaries.

I at least would say that this explains why some people who have been bald for a very long time and then lose all DHT can't grow back their hair completely, as the capillaries are just basically not managing to get enough crap into the follicle, plus the DHT has already damaged the veins.

I know that some will say "but if I cut my hair my scalp bleeds so there is blood there, your theory doesn't hold up!"

Now take into account that it is a question of how much the blood is actually delivering and whether it is managing to get enough to the scalp. There is definitely blood there, but what it is managing to deliver is also of essence and whether it is getting crap out at the same time.

Edit

I also wanted to add that atherosclerosis might explain why finasteride and such lose efficiacy over time as the placque continues to form despite the big 3.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Biomarkers of Vascular Disease Linking Inflammation to Endothelial Activation
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content ... 08/17/2041

Conclusion

Atherosclerosis is no longer considered a pure lipid disorder. It has become increasingly clear that inflammation is at the root of atherosclerosis and its complications. In addition to playing a causal role in lesion formation, inflammation can yield predictive and prognostic information of considerable clinical utility. A number of mechanisms and mediators of inflammation have been identified, of which high-sensitivity CRP has emerged as one of the most important. In addition to serving as biomarkers of atherosclerotic events, inflammatory mediators directly participate in lesion formation, propagation, and eventual rupture and in this fashion may represent a powerful tool to assess endothelial cell activation. Clearly, understanding the mechanisms and mediators of endothelial dysregulation and inflammation may yield new targets to predict, prevent, and treat cardiovascular disease.

Role of Inflammation
and Insulin Resistance in Endothelial Progenitor Cell Dysfunction
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/740383

C-reactive protein attenuates endothelial progenitor cell survival, differentiation, and function: further evidence of a mechanistic link between C-reactive protein and cardiovascular disease.
Verma S, Kuliszewski MA, Li SH, Szmitko PE, Zucco L, Wang CH, Badiwala MV, Mickle DA, Weisel RD, Fedak PW, Stewart DJ, Kutryk MJ.
Source

Division of Cardiac Surgery, Toronto General Hospital, 14EN-215, 200 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4. subodh.verma@sympatico.ca
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Myocardial ischemia provides a potent stimulus to angiogenesis, and the mobilization and differentiation of endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) has been shown to be important in this process. An elevated level of C-reactive protein (CRP) has emerged as one of the most powerful predictors of cardiovascular disease. However, the impact of CRP on EPC biology is unknown.
METHODS AND RESULTS:

EPCs were isolated from the peripheral venous blood of healthy male volunteers. Cells were cultured in endothelial cell basal medium-2 in the absence and presence of CRP (5 to 20 microg/mL), rosiglitazone (1 micromol/L), and/or vascular endothelial growth factor. EPC differentiation, survival, and function were assayed. CRP at concentrations > or =15 microg/mL significantly reduced EPC cell number, inhibited the expression of the endothelial cell-specific markers Tie-2, EC-lectin, and VE-cadherin, significantly increased EPC apoptosis, and impaired EPC-induced angiogenesis. EPC-induced angiogenesis was dependent on the presence of nitric oxide, and CRP treatment caused a decrease in endothelial nitric oxide synthase mRNA expression by EPCs. However, all of these detrimental CRP-mediated effects on EPCs were attenuated by pretreatment with rosiglitazone, a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARgamma) agonist.
CONCLUSIONS:

Human recombinant CRP, at concentrations known to predict adverse vascular outcomes, directly inhibits EPC differentiation, survival, and function, key components of angiogenesis and the response to chronic ischemia. This occurs in part via an effect of CRP to reduce EPC eNOS expression. The PPARgamma agonist rosiglitazone inhibits the negative effects of CRP on EPC biology. The ability of CRP to inhibit EPC differentiation and survival may represent an important mechanism that further links inflammation to cardiovascular disease.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
DarkDays said:
Dihydrotestosterone suppresses foam cell formation and attenuates atherosclerosis development.

If that's as true in humans as it appears to be in rabbits, then I strongly urge everybody to take relatively small, regular doses of vitamin C throughout the day, as one easy way to help inhibit the formation of atherosclerosis (vitamin C fights the oxidation of LDL particles). If the study above is correct, this may be even _more_ important for people who suppress their DHT levels with drugs like finasteride or dutasteride.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
DarkDays said:
What if, and this is only a wild swing, the reason why it is harder to get hair back that has been lost longer, and despite treatment, is because of atherosclerosis.

