Bald Men Are Three Times As Likely To Get Prostate Cancer, Canadian Study Finds

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know about this finding due to @That Guy posting it in another thread.

http://www.cantechletter.com/2017/0...ely-get-prostate-cancer-canadian-study-finds/

Bald men are three times as likely to get prostate cancer, Canadian study finds
January 23, 2017 By Jayson MacLean

bald-400x300.jpg

A new study from the University of Toronto finds that baldness in men has a strong correlation with the risk of developing prostate cancer.

The most common cancer for men in Canada, studies have already determined a few known risk factors for prostate cancer including advancing age, family history and certain genetic markers. But the connection between male pattern baldness and prostate cancer is a more recent finding, with researchers attributing the link to high testosterone levels.

The new study involved 394 men with no past history of prostate cancer who underwent a biopsy screening at the Princess Margaret hospital in Toronto, with the men being scored on a modified version of the Norwood scale for baldness – a well-used ranking of baldness that runs from one to seven (researchers scored the men’s hair loss on a scale from one to five). The researchers found that male pattern baldness represents a “strong and independent risk factor” for prostate cancer and that the higher the grade of baldness, the higher the risk of developing prostate cancer.

“We were trying to be a bit provocative (about the genetic tests), but it’s true,” said Dr. Neil Fleshner, head of urology at Toronto’s Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and co-author of the study published in the Canadian Urological Association Journal. “If you get it (baldness) early and you get a lot of it, those people are particularly at risk.”

Prostate cancer represents 21 per cent of all new cancers in men and is the third leading cause of death from cancer in men, according to the Canadian Cancer Society. Prostate cancer involves the abnormal growth of cells of the prostate and manifests through symptoms such as difficulty or pain when urinating or ejaculating, frequent need to urinate and blood in the urine or semen.

The researchers plan on following up with another study involving an additional 175 patients to look into the biological factors behind the connection. In the meantime, Fleshner says, doctors may well be best served by viewing male pattern baldness as a potential risk factor in their screening decision-making. “If they’re on the borderline of whether to do a biopsy … you may want to take into account the added risk factor of the men’s head of hair,” says Fleshner.

A similar study was conducted last year by the National Cancer Institute in Maryland, U.S., which found that men with moderate balding had an 83 per cent chance of developing prostate cancer and that any degree of baldness in men entailed a 56 per cent higher risk of developing fatal prostate cancer.

Epidemiologist at the National Cancer Institute and study co-author Dr. Michael Cook said that the overlap between prostate cancer and baldness is attributable to higher male hormone levels. “Male sex hormones called androgens, such as testosterone, are thought to underlie both male baldness and prostate cancer progression,” says Cook. “And our study, combined with others, provides an evidence base that supports the ideas of shared risk factors for these two conditions.”

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope the scientists had a genuinely competent explanation.

What I see in the article is "testosterone contributes to baldness, and testosterone contributes to prostate cancer."

I'm not impressed.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Oh great just what I wanted to wake up and read!

By this logic would finasteride bring the risk down?

DBlenks90

My Regimen
Reaction score
This seems like "correlation=causation" to me.

they were "trying to be provocative" says bias right?

Gone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and dutasteride have both been implicated over the years in increasing the risk of high grade prostate cancer, while decreasing the risk of low grade prostate cancer.

Perhaps DHT affects the prostate sooner and thus both drugs have a temporary protective effect?

However I'm not impressed by this study either, we already know definitely that balding men don't have "too much testosterone" or too many androgens, which is what they're saying is the problem.

DBlenks90

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry bad choice of words the analogy didn't really work. they kind of are linking the two?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry bad choice of words the analogy didn't really work. they kind of are linking the two?
They found a correlation which is very strong. They have another study coming up to test possible explanations.

So correlation has not proven causation here. Correlation has suggested causation, so they're going to test that in a study with 175 patients. That's scientifically responsible.