Bald(ing) fathers should make their sons aware of their fate

Illu2ion

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't get why fathers wouldn't do this to their sons. My father never told me anything even though he started to go so early himself. Surely it's your duty as a father to help your son with problems like these? And not helping in the "you just have to accept it" kind of way, I'm talking about early diagnosis, what to expect, what treatments are available, the opinion of women/society on hair loss, how it impacts your looks, etc. It's not an easy subject to talk about and there's an argument to be made about making your him a bit paranoid, but when you look around on the forums you can really see what impact baldness has.

Just think about it, how much better would your son his life be when he diagnoses his hair loss very early (say NW1.5 or even earlier) and starts treatment right away?

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
What treatment?

I do 100% agree that families need to talk more about baldness though. If nothing else it'd definitely help people, young ones especially, to finally have the psychological trauma that goes with it acknowledged and get some reassurance that society is actually trying to help them rather than moronizing over acceptance (whatever that is) as an adequate fix.
But it's not going to happen until baldies stop kidding themselves and realize that not talking about baldness does not make them any less bald. We're not fooling anyone.

Illu2ion

Established Member
Reaction score
What treatment?

I do 100% agree that families need to talk more about baldness though. If nothing else it'd definitely help people, young ones especially, to finally have the psychological trauma that goes with it acknowledged and get some reassurance that society is actually trying to help them rather than moronizing over acceptance (whatever that is) as an adequate fix.
But it's not going to happen until baldies stop kidding themselves and realize that not talking about baldness does not make them any less bald. We're not fooling anyone.

Well, hopefully we have new stuff when our kids our starting to bald but if not, we could at least tell the truth about treatments like finasteride instead of scaring them with sides etc (f*ck those fearmongerers).

And yeah, shutting our mouths does not accomplish anything. I remember there was a debate going on a while ago about how we could 'raise awareness' for baldness. Right now this is pretty much impossible to do because most men would not want to speak out about it in public because it will be seen as weak/whiny by society. However, if we start educating our sons (AKA probably future male pattern baldness sufferers), we not only help them but we also help spreading awareness, though it is on a smaller scale. But hey, it's a start.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've already told my younger brother that he will most likely start experiencing male pattern baldness in a couple years and what he can do to stop it. Too bad he is too much of an idiot to accept the idea, I look forward to him getting smacked by the genetic baseball bat. If I were to have a son I'd tell him the same thing in his teens. All you can do is enjoy what you have really, with today's technology. hair transplant will never beat OG hair, but its something.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, this a thousand times but it's not just fathers, men everywhere should help a brother out if he is in early male pattern baldness, definitely if he is young and seems oblivious. At the turn of the year I was NW1 with no visible hair loss anywhere, In February I went for a haircut for a job Interview and my hairdresser saw a small bald spot on my scalp, bare in mind he's been my barber for years and the spot was about a third bigger than it's previous size, a hairdresser must have cut the hair of hundreds of early onset male pattern baldness sufferers but Instead of telling me he decides to say that It was like that because of the way I used to style my hair, and that if I combed it forward then it will hide it and eventually it will grow back in...And I believed him...Fast forward 4 months and I go for a haircut again, still male pattern baldness is not obvious to me or anyone around me and I get another haircut, kept the hair combed forward and the spot was covered, I hadn't thought about it for months, then I have a huge Telogen Effluvium sheda few weeks after 2nd barber visit and lose like 30% hair density in a week. Bald spot is on show and since then been steadily losing and hair looks like ****, luckily the crown has held up well since then and hasn't gotten too much worse but gone from NW1 at start of the year to NW2 hairline now. :(

If my barber had told me honestly I was showing early male pattern baldness on either of the two occasions then I would have looked into it and got on propecia right away to maintain that lovely head of hair. Now gotta go hard on the protocol instead and hope I can regain the density and hairline that I miss so much. And he was bald himself so It's not likely he was oblivious to the existence of male pattern baldness like most full heads.

The point about fathers in particular bugs me, I get if you got the gene from your mum, then maybe your dad would not know you carried the gene and may not be able to warn you, but if your dad is bald and a lot of close male relatives to him are bald, then he should warn you, it is the right thing to do regardless of if you seek treatment or not. Hair loss isn't something people should have to put up with. One of my friends made a joke about my receding hairline at work a while back, he's recently started receding himself and although he looks like he notices, (stares in mirrrors more, seen him check hairline once or twice) I don't thin he is seeking treatment/doesn't know about the options. I have no intention of telling him cause he is a grade A ****, hope he goes bald and then gets flak for it.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've already told my younger brother that he will most likely start experiencing male pattern baldness in a couple years and what he can do to stop it. Too bad he is too much of an idiot to accept the idea, I look forward to him getting smacked by the genetic baseball bat. If I were to have a son I'd tell him the same thing in his teens. All you can do is enjoy what you have really, with today's technology. hair transplant will never beat OG hair, but its something.
I did the same thing with my brother. And he said it isn't a big deal. That's what I thought too at his age but you don't understand until it actually starts happening.

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because many are in denial about passing the bald gene. Mine is/was.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, this a thousand times but it's not just fathers, men everywhere should help a brother out if he is in early male pattern baldness, definitely if he is young and seems oblivious. At the turn of the year I was NW1 with no visible hair loss anywhere, In February I went for a haircut for a job Interview and my hairdresser saw a small bald spot on my scalp, bare in mind he's been my barber for years and the spot was about a third bigger than it's previous size, a hairdresser must have cut the hair of hundreds of early onset male pattern baldness sufferers but Instead of telling me he decides to say that It was like that because of the way I used to style my hair, and that if I combed it forward then it will hide it and eventually it will grow back in...And I believed him...Fast forward 4 months and I go for a haircut again, still male pattern baldness is not obvious to me or anyone around me and I get another haircut, kept the hair combed forward and the spot was covered, I hadn't thought about it for months, then I have a huge Telogen Effluvium sheda few weeks after 2nd barber visit and lose like 30% hair density in a week. Bald spot is on show and since then been steadily losing and hair looks like ****, luckily the crown has held up well since then and hasn't gotten too much worse but gone from NW1 at start of the year to NW2 hairline now. :(

If my barber had told me honestly I was showing early male pattern baldness on either of the two occasions then I would have looked into it and got on propecia right away to maintain that lovely head of hair. Now gotta go hard on the protocol instead and hope I can regain the density and hairline that I miss so much. And he was bald himself so It's not likely he was oblivious to the existence of male pattern baldness like most full heads.

The point about fathers in particular bugs me, I get if you got the gene from your mum, then maybe your dad would not know you carried the gene and may not be able to warn you, but if your dad is bald and a lot of close male relatives to him are bald, then he should warn you, it is the right thing to do regardless of if you seek treatment or not. Hair loss isn't something people should have to put up with. One of my friends made a joke about my receding hairline at work a while back, he's recently started receding himself and although he looks like he notices, (stares in mirrrors more, seen him check hairline once or twice) I don't thin he is seeking treatment/doesn't know about the options. I have no intention of telling him cause he is a grade A ****, hope he goes bald and then gets flak for it.
How old are you?

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah but just because the dad is bald it doesn't always mean the son will be. Genetics are a lottery.

Isaac Newton

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bald people shouldn't bread. It makes no sense at all
-with-glasses-bites-a-a-large-loaf-studio-isolated.jpg