Remember that there are studies showing that those who have pattern baldness(as I think this applies to both genders in more ways than most suspect) are more likely to have various issues with their vascular system, and the head, the infamous horseshoe area, is mostly small capillaries and no larger veins. This in turn gives the follicles less materials to work with(oxygen and nutrients) which then causes DNA damage in the follicle.

Now remember, Minoxidil is a vasodilator so it might actually be taking those veins filled with gunk and making them wider giving the follicle both more blood.

This might explain why wounding works for some as the wound healing initiates angiogenesis that creates new capillaries.

I at least would say that this explains why some people who have been bald for a very long time and then lose all DHT can't grow back their hair completely, as the capillaries are just basically not managing to get enough crap into the follicle, plus the DHT has already damaged the veins.

I know that some will say "but if I cut my hair my scalp bleeds so there is blood there, your theory doesn't hold up!"

Now take into account that it is a question of how much the blood is actually delivering and whether it is managing to get enough to the scalp. There is definitely blood there, but what it is managing to deliver is also of essence and whether it is getting crap out at the same time.

Edit

I also wanted to add that atherosclerosis might explain why finasteride and such lose efficiacy over time as the placque continues to form despite the big 3.

Bad ***! Keep them coming DarkDays! Hairloss is just part of an endothelial dysfunction.I knew it!!!

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DarkDays said:

Edit

What could be done to protect the capillaries? Vit C as Bryan mentions. Anything else?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
DarkDays said:

Edit

What could be done to protect the capillaries? Vit C as Bryan mentions. Anything else?

Vitamin c + L-Lysine/L-Proline keep an healthy profile of Lipoprotein A.

They are others factors that can cause the problem

Elevated LDL cholesterol as explained
Low HDL cholesterol
Elevated Tryglycerides
Oxidized LDL
Hypertension
Elevated C-Protein
Elevated Lipoprotein A
Omega 3-6 imbalance
Elevated Glucose
Excess insulin
Elevated Homocycteine
Elevated Fibrinogen....................

This is why hairloss is a pain in the arse to cure. But one of the biggest factor is inflammation.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
DarkDays said:

Edit

Here is another good study:
Dihydrotestosterone Decreases Tumor Necrosis Factor-
and Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Inflammatory Response
in Human Endothelial Cells

Dihydrotestosterone Decreases Tumor Necrosis Factor-{alpha} and Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Inflammatory Response in Human Endothelial Cells
Giuseppe Danilo Norata, Gianpaolo Tibolla, Paul Maria Seccomandi, Angelo Poletti and Alberico Luigi Catapano

Department of Pharmacological Sciences (G.D.N., G.T., P.M.S., A.L.C.) and Institute of Endocrinology (A.P.), Centre of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, 20133 Milan, Italy; and Center for the Prevention and Therapy of Global Cardiovascular Risk (G.D.N., A.L.C.), Italian Society for the Study of Atherosclerosis, Bassini Hospital, 20092 Cinisello Balsamo, Italy

Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Giuseppe Danilo Norata, Ph.D., Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milan, Italy. E-mail: Danilo.Norata@unimi.it.

Context: An increasing body of evidence suggests that testosterone may exert beneficial effects on the development of atherosclerosis. It was suggested that testosterone may act after conversion into estradiol and activation of the estrogen receptors; however, a direct role of androgens on the vascular wall has been proposed.

Objective: We investigated the effects of dihydrotestosterone on the proinflammatory response observed in human endothelial cells.

Design: Human endothelial cells isolated from umbilical cords were incubated with lipopolysaccharide or TNF{alpha} in the presence or absence of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). mRNA and cellular proteins were processed for gene expression studies, and transient transfection experiments were performed to investigate molecular mechanisms involved in the effects observed.

Setting: These studies took place at the Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy.

Results: Lipopolysaccharide and TNF{alpha} induced VCAM-1 and ICAM-1 mRNA and protein expression, as detected by real-time quantitative PCR, fluorescence-activated cell sorting, and confocal microscopy, but this effect was inhibited when cells were incubated with DHT. In addition, DHT inhibited mRNA expression of IL-6, MCP-1, CD40, TLR4, PAI-1, and Cox-2 and the release of cytokines and chemokines such as GRO, granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, and TNF. The DHT effect was counteracted by bicalutamide, an antagonist of the androgen receptor. Furthermore, when cells were cotransfected with a Cox-2 promoter or a 3X-NF-{kappa}B luciferase reporter vector and a plasmid expressing the human androgen receptor, DHT treatment inhibited the increase of the luciferase activity observed with TNF{alpha}.

Conclusion: DHT could positively regulate endothelial function through the control of the inflammatory response mediated by nuclear factor-{kappa}B in endothelial cells